Page 124 of 137 FirstFirst ... 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,100 of 3409
    Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    ALL QUIET ON YHE WESTERN FRONT
    2 Thumbs Up!
    Easily in the Top 10 of War Movies.
    Much grittier than 1917, but not quite as harrowing as Come and See.
    Beautifully filmed, well acted, and the action sequences are intense. The opening 10-minutes is about some of the best anti-war imagery ever committed to film.
    Intrigued to read the novel and have the 1930 film in my NF DVD queue…
    Indeed! Glad you liked it. You definitely owe it to yourself to read the novel. It's fantastic. I think you'll really appreciate the 1930 film as well. Bump it up in your DVD queue so you can review it for us.

Luther: The Fallen Sun pretty good movie version of the BBC TV series (which is worth a watch too - on Hulu)

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

DRAGGED ACROSS CONCRETE
    The third feature from writer/director S. Craig Zahler (Bone Tomahawk, Brawl in Cell Block 99) is a stoically comedic take on the buddy cop formula. But those expecting rambunctious hi-jinx and loud explosions can look elsewhere; this is a heavily dialogue-driven exploit. In fact, it's the bristling dialogue and the strange chemistry between leads Vince Vaughn and Mel Gibson that will keep you glued to the screen. Zahler does wonders with the rhetorical device of repetition, with the the verbal patter throughout the film being entertaining and sharp. And the unexpected elements of ultra-violence help to shake things up every now and then. This isn't to say that there aren't a few missteps, most notably a somewhat heavy-handed commentary on police brutality and the internet/cellphone generation. And some scenes feel forced or out-of-place; In many ways the film could have benefited from a sharper sense of editing and it could easily have been trimmed by a good 30 minutes and still maintained its unnerving sense of slow-burn intensity.
    Overall it displays the mundanity and repitition of most police work (the long stakeouts, lots of “pounding the concrete”, etc.) which is randomly interrupted by moments of sheer violence. In the end, as stated above, this is a film largely driven by dialogue and the richly nuanced patter spoken by all involved should be enough to keep one engaged til the end.

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

DRAGGED ACROSS CONCRETE
    The third feature from writer/director S. Craig Zahler (Bone Tomahawk,

And the unexpected elements of ultra-violence help to shake things up every now and then
    I’ve seen how this goes

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Excellent movie

As is Arkansas

Dragged Across Concrete was my page top recommendation last night so I gave it a spin. Agree with the review above, a little long but enough action to snap it out of any lulls. The masked robbers are certainly psychotic. 7.89/10
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Netflix: instaView rec's

It’s on Disney +, but if your a big fan or U2, a casual one, or a fan of stripped down live music, check out “Bono & Edge: A Sort of Homecoming, with David Letterman”.

Good documentary of how they became the band they are and some great music between just Bono and The Edge.

we have a Disney+ thread.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

NARVIK
    While nowhere near as epic or incendiary as other WWII films of recent vintage, this little Norwegian effort is quietly engaging as it presents a lesser known side of the war, in this case the largest battle ever waged on Norwegian soil.
    The story is straightforward, balancing the battle with just the right amount of sociopolitical melodrama focusing largely on the tricky situation of Norway’s neutrality during the war.
    The acting is solid, the story is well paced, and the battle sequences may not be as grandiose as the likes of Saving Private Ryan, but they are taut, streamlined, and well choreographed.
    On the minus side of things, the characters are a bit stock, but I didn’t mind their thinness all that much as it served the story well enough and the pacing kept things brisk.
    All in all this is a decent effort worth the watch.

Last edited by dookeyXXX; 03-28-2023 at 02:46 PM.

For fans of I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson I saw season three is (finally) coming out on May 30th. Can't wait!

I'm a few years late to the party on this one, but just finished up Maniac. Not sure how I slept on this one before, but glad I checked it out finally. Emma Stone and Jonah Hill (the co-producers AND co-stars) were fantastic in their own rights, but to me, Justin Theroux, Sonoya Mizuno, and Sally Field's performances really stole the show.

It's impossible for me to do justice attempting to describe the show, so you'll just have to check it out for yourself if you haven't already. It's short and sweet with just 1 limited season of 10 episodes, which was perfect for this one. I'm glad they didn't drag it out, and they did a good job of wrapping it up. Kind of has an anthological way to it, with each episode having its own feel to it. Highly recommended.

^Have had that in the queue since it debuted, but have yet to dive into it.

