Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Karmic Good Deeds?

Everybody here seems like they are pretty eHard but when it comes down to it would you help some random stranger, no questions asked?

I've helped some Stephan Hawking type dude who had somehow tipped his motorized chair on a curb-cut, falling into the middle of the street, wheelchair on top of him. Tipped him upright and he took his head wand-thing and spelled out "Thank you" on his pad before motoring away. That felt pretty good. Also found two dogs wandering around some big truck parking lot and got a hold of one of the dogs who had a microchip identifier tag, called and got in touch with the owner, who had lost her dogs the day before.

Anybody done something to help a stranger/ friend, like pick up the ugly chick while your friend went after the hot friend or help some random stranger after an accident?

On friday I:

found a 20 on the floor and asked two people sitting at the tables adjacent if it was theirs- 2nd guy said yes.

gave a lady $10 who got on the train as it was about to leave gct w/ some story about how she and her son were stuck in the city w/ no dough. Seemed to ring true, but who knows. Also failed to point out that the conductor can simply take your driver's license and send you a bill...
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

PS- is your karma canceled out if you do things for karma?

Yah, but would you help someone you didn't know find a lost ski on a pow day?

I still remember someone I didn't know help me kind my ski under 18" at Alta.

I almost ran over Stephen Hawkings playing capture the flag at UCSB but stopped just in time to not plow him over. Does that count?
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nStick View Post
    I almost ran over Stephen Hawkings playing capture the flag at UCSB but stopped just in time to not plow him over. Does that count?
    is he related to stephen hawking?

Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post

couldve been me? I tend to do this a lot...ill give 15-20 min of my time even if its a deep day....there are usually many deep days at alta thankfully.

On our way down to the Outer Banks for vacation, we saw a dog running around on the highway. We pulled over and proceeded to chase him down. Got a number from his collar and called his owner. We waited at the nearest landmark (7-Eleven) for the owner to drive in from work and pick the dog up.

Felt pretty good about that because it would only have been a (short) matter of time before that dog was hit on the highway.
    Of all the muthafuckas on earth, you the muthafuckest.

No good deed goes unpunished-

Few months ago I stopped to help a woman frantically trying to flag down passing drivers. She had run out of gas, and said I was probably the 100th car by, but the first to stop.

She was late 30s or early 40s, not attractive, but not bad looking either. She said she was on her way to pick up a friend of hers who's son had died and needed to take her somewhere. She wasn't from the area, got lost trying to find the house and ran out or gas. I offer to take her to a gas station, and figured it would be about 20 minutes out of my way but worth the trouble, i wasn't in any hurry. Well this turned out to be a 2 hour clusterfuck.

She only had $10, so I offered to buy the gas can and keep it after. But then she convinced me to help her find her friend's house since she was hopelessly lost (from talking with her I detected a serious case of dumb blonde syndrome). So I drove her around while she babbled on the phone with her friend trying to get better directions. She couldn't give me an address... It took for fucking ever to find the place because the woman on the other end of the phone gave us the wrong directions. But in the end I picked up her friend, brought both of them back to the car, put gas in it and sent them on their way. I was glad to help, but it was a hugeeee pain in the ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post

a few years ago with about 30" fresh at stowe i was cruising through the trees pretty quickly... started bobsledding through a sort of gully and came around a turn and a dude was walking straight up the middle directly in my way looking for his ski. had to dive off too the side to avoid a collision that would have most likely ended in his death and i ended up in a creek with a pulled hammy and was covered with mud which soon froze after i left the water. was pretty pissed (especially bc he didn't bother helping me out of the creek(i was stuck)... but i helped him find his damn ski anyway.

[QUOTE=OldLarry;2915770]PS- is your karma canceled out if you do things for karma?[/QUOTE

I think so,
    and I think it get's cancelled when you expain what you've done.

ha, this reminds me of giving up after frantically looking for 2+ hours for my near new ski while on solo pow day in JH. Finally pulled the cord and worked my way back to the lift on one ski. I'm standing in line, resigned to have lost my fucking brand new ski when somebody in line pointed and said, "Hey, is that it your ski over there?" Somebody had carried my ski all the way down and left it at the lift shack. Weird, because I was in a pretty remote bowl, it must have submarined to who knows where.

[quote=EarlyWood;2915843]
    Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    PS- is your karma canceled out if you do things for karma?[/QUOTE

I think so,
    and I think it get's cancelled when you expain what you've done.
    Geez- so what's the point?

[quote=OldLarry;2915907]
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlyWood View Post

Geez- so what's the point?
    don't do it for Kharma, do it cause it's the right thing to do....hard to separate all of these things

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    couldve been me? I tend to do this a lot...ill give 15-20 min of my time even if its a deep day....there are usually many deep days at alta thankfully.
    I'll thank you then. Whoever helped me was either a ski whisperer or lucky. He found it in about a minute. It was near the top of number 9 and the guy bent a pole helping me. It was 5+ years ago.

