Page 64 of 137 FirstFirst ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 3407
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Elaborate? ^^^
    Trying not to be a spoiler.. but haven't you noticed all the Japanese stuff? And the fact they aren't in Japan?

Reddit has a huge thread on all the Easter eggs and symbolism; there’s an insane amount of detail.

I assumed the Japan connection was due to the director; Maniac is based on a Norwegian show.

Quote Originally Posted by tripice351 View Post
    Trying not to be a spoiler.. but haven't you noticed all the Japanese stuff? And the fact they aren't in Japan?
    I thought they flew to Japan to enter the study. I really need to pay more attention.

Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Reddit has a huge thread on all the Easter eggs and symbolism; there’s an insane amount of detail.

I assumed the Japan connection was due to the director; Maniac is based on a Norwegian show.
    I only watched the first ep, but I didn't take this to be located anywhere or any time specific. I thought at first they were in NYC, current time. Then there was stuff from the 70's-90's, and the Japanese styling.

Not terribly sure about the whole Japanese connection in the show given that the director is from the States (although he has lived abroad in Japan, as well as France and other countries).
    He was born and grew up in the Bay Area and currently lives in NYC. He graduated from UC Santa Cruz, so he's a Slug. According to Wikipedia he speaks English, Spanish, and French fluently (it doesn't say anything about him speaking Japanese). His pops was born in an internment camp, fwiw.

Also, he's the same cat who directed the first season of True Detective, as well as Beasts of No Nation (a film about Africa), Jane Eyre (an English Victorian story), and Sin Nombre (a film about Honduran refugees). He is also slated to direct the next Bond film, so his filmography is incredibly ecclectic/diverse. Dude has not focused on any one particular genre to date.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cary_Fukunaga

Also, fwiw, apparently the original Norwegian series is featured on NF right now (and the new series is supposedly "very loosely" based on it).

http://www.vulture.com/2018/09/the-o...n-netflix.html

I read the synopsis for the original Norwegian series and it doesn't sound anything like the new NF one at all...looking forward to diving into both soon.

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Is Fukunaga Japanese for skull f*cking?

F*ck ur noggin?

Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Staircase really started to drag on towards the end. I think it was originally released sometime back, in a shorter version, but didn’t see wide distribution, at least not in the US. Then they redid it to include the “recent” developments.

The film crew was definitely biased towards supporting the guy’s innocence though. They skirt around discussing some key points of the evidence until very late in the series. I won’t say more to avoid spoilers. I’ll just say it was a chore to finish the series, but felt I had to.
    I just got back from an onstage discussion about this film. It was basically an interview of defense attorney David Rudolf, and one of the films producers. We are acquaintances of David and his wife, as our daughters are friends at school.

I haven’t seen the entire series yet, but most of it. Pretty interesting. The whole Owl Theory is bizarre.
    And yes Peterson was weird as fuck either way.

Burned through Maniac in a couple days. That's a lot to process. What a trip.

^^^ I guess there is zero chance that there will be a season two, right?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

It's definitely a limited series. I actually really like that the limited series format is becoming popular. It attracts big talent, it's long enough to tell a long complex story, and there's no chance of it dragging on and getting stale.

... until somebody else comes along and tries to raise the dead.

Fuckers.

Not Netflix but available to rent: ‘Don’t Worry, He Won’t Get Far on Foot’ was really good. Great acting performances by Joaquin Phoenix and Jonah hill.

Finished maniac. Not entirely sure what the fuck it was about, but I'm pretty sure I liked it.

If no one is going to say it, that last episode of Parts was almost unbearable. I think I felt almost every emotion of my mental palate.

I cried multiple times just trying to wrap my head around his head, that place, his posts at the time, and his life.

I don't know if I am comfortable saying rest in peace. I definitely feel very uneasy to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Finished maniac. Not entirely sure what the fuck it was about, but I'm pretty sure I liked it.
    Something about the complete commercial saturation of our lives, the loneliness epidemic, and our desperate desire for something external that can cure us of our own internal demons. There's an interesting intersection with the resurgent interest in psychedelics as therapeutic psychiatric drugs. A common theme in that research is that they help people to step out of themselves, confront their trauma, and then let it go.

Maybe I missed it binging, but one thing that I can't figure out is why Annie wants to go to SLC at the end. Ellie died before she ever got there, her Dad is in NY, and Annie appears to never have been close to her Ellie's former fiance.

The Land of Steady Habbits.

Some here have already mentioned it. It has a SIDEWAYS feel to it mixed with The Ice Storm, and maybe some of The Weather Man.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 10-11-2018 at 06:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Mountain.

Amazing footage of old and new mountaineering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Mountain.

Amazing footage of old and new mountaineering.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Thank you
    It went down hill a little from the amazing opening scenes but overall pretty good.

Also been enjoying PBS series Civilizations on netflix.

Yea, there was too much flippy spinny stuff

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Burned through Maniac in a couple days. That's a lot to process. What a trip.
    We are 5 episodes in and stop watching to chew on the gristle every episode brings. This show is fucking with me in a very good way. Sally Field's character, and her whole arc, is ... psychedelic.

not netflix but just started watching this series on Sony Crackle streaming channel.. wh

Based on the Guy Ritchie movie of the same name.

Not as good as the movie but very entertaining.

Schitt's Creek season four is available now.

ozark

Norsemen has me laughing. Vulgar, bloody hilarity.