Page 120 of 136 FirstFirst ... 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 ... LastLast
Results 2,976 to 3,000 of 3396
    Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    ATHENA
    This is a gut-punching socio/political thriller that foregoes any lengthy exposition in favor of diving right into the action. Largely filmed in a claustrophobic close-up manner which creates a sense of chaotic intensity, the film comes out the gate at 11 and never lets up, delivering a white-knuckled emotional rush.

Brilliant, breathless

Thanks

THE FABLE
    Imagine Ichi The Killer as a deadpan and slapstick comedy mash-up. That pretty much sums up this flick, which follows the exploits of a badass hitman tasked with spending a year without killing anybody. I am sure some of the cultural nuances and humor went a smidge over my head what with me being a monolingual gaijin and all, but it’s mix of quirk and violence was entertaining nonetheless and the action sequences were pretty solid.

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

THE FABLE: THE KILLER WHO DOESN’T KILL
    The sequel succumbs a bit more to the treacley hitman-with-a-heart-of-gold trope and has some long stretches of moderately tepid drama, but the action set pieces are gonzo great. The opening assassin montage alone is with the price of admission and the apartment complex sequence is equally top-notch. Not quite as quirky or funny as the first film, but the action elements are super solid.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Was very skeptical but curiosity finally got me to click on Bullet Train and loved it

Super fun, fast and different. Great characters that I wanted to see more of. Definitely worth a watch.
    Just echoing mcski’s endorsement…

BULLET TRAIN
    While this film certainly doesn’t reinvent the wheel in regard to action films, it is a highly entertaining diversion that knows how to integrate humor and alacrity into a cohesive package.
    This is a moderately high concept and labyrinthine action comedy that embraces numerous tropes and cliches, but rises above them more often than not thanks to a great cast with great chemistry and pacing that rivals its namesake.
    Brad Pitt is front and center, channeling some of his early roles here (think J.D. and Floyd), but the tag team of Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Bryan Tyree Henry may actually steal the show.
    The up close hand-to-hand fight sequences are kinetic and clever, owing no small debt to the 1980’s work of Jackie Chan. And the comedic moments are nice, bouncing between ironic and snarky with ease and aplomb.
    Granted, some of the speeding train effects dwell in the uncanny valley and there are three completely unnecessary high profile cameos that serve no real purpose other than smacking of over handed fan service aimed squarely at the mainstream moviegoer and stalwart social media starfkrs, but these slights are fleeting amidst the high octane action and quasi-intricate plot. On the subject of cameos, there’s actually two cool ones, if you’re a fan of The Boys and Heroes.
    All in all this is an enjoyable action romp teeming with some clever moments and featuring a largely wonderful cast.

RIYL
    Bad Times At The El Royale; Smokin’ Aces; Free Fire

Re: Athena
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    Brilliant, breathless

Thanks
    Since you dug that, check out THE STRONGHOLD

Bullet Train made two hours disappear in a flash without a dull moment.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

The Taco Chronicles S3 is out and I just love it. This season shines a spotlight on U.S. taquerias and it is fantastic - the camera work, story telling, and food are just amazing.

EMILY THE CRIMINAL
    This is a taut little drama/thriller that doesn’t necessarily re-invent the genre so much as deliver nicely upon its familiar tropes, specifically that of a young woman fallen on hard times who gets sucked into the shady, criminal underbelly of Los Angeles.
    Anchored by a fantastic performance from Aubrey Plaza, solid pacing, a streamlined story, and filmed in stripped down neo-verite style, it’s understatedly gripping.

RIYL
    Stillwater; The Card Counter

Beat me to it. This was a great watch

EMILY THE CRIMINAL
    This is a taut little drama/thriller that doesn’t necessarily re-invent the genre so much as deliver nicely upon its familiar tropes, specifically that of a young woman fallen on hard times who gets sucked into the shady, criminal underbelly of Los Angeles.
    Anchored by a fantastic performance from Aubrey Plaza, solid pacing, a streamlined story, and filmed in stripped down neo-verite style, it’s understatedly gripping.

RIYL

Re: Athena

Since you dug that, check out THE STRONGHOLD
    Cheers

EMILY THE CRIMINAL

RIYL

Loved it

She's great in White Lotus season 2 too

I thought she killed it in Criminal Minds. Totally believable as a sociopath.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

PSA: Bitter Daisies is a hard pass. Quite possibly the worst acting and worst directing I have seen on Netflix

EMILY THE CRIMINAL

RIYL

Thanks for the heads-up on this one! I would add Drive (2011) to the RIYL. The ad exec. cameo was a fun surprise and perfectly cast.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    I would add Drive (2011) to the RIYL.
    Speaking of Drive, this is dropping in January:

Finished Wednesday last night. While it wasn't amazeballs, it was pretty well done and enjoyable, and fun to watch with my kiddo.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    Loved it

She's great in White Lotus season 2 too
    I liked the first season, but really hated season two despite Aubrey Plaza. I thought none of the characters were the least bit likeable.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I liked the first season, but really hated season two despite Aubrey Plaza. I thought none of the characters were the least bit likeable.
    Connie Britton is about the ultimate MILF in my opinion. Something about her….

Season one was better but season 2 got good around episode 5, took way too long to get going but I liked the ending. No like-able characters other than Portia maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Connie Britton is about the ultimate MILF in my opinion. Something about her….

Season one was better but season 2 got good around episode 5, took way too long to get going but I liked the ending. No like-able characters other than Portia maybe.
    Yeah, I suppose Portia was okay. Even Jennifer Coolidge seemed a bit boring compared to the first season. The family with Salieri, Christopher from the Sopranos, and the kid were all a waste of space.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    You realize that was intentional?

One of the themes of the show is rich people on vacation In beautiful places but utterly miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    You realize that was intentional?
    Sure, but it made for a nearly unwatchable show in my opinion. In the first season you had the gay hotel manager, the Jennifer Coolidge character, and the lady who ran the spa for entertainment and/or a likeable characters. It didn't seem like there were comparable characters in the second season and I missed that.

I would argue that all the characters in season 1 were not likable, but not as unlikable as in season 2 ...... as was entirely intended. I didn't even like Portia (whiney, feckless cunt). They're all reprehensible, and deserving of elimination, accidental or otherwise, which ultimately was the return factor - who dies and how does it happen? I was betting on the newly rich nerd (Aubrey's hubby), mostly because of his paranoid, pretentious twattiness.

I can’t seem to find this White Lotus show anywhere on NF…???

Is it on “the secret menu”?

I can’t seem to find this White Lotus show anywhere on NF…???

Is it on “the secret menu”?
    Try HBO Max.