Page 121 of 137 FirstFirst ... 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,025 of 3407
    Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    I can’t seem to find this White Lotus show anywhere on NF…???

Is it on “the secret menu”?
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Try HBO Max.
    I'm guessing he knows that and was commenting on the discussion of it being in this thread.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

EMILY THE CRIMINAL
    This is a taut little drama/thriller that doesn’t necessarily re-invent the genre so much as deliver nicely upon its familiar tropes, specifically that of a young woman fallen on hard times who gets sucked into the shady, criminal underbelly of Los Angeles.
    Anchored by a fantastic performance from Aubrey Plaza, solid pacing, a streamlined story, and filmed in stripped down neo-verite style, it’s understatedly gripping.

RIYL
    Stillwater; The Card Counter

Watched last night and I dug it. I like to see her fight back when most story lines have shown women doing the opposite, or relying on a man to do it. Seems to be an evolving theme of movies these days and I see nothing wrong with it.

Watched Pinocchio last night and the entire film stressed me out. The artistry and so forth was nice but could not get into it.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    Watched Pinocchio last night and the entire film stressed me out. The artistry and so forth was nice but could not get into it.
    While it didn’t stress me out, I couldn’t get into it either.
    I paid $20 to see it in a theater with a post-screening Q&A with del Toro and felt it wasn’t worth the $.
    However my two buddies whom I saw it with loved it. One of them, who has two teenage daughters, even exclaimed that it was going to be his family’s new holiday film that they watch together.
    Personally, I found it disjointed in its tone.

GUILLERMO DEL TORO’S PINOCCHIO
    Given del Toro’s previous filmography I was expecting a much darker take on the classic tale. Instead, we are given what feels like an update to the seminal 1940’s Disney version*, albeit with stop motion animation and a time shift to Mussolini era Italy (I am still trying to figure out del Toro’s fascination with fascism, given that this is the third film in which he uses it as an underlying theme). The film is definitely geared towards family viewing with musical numbers and slapstick humor integrated between the blunt social/political commentary, however the three never seem to mix cohesively making for an uneven endeavor. Additionally, while the character design of Pinocchio is great, a number of other characters seem terribly familiar in look and style, lending the film a disarming sense of deja vu.
    I also found the actor voicing Pinocchio to be grating and annoying.
    Of course, YMMV.

*In recent interviews del Toro has mentioned that the Disney version is one of his favorite films and left a lasting impression on him as a child
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

It’s a fair bet that some of y’all will find this film pretentious as hell.
    But I loved the intricate and eye boggling visuals and the meta philosophy of the story.

BARDO, FALSE CHRONICLE OF A HANDFUL OF TRUTHS
    Whether you go into it with ignorance or armed with basic Buddhist bravado, BARDO is a visual feast best viewed on the largest screen possible. It is a whirlwind story about life, death, identity, art, commerce, social media, memory, the past, the present, commerce, history, elitism, genocide, racism, as well as being an arty rumination on mid-life crises. It’s also a wonderfully giant puzzle with myriad pieces floating around and around, that when they finally find their place make for a richly layered story worth repeated viewing.

Plus this is probably one of the coolest trailers ever:

Last edited by dookeyXXX; 12-16-2022 at 09:52 PM.

Uuuhhh ...... I'm sure there on different threads, but I'd swear that's the third time you've posted your Bardo review .... subsequent reviewing expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Uuuhhh ...... I'm sure there on different threads, but I'd swear that's the third time you've posted your Bardo review .... subsequent reviewing expansion?
    They’re…

And it’s only been posted once before on the Unofficial Ongoing Current Movies In Theaters thread.

But I am more than happy to post it a third time or even give Bardo it’s own thread because the movie is that good…

Last edited by dookeyXXX; 12-17-2022 at 12:07 AM.

Plus this is probably one of the coolest trailers ever:

I have no idea what that movie is going to be about, but that was fucking cool. Best use of a Beatles song in awhile.

The Volcano.

Horrific tragedy, well done documentary.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

GLASS ONION
    I have to admit that this entry in the Knives Out franchise took me a little more time to warm up to it. I chock up my initial lukewarm reaction to the ADHD-styled exposition, wind whipped pacing, and paper thin characters. But by the advent of the third act I realized that all of those perceived shortcomings were merely writer/director Rian Johnson’s sneakily excellent means of misdirection and distraction. I fell for all the sleights and feints and red herrings and never guessed who the villain was, even though they were hiding in plain sight the entire time. The third act and conclusion are delightfully delicious as all the puzzle pieces fit together perfectly and even the predictable reveals still manage to come off as clever and elicit smiles and a few laughs.
    Definitely not as tightly woven as the first film, but still a richly engaging endeavor all around.

