Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Missing Rafter on the Arkansas River

A young woman is still missing 3 days after a boat of fellow guides flipped on the Frog Rock rapid of the Arkansas River. This Class III was running at relatively moderate water levels, below 700 cfs, at the time of the incident. Frog Rock has a history of killing and my quick research indicates at least 5 other incidents taking the lives of 6 boaters since 1990. It was her first season as a raft guide. Very sad.

This girl was my little sister's college roommate. After graduating last summer, they both moved to Summit County and skied/hiked together frequently. She was a friend of mine, but my little sister's best friend. Thoughts and prayers to the downed boater, her family and friends, and especially my sister.

Stay safe.
    Last edited by Tips^Up; 07-14-2010 at 04:49 PM.

That's awful PM sent with info

Isn't there a sieve danger right after Frog Rock? Maybe my memory is off. If so, that' may be where she is.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Second hand reports make it seem likely to be the sieve in Frog Rock Rapid where this woman disappeared.

At higher water it’s easy to avoid the hazard. For the flow at which this accident happened, the left line that avoids the sieve has rocks that hang up rafts. Here’s AW page:
    http://www.americanwhitewater.org/co...detail/id/357/

This accident is likely the third death due to strainers in Colorado this year of new raft guides. The other two were on training trips.

9news released her name. RIP Kim.

BUENA VISTA - Crews are continuing to search for the rafting guide who fell into the Arkansas River on Saturday.
    Advertisement

The Chaffee County Sheriff's Department says 23-year-old Kimberly Appleson of Breckenridge was rafting down the river with four other off-duty rafting guides when the raft capsized and Appleson and a man fell out.

The man was able to pull himself back into the raft, but Appleson was unable to make it back in the raft or to shore. Authorities say she was wearing a life jacket, but no helmet. She is described as a strong swimmer.

Search teams continue to look for Appleson in the Frog Rock area of the river where the rocks act like a natural sieve for the main water current. A previous lost rafter was once found in that area. They say divers will be brought in to look into the deeper areas of the river between Frog Rock and Buena Vista.
    (Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    Last edited by Tips^Up; 07-14-2010 at 05:06 PM. Reason: her last name is spelled Appelson

Ugh. This girl was a friend of a co-worker and a former employee of Empire Burger. So sad.

Yes, it sounds like the nasty seive at Frog Rock may have caused her "disappearance", although it's being reported that she wasn't wearing a helmet. She could've fallen out, hit her head and gotten knocked unconscious, unable to swim.

The sieve at Frog Rock becomes much more dangerous as the water gets lower. At high water all craft can take a left of center line down through the rapid and completely avoid the sieve. At lower water, most of the water flows right-of-center and the left line becomes very bony. A hard right to left move is required to miss the rocks/sieve at these levels. Kayakers can usually avoid getting too close to the sieve at all levels.

I was with a group that ran The Fractions about a week after this photo was taken:

This was taken in the very low water year of 2002. My guess is that the flow here is 250-300cfs.

I ran it first and setup safety on the sieve rock closest to the bank. We all hit the upstream slot cleanly and made the right to left move.

Here is what it looks like at 1,000cfs

The news is reporting that Frog Rock has claimed 6 lives since 1990. Three or four come to mind since I've been kayaking ('99).

RIP Kim.

EDIT: I'm very sorry to hear that you knew this girl, Tips.
    Old's Cool.

She was a great girl, full of energy, enthusiasm and passion for the mountains, up for anything, couldn't convince her that there was something she couldn't do. I know she had been actively ticking off 14ers this summer, including Elbert with my sister on June 25 (sis's bday- "We're the highest girls in Colorado!!!"). With my sister, the best female skier I've met from the University of Iowa.
    Last edited by Tips^Up; 07-14-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    cmsummit - pretty sure she lived in Breck last winter and did not work at Empire Burger (which, while delicious, would be a long commute).
    She worked there last winter. I met her a couple of times as my co-worker went on a few dates with her. Anyways, that's not important.

Old's Cool.

First, vibes, and good fortune to the searchers.

Second, would someone mind explaining what you mean by a sieve, I don't boat.
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Cop View Post
    Second, would someone mind explaining what you mean by a sieve, I don't boat.
    river sieve = an opening/slot/hole though rocks which water can flow, but will trap a solid object (person or log).
    Old's Cool.

vibes to family and frends++++++++++
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

So sorry to hear about this, vibes to family, friends and all boaters involved.

This hits home pretty close as I pulled a fellow guide out of that sieve about this water level a bunch of years ago, luckily for him it was just in time as his head just went under.

I truly hate that rapid at low water.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    Woman remains missing after
    3-day river search

HTTP://www.themountainmail.com/main....rticleID=19661
    Web Posted 7/14/2010 8:51:00 AM
    Article :

The three-day search of the Arkansas River continued Tuesday for a 23-year-old female river guide who was ejected July 11 from a private raft on the Arkansas River north of Buena Vista.

Chaffee County Undersheriff Keith Pinkston reported in a press release Tuesday that Kimberly Appelson of Breckenridge was reportedly a "strong swimmer."

He said she was among five passengers in the raft when it entered Frog Rock rapid and "high sided" about two miles north of Buena Vista about 5:30 p.m. July 11.

Two people, Appelson and a male passenger, were ejected from the boat. The male was able to hold onto the raft and pull himself back in.

Appelson, however, was unable to make it to the boat or shore.

The group lost sight of her and immediately called the sheriff's office via cell phone.

Pinkston said Appelson was wearing a life jacket but wasn't wearing a helmet although it was in the boat.

Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area River Rangers and Chaffee County Search and Rescue personnel began the search Sunday.