I was cruising back to my house by bicycle last week and ended up with a pair of small dogs following me. One was very, very friendly and had a collar with an address, just a few houses down the street. Nobody answered the door, so I put him in the fenced back yard. The other dog (collarless) was somewhat less friendly and more wary, but ended up hanging out in the front yard of the house. I drove past that way a little later and the collarless dog was still just chilling on the front lawn.

Driving behind a guy that took a corner too fast and sent his dog flying out the window. Stopped to help the dog out because the owner took off. Waited for the guy at that corner for like an hour with no response. Finally some kid on a bike came by on his bike and told me he knew whos dog it was. I drove to the house and talked to the guy. He was flaming drunk and kicked and yelled at the dog. He gave me a PBR and told me not to drink and drive. I just poured it out, dont want to end up like that guy.

Not sure if it turned out to be a good deed or not. Should have just kept the dog, but I had no way of knowing he was a loser.

I helped a blind guy find the sidewalk and pointed him in the direction he wanted to go last winter when every one was driving around him in the middle of the street.

I'm a volunteer fire fighter & medical first responder. I guess you could call what I do good deeds since I don't get paid.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

I jump dead batteries and pull stuck people out of snow banks all the time.

Gotta admit I've rarely helped people I didn't know find a lost ski on a big day though.

For work I help people in the most dire need in the most personal ways, and frequently keep them from dying. Since I get paid I guess it's Karmically neutral.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

One morning a while ago after I picked up my 6 year old son from Grandma's house, we were driving through the country and I spot an old man and wife (80's) struggling to get stumps onto a cart attached to a lawn tractor. I went past their house to the next driveway and turned around, all the time my son asked what I was doing. i pulled into their driveway and the only thing I said to my son was "follow me". I introduced us and asked which stump is next. After loading approximately 8 heavy-ass stumps, the old man said he was going to lower the tailgate while going up a hill on his property and thus, my help is done. Shook hands with him and got in car and left. Son asked if I knew them.."Nope, that's just what men do...help each other."
    I think I did it more for teaching a life's lesson than karma.

Mr Worldwide - like Pitbull with a better vocabulary

Cool im not an expert but i play one on the internet

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    I helped a blind guy find the sidewalk and pointed him in the direction he wanted to go last winter when every one was driving around him in the middle of the street.

I'm a volunteer fire fighter & medical first responder. I guess you could call what I do good deeds since I don't get paid.
    you POINTED a blind guy in the right direction? maybe thats why you dont get paid.

as for OLD LARRY and EARLY WOOD, karma is like fucking other dudes wives, you keep your mouth shut and more find you.

and GATORBOY thats not karma, thats fucking awesome.
    "Yeah, yeah. you buy Playboy for the articles just like I watch Brokeback Mountain for the scenery... wait, that doesnt work."

I always paid my child support on time and eventualy when my older son came to live with me I was net making money after the gov sent me her disability payment for the one child living with me and I claimed him equivilent to spouse ...it was only about 5$ but still pretty good eh?

Too much of an asshole to help random people find skis on a powder day the vast majority of the time. Will always stop to make sure someones ok if they take a hard looking fall even on epic epic days though, and then since I'm already stopped I'll help find their ski if needed unless I'm with friends that didn't stop.

Other than that I'm sure (or at least hope) almost everyone on this board would help others in obvious need. One thing worth mentioning is to not always assume that someone's high out of their mind. One story that bugged me quite a bit:

Friends were in a parking lot, talking outside a store or something, and a car pulls up. Middle aged women in extreme distress offers them 20.00 to help her, she thinks that there's somebody in the trunk/back of her car. One of them goes to look, and there's of course nothing in the car. They explain to her that there's nothing there, and she still offers to pay, they of course refuse the money. Only thing is everyone assumed she was just fucked out of her mind, and proceeded to crack jokes about her to this day (happened 4+ years ago, and I just heard the story a few months ago). They could have seriously helped her out by calling EMS, if she was that high she shouldn't have been driving, but there's a good chance there was an underlying issue that could have been seriously fucking with her life. I guess what I'm trying to say is try not to assume things, even if you are probably right. Started volunteering at the mental health association here due to this story alone, but unfortunately won't be able to continue that for very long as I move around so damn much.

Last saturday at a festival I found 2 iPhones and a wallet. Called the last person on both phones and got the phone back to their respective owners, which involved hanging around for a good 30 mins whilst these dudes sorted their lives out, and handed the wallet in to lost & found.

It made me feel warm inside.

Someone could have helped this guy, but comedy > karma FTW: