Page 114 of 136 FirstFirst ... 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 ... LastLast
Results 2,826 to 2,850 of 3396
    Anatomy Of A Scandal

Very good new British political/courtroom drama series.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Anatomy Of A Scandal

Very good new British political/courtroom drama series.

I dunno man ...... seems a little 50 shades of powdered wigs/day time soapy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    ...As MF stated, watch the original Spanish version, 'cause dubbing is for suckers!
    YES! Glad you watched in its true form. Looking back on it, it is a film that stuck with me. Def made an impact and is pretty memorable.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    I dunno man ...... seems a little 50 shades of powdered wigs/day time soapy to me.
    Nope. Didn't get that at all. That trailer doesn't really carry over the series well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Perhaps .... but haven't watched the trailer, only the first two episodes.

Please, no commercials. For gods sake.

THE GENTLEMEN
    Guy Ritchie's 2019 flick sees a return to laddish form for the director (after taking "time off" to put out two Sherlock Holmes joints, a misguided Man From U.N.C.LE. vehicle, a King Arthur re-imagining, and a live-action Aladdin film). This film is more along the lines of Snatch and Rock 'n Rolla (it has a similar narrative structure to the latter).
    While not particularly new or fresh, the film unfolds as a wonderful thematic mash-up of gangsta, neo-noir, and whodunnit films.
    Ritchie serves up some crisp direction buffered by engaging dialogue. Add to that the fact that both the pacing and visual sleight of hand elements are quick and well honed with clever diversions and interesting plot twists abounding.
    To top it all off, he cast is brillaint and every actor present is in top form. There is a delicious performance from Hugh Grant and a sublime turn from Colin Farrell.
    And the soundtrack is pretty damn bueno, to boot.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Just finished it, great recommendation! Charlie Hunnam just became my favorite new actor, he’s incredible in this.
    crab in my shoe mouth

BURN OUT
    This French action thriller may be all carbs and little protein, but sometimes that's just what you need/want in a movie.
    Slick in style and familiar in plot, it at least knows to keep things moving briskly and populates itself with a solid cast.
    While largely predictable, there are a few minor twists to keep you on edge and the ending is nicely tempered, avoiding a happy tone in favor of one that is a tad more ambiguous and brooding.

Last edited by dookeyXXX; 05-15-2022 at 05:04 PM.

If you like Mike Myers doing cheesy Canadian humor watch the Pentaverate, its a 6 part series written by Mike and he is playing 7 characters
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

THE TURNING POINT
    This is a charming and disarming little Italian film that tweaks the buddy comedy and mashes together a passel of familiar tropes, specifically "the odd couple," "the elder mentor," and "give geeks a chance."
    The acting of the two leads is wonderful, there's plenty of film nerd moments lurking in the dialogue and in the sets, and there's a dark undercurrent that juxtaposes nicely with the lighthearted moments.
    And the ending. Wow. The cinematography is nice, too, lending the whole affair both a warm tone and a gritty neon noir sheen.
    This is what I would call a pleasant surprise.

Note:
    I highly recommend watching in Italian with subtitles.
    (I did not include the trailer because NF only posted the horribly dubbed English version online).
    Last edited by dookeyXXX; 05-15-2022 at 11:09 PM.

May 20th...

May 20th...

Oh yeah ……👍👍👍

On Amazon, but...

Moone Boy is hysterically funny

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

MIDNIGHT DINER
    I stumbled upon this little series the other night and am really digging it.
    Imagine Cheers without the snark and mean spiritedness and with quirkier (and more interesting) characters.
    There seems to be undercurrents of both Shinto and Zen running through the episodes, as well, which adds nice dimension to the characters and storylines.
    The show also provides a nice juxtaposition between quiet introspection and ribald and borderline blue humor.

I really wish there was a restaurant like this near me...

Last edited by dookeyXXX; 05-11-2022 at 07:42 PM.

NAJMRO [THE GETAWAY KING]
    This slick Polish crime film is like a gonzo Guy Ritchie endeavor jacked up on speed.
    Ultra fast paced and teeming with creative camera work and sharp editing, not to mention a charismatic and quirky cast, it's worth the watch and then some.

RIYL
    Bronson; Snatch; Crank; Chopper; Lucky Day

Last edited by dookeyXXX; 05-15-2022 at 05:08 PM.

THE IMITATION GAME
    This is an incredibly well written, well acted, and solidly directed WWII drama with espionage undertones. Based on the life of Alan Turing, who was instrumental in breaking the Nazi Enigma Code.
    It's also a quiet condemnation of how homosexuals were viewed and treated in Britain at the time.
    Highly recommended.

FWIW, the screenplay was written by Graham Moore, who recently wrote/directed the superb film The Outfit.

OKJA
    Imagine a cross between Charlotte's Web and King Kong and you'll kinda have the vibe of this film.
    Directed by Bong Joon-ho (Parasite), it sees the Korean writer/director returning to the giant monster genre which first put him on the international map back in 2006 with The Host.
    Okja, however, is a strange beast, never really finding a cohesive tone. It desperately wants to be a family friendly film like Babe or a Golden Era Disney joint, but it also wants to be a militant strike at the horrors of commercial meat production. Sadly, it can't have it's bacon and eat it, too.
    The core story of a girl and her pig is well done and heartfelt and the CGI is pretty damn solid (like Jurassic Park level). And there are some great action sequences and a number of nice twists. But there are also moments of uncomfortable violence--a rape scene and lots of butchering of animals, for example. Juxtaposed with these elements are two horrible performances meant as comedic counterpoint, but which ultimately mar a decent story: Jake Gyllenhaal flailing about in a weak-ass Jim carey impersonation and Tilda Swinton channeling the likes of Cruella de Vil and Ursula. Both of these choices might have been fine in either a Disney or Nickelodeon film, but they ruin the mood and fall flat here.
    Still, despite the jarring and distracting performances of these two, there's enough cool stuff going on in the rest of the film to recommend it.
    But it's definitely not a kid's film.

Last edited by dookeyXXX; 05-17-2022 at 11:17 AM.

OKJA
    Imagine a cross between Charlotte's Web and King Kong and you'll kinda have the vibe of this film.
    Directed by Bong Joon-ho (Parasite), it sees the Korean writer/director returning to the giant monster genre which first put him on the international map back in 2006 with The Host.
    Okja, however, is a strange beast, never really finding a cohesive tone. It desperately wants to be a family friendly film like Babe or a Golden Era Disney joint, but it also wants to be a militant strike at the horrors of commercial meat production. Sadly, it can't have it's bacon and eat it, too.
    The core story of a girl and her pig is well done and heartfelt and the CGI is pretty damn solid (like Jurassic Park level). And there are some great action sequences and a number of nice twists. But there are also moments of uncomfortable violence--a rape scene and lots of butchering of animals, for example. Juxtaposed with these elements are two horrible performances meant as comedic counterpoint, but which ultimately mar a decent story: Jake Gyllenhaal flailing about in a weak-ass Jim carey impersonation and Tilda Swinton channeling the likes of Cruella de Vil and Ursula. Both of these choices might have been fine in either a Disney or Nickelodeon film, but they ruin the mood and fall flat here.
    Still, despite the jarring and distracting performances of these two, there's enough cool stuff going on in the rest of the film to recommend it.
    But it's definitely not a kid's film.

I rather enjoyed Okja. I agree about their performances being a bit jarring, but I kinda liked Swinton in there. Same with her role in another Bong Joon-Ho film, Snowpiercer.

Wild thing is it makes a pretty salient overall point about commercial meat production. While I'm no PETA guy, it DID make me think more about pork specifically, as they are very intelligent creatures, yet they do recieve some of the worst conditions in those massive operations. It made enough of an impact that I try and buy pork solely from little independent, local family farms, and vast majority of my beef is from cows my family raises. Those guys get a happy existence in beautiful fields with big ponds, lush green grass, small numbers, and get totally left alone. I have become pretty adamantly anti-feed lot. So mission accomplished, Bong Joon-Ho. I still love meat and all, but it at least made a lasting impression. Enough to think hard about the sourcing of said meat and the humane treatment of our livestock.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Last edited by MontuckyFried; 05-17-2022 at 12:52 PM.

BLACK IS BELTZA
    This is an engaging animated film which mashes genres ranging from counter-culture enlightenment and insurgency to conspiracy theory paranoia, and cloak & dagger espionage, all wrapped up in a vibrant soundtrack inspired by 1960s rock and rhythm.

RIYL
    Fritz The Cat; Chico and Rita

May 20th...

Spectacular

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Spectacular

Just watched the first few. Like it a lot more than the second “season”, more like the first season

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Just watched the first few. Like it a lot more than the second “season”, more like the first season
    I agree. There was only one episode that was just okay to me.

Re: LOVE DEATH + ROBOTS S3
    I enjoyed it, as well.
    Although the season felt really short (there was only one episode longer than 20-minutes).
    S3 episodes also felt way more violent and bloody and less introspective than the ones in the previous two seasons.

My favorites were:
    "Bad Travelling"
    "Night of the Mini Dead"
    "Kill Team Kill"
    "Jibaro"

Re: LOVE DEATH + ROBOTS S3
    I enjoyed it, as well.
    Although the season felt really short (there was only one episode longer than 20-minutes).
    S3 episodes also felt way more violent and bloody and less introspective than the ones in the previous two seasons.

My favorites were:
    "Bad Travelling"
    "Night of the Mini Dead"
    "Kill Team Kill"
    "Jibaro"
    Bad Traveling was gory and great.

Jibaro was visually stunning.

I wish they were longer, some ended just as they got good.