Fun film, but I'm totally flabbergasted that Netflix paid $470M for it. How is this company still in business?

Seriously. That's more than 10 times what it cost to make the film! It's a sequel, not even as good as the first film...which didn't make anywhere near that kind of money to begin with. Where is the logic in this? Gambling with other peoples money? Netflix is run by morons and it's really showing.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Fun film, but I'm totally flabbergasted that Netflix paid $470M for it. How is this company still in business?

Seriously?
    Reportedly, NF paid $450M for two Knives Out films, this one and another forthcoming entry.

But, yeah, I, too am flummoxed by their spending considering Glass Onion only cost $40M to make…

Additionally, based on its one-week theatrical take, which was estimated at $15M, had they kept it in theaters for at least 30-days, chances are they could have recouped at least the cost of the film itself.
    I am finding it hard to believe that they have amassed $450M worth of new subscribers just for this film alone…

Has anyone mentioned The Recruit yet? It was a good binge over the Christmas break.
    Hopefully NF hasn’t blown there entire wad and picks this up for a second season.

It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    Has anyone mentioned The Recruit yet? It was a good binge over the Christmas break.
    Hopefully NF hasn’t blown there entire wad and picks this up for a second season.

We watched that last week as well. Very bingeable, and pretty fun. I hope they pick up a second season, too. It's structured more like a network TV show, with one episode plot lines mixed in with the larger plot lines, which I like.

Liked the Recruit also. I went from "That Max is sick/evil/unhealthy" to "Wait, YOU CAN'T FUCKING KILL MAX!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Liked the Recruit also. I went from "That Max is sick/evil/unhealthy" to "Wait, YOU CAN'T FUCKING KILL MAX!!!!"
    I think that was the exact same thing my wife said.

It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Kaleidoscope was entertaining.

Hot Skull's been a very pleasant surprise.
    Who had Turkish scifi w/engaging characters film on their bingo card??

I just stumbled upon this fantastically puerile stop-motion animated gem from the fools who brought us Robot Chicken.

It would probably be heart stoppingly hilarious if watched through a red eye haze after downing several brews and inhaling copious amounts of ganja, but I enjoyed it immensely while being stone cold sober.

I also found it to be the perfect wind-down after a grueling day of getting paid to ski fresh Sierra powder…

GLASS ONION
    I have to admit that this entry in the Knives Out franchise took me a little more time to warm up to it. I chock up my initial lukewarm reaction to the ADHD-styled exposition, wind whipped pacing, and paper thin characters. But by the advent of the third act I realized that all of those perceived shortcomings were merely writer/director Rian Johnson’s sneakily excellent means of misdirection and distraction. I fell for all the sleights and feints and red herrings and never guessed who the villain was, even though they were hiding in plain sight the entire time. The third act and conclusion are delightfully delicious as all the puzzle pieces fit together perfectly and even the predictable reveals still manage to come off as clever and elicit smiles and a few laughs.
    Definitely not as tightly woven as the first film, but still a richly engaging endeavor all around.

Huh. I retained your initial reaction right through to the end - "paper thin" might be giving them too much credit - wife and I came away with the proverbial "Well there's two hours we'll never get back"

Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker is entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker is entertaining.
    That dude totally got fucked by some old dude, went back for seconds, then realized he got drugged and murdered him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    Brilliant, breathless

Thanks
    Echoing Mike Pow…thanks for the recommendation. Amazing film, not a fan of the ending but the entire film was a non stop version of the bank heist scene in Heat. Wow. And for those who don’t like subtitles….very little was said.

Athena…
    Last edited by Creeker; 01-14-2023 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Adding the film title

Quote Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
    Echoing Mike Pow…thanks for the recommendation. Amazing film, not a fan of the ending but the entire film was a non stop version of the bank heist scene in Heat. Wow. And for those who don’t like subtitles….very little was said.

Athena…
    In a similar vein, I highly recommend The Stronghold

In a similar vein, I highly recommend The Stronghold

Keep them coming! These are films for me to watch on the peloton or treadmill!