Monday, they concentrated the search around the Frog Rock area using underwater cameras and probing poles.

In addition, personnel walked the bank and used boats to float downriver to Buena Vista.

Divers searched deep holes in the Arkansas River between Frog Rock and Buena Vista Tuesday, Pinkston said.

He explained Frog Rock is an undercut rock with a split in it through which the main current of the river flows. The current creates a hole and acts as a sieve.

He said previous river accident victims have been recovered near the rock.

Other occupants of the raft included Rebecca Webb, 26 of Fort Collins; Matthew Weber, 25 of Fort Collins; Kyle Blakley, 23 of Boulder; and Jared Perrio, 24 of Lafayette, La.

Thanks for the update. I'm sure the fellow guides did everything in their power with the time and resources available. I wish them the best and hope they remember the fun times they had with Kim.
    If anyone else is interested, there will be a memorial in Chicago this weekend and likely one near AVA soon too. Let's hope the searchers have some luck and remain safe themselves. So sad for family, friends and everyone involved.
    Last edited by Tips^Up; 07-14-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Most recent article says that the official search was suspended last night. AVA volunteers are continuing to search but officials are "baffled." I spoke with AVA and am hoping there's a way I can help out this weekend. So sad, lots of people hurting right now.

http://www.themountainmail.com/main....rticleID=19684

They have resumed the search! They're bringing in additional search and rescue personnel, dogs and special cameras. I sincerely hope they recover her soon. I wish safety for everyone involved in the search effort and hopefully they can bring some form of closure to family and friends.

Sad news. Wishing they find her soon. Vibes to loved ones! RIP.

Interesting discussion on mountainbuzz about action/inaction on Frog Rock. I've never boated or personally looked at this section of the Arkansas. However, in 20 years, there have been at least 7 deaths at this section of Class II/III river, including a 12-year old boy, a married couple, commercial guides, commercial clients, experienced boaters, inexperienced boaters and my friend Kim.

From most accounts, Frog Rock is not a "classic" rapid. It does not contribute much fun factor to that section of river, the entire stretch is Class III or less. It sounds exactly like the type of section that could easily lull a boat full of guides or anyone else to take off their helmets and enjoy the summer sun as they casually float easy water and enjoy the scenery, each other, and recount tales of their commercial trips down Browns. The Arkansas has seen many human modifications: railroads, highways, developers, homeowners, surf waves, chainsaw removal of strainers, etc. I am not suggesting we start down a slippery slope of modifying every rapid. I am not suggesting that all deadly rapids be sterilized (like Class IV, V, V+ rapid - situations where anyone willing to drop into that section of river realizes the potentially deadly consequences). But after losing a friend to one specific rapid with relatively non-intimidating stats (Class III, 700 cfs), a history of killing and a widely know danger (there is apparently a small, hard to spot warning sign suggesting how to navigate the rapid at low water), I support the idea of modifying Frog Rock so no one else has to experience the loss that Kim's family and friends are feeling, whether it is plugging the seive with rocks or concrete, dynamiting the rock or some other alternative.

Rivers are dangerous, always have been, always will be. However, this section of river is not rated as an exceptionally dangerous spot and with minor modification, future lives could be saved. I don't have the knowledge or resources to fix Frog Rock, but I think it would be a positive change in our world.

If it was a man made obstacle causing the fatalities, I'd say get rid of it. I can't, however, support the alteration/removal of a natural feature(Frog Rock) just to make the run "safer". Whitewater rafting and kayaking are inherently dangerous sports and one must possess knowledge and awareness of the river they are boating. Construct better signs to warn boaters of the deadly hazard that lies downstream and either portage or boat at your own risk. I just personally feel that if they remove this hazard it could be used in the future as a reason to alter other rivers.

I feel terrible about this accident and extend my dearest condolences to family and friends, but I'm more of a "proceed at your own risk" type of person and know what you're getting yourself into.
    Old's Cool.

I keep finding out that I have tons of two steps of separation here. It's crazy. Never met her though. My friends are down searching right now. I couldn't go.

Here's the first fatality this year on another innocous stretch of the Arkansas.

http://www.canoncitydailyrecord.com/...y.asp?ID=13752

What would you propose to do there?

Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    It sounds exactly like the type of section that could easily lull a boat full of guides or anyone else to take off their helmets and enjoy the summer sun as they casually float easy water and enjoy the scenery, each other, and recount tales of their commercial trips down Browns.

I do not propose doing anything anywhere, except at Frog Rock. I recognize that my personal stance may be emotionally charged, especially since, after an entire week of searching, my friend has not been recovered. Again I've never rafted or even seen this rapid, but to quote Missouri Boater on mountainbuzz:

"Its 17 to 13 in favor of the fillers/blasters including my vote in favor of filling. Did not count the ones who said that better signage & education would work (they won't).

I have a feeling that some of you posting your opinions against filling/blasting have never seen this God-awful place they refer to as a "rapid". You are basing your opinon on ethics..."Don't mess with Mother Nature". Well, this river and this rapid are about as natural as the hot-tub in my back yard. I've been paddling WW for over 20 years and have never seen a "beast" like this one. It seems to be just sitting there, patiently waiting for its next victim. It may not kill again today or tomorrow or even next year, but it WILL kill again. And there is no amount of signage or education that will stop it."

An interesting and informed debate. Since Missouri Boater's post, there have been 2 more in favor, 1 against. I support the idea of altering Frog Rock.

i would think that filling rather than blasting is a better option

Wow, that is one hell of a keeper hole she was in. Glad that the family finally has some closure.

She wasn't held in a hydraulic. It was a sieved out rock cave, more like a spaghetti strainer.