I really wish to watch the original Norwegian version first, but it seems to have disappeared from streaming (it was available back when the NF revamp first released, but then went dark; can’t seem to find it on DVD, either).

^Have had that in the queue since it debuted, but have yet to dive into it.

I really wish to watch the original Norwegian version first, but it seems to have disappeared from streaming (it was available back when the NF revamp first released, but then went dark; can’t seem to find it on DVD, either).
    You REALLY owe it to yourself to watch it, dookey. I think this one is going to be straight up your alley. I too want to watch the Norwegian version but also can't find it any more, so I say just go ahead and watch Fukunaga's version regardless. Especially since he said this in an interview:
    “There is nothing from the Norwegian version, I think, in our show, other than the idea that there’s delusions, and the themes of loneliness and connection.” -Cary Fukunaga
    https://thenerddaily.com/new-to-netflix-maniac/
    I also like how it's sort of an alternate reality, based on a timeline split from the 80s, so it hits the uncanny valley notes HARD in the most satisfying ways. You'll see what I'm talking about. Just watch it. Trust me on this one.

In regards to RRR:

Quote Originally Posted by SorryBro View Post
    Everyone should watch RRR. One of the best action/comedy movies I've seen. Reminded me of Kung Fu Hustle, but better.

"The Man" (Ruju) should be an action star in the US. Haven't ever seen a ripped guy with that much machismo, emotion, and ability to dance his fucking shoes off.

Go in knowing there will be artistic/creative fight scenes and a couple music videos (that work) in the mix and just enjoy. Well worth the 3+ hour run time.
    I concur.

Finally watched it today. Took me a few hours to get through it, but I enjoyed it.
    My only complaint it that NF only had the Hindi version (it is a Teluga film) so the dubbing was often apparent and mildly distracting. But the fight sequences were visually arresting and the two leads were solid.

The Hollywood idiots churning out $250M+ action flix (I’m looking at you Marvel and Vin D.) could learn a thing or two from any of the myriad Indian film industries.
    RRR only cost $74M and had some stellar action set pieces.
    And while there was plenty of ridiculousness, it was way smarter and more entertaining than the last Fast film or any of the recent superhero efforts…
    Last edited by dookeyXXX; 04-08-2023 at 12:12 AM.

I’m really enjoying Beef.

File under “Why!?!?!?”
    Also file under “WTF?”
    Further file under “Unnecessary”
    Additional filing: “Netflix aims to erase, rewrite, and destroy cinema history…”

Wages of Fear remake underway:

https://deadline.com/2023/04/netflix...ok-1235321667/

I HIGHLY recommend watching the original 1953 French film, which is streaming on Kanopy, HBOMax, and The Criterion Channel.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I’m really enjoying Beef.
    x2

File under “Why!?!?!?”
    Also file under “WTF?”
    Further file under “Unnecessary”
    Additional filing: “Netflix aims to erase, rewrite, and destroy cinema history…”

Wages of Fear remake underway:

https://deadline.com/2023/04/netflix...ok-1235321667/

I HIGHLY recommend watching the original 1953 French film, which is streaming on Kanopy, HBOMax, and The Criterion Channel.
    A great film.

Already butchered in a couple of remakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

How does a remake erase or rewrite cinema history?

ACCIDENT - [in Cantonese w/subtitles]
    This 2008 slow-burn psychological thriller puts a nice little spin on the assassin-for-hire genre.
    Deliberately paced, well acted (the cast is great and features a few well-known HK actors), and featuring some clever set pieces, it’s a quiet little film with just the right amount of violent mayhem sprinkled throughout the twisted cat-and-mouse-styled storyline.

American Manhunt
    Good if you want to be reminded of how overblown the response was to the Boston Marathon bombing

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    American Manhunt
    Good if you want to be reminded of how overblown the response was to the Boston Marathon bombing
    The Waco shows on Netflix (movie and documentary) also show the overblown response that resulted in dead kids. Crazy.

Netflix absolutely crushed their Love is Blind live reunion show. No notes.

Wife and I just started the documentary "Wild Wild Country" about the Rajneeshees. There are six episodes and we watched the first one. Seems promising so far. The first episode covers the time up to where the Rajneesh decamps from Poona, India to start the new ashram near Antelope, Oregon. Definitely a crazy story that I really don't know that much about.

Found the two lead characters in Beef to be too depressing to watch more than 1.5 episodes.

Liked Night Agent, moved along quickly.

Florida Man after two episodes flows really well, two thumbs up so far.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime