thoughts on Sea Eagle inflatable kayaks?

they look fun and, more importantly, cheap. are they decently durable? good investment? any experience with one? really just want something i can cruise around lakes or mild rivers on, and not have to dump a bunch of money. the portability is attractive, also. good idea?

I am interested in an inflatable kayak. I had like a couple tandem inflatable, one of which would be suitable for use fishing solo in rivers. Overall, its very nice, no problem about budget and there is lots of fun!

I spent @ 2hrs in one last week, model 330?? not sure but it held two of us, @ 195lbs, 115lbs? very mellow water. The product seems very durable, tracked well with two, foot pumps quickly, deflates quickly. Not enough time in it for me to endorse but like I said, durable.
    I hear that solo, it's a bit fidgety.
    paging Sprite

Thumbs up

Yes, EW and I were on a sea eagle 330 and it's a great little boat! Easy to inflate, light, durable. I took it out solo yesterday at a little lake and it was great, albeit I think it is a little less steady with lighter weight. Definitely tracks better w/ more weight in it...

Also, the inflatables are more susceptible to wind and currents. It just means you have to work a bit harder but if you know how to handle a paddle this should be no problem really.

I honestly can't say enough about the boat. I'm happy for it and ended up getting it for $155 off the sports authority website. It came w/ 2 paddles, 2 seats, foot pump. I have added a paddle leash b/c I'm a klutz w/ dropping the paddle.

Right now Sports Authority.com is selling it for $199 and you can get $30 with the promo on their front page. Also if you go to the website and sign up for their email list I think you can get some more $$ off the price.

Good luck & enjoy!
    Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

nice, thanks! that is what i was hoping to hear. i believe the 330 is the model i have been looking at. looks like i'm gonna have to get one now for sure

edit. pulled the trigger on one of these bad boys. looking forward to some nice river/ lake cruising
    Last edited by nateski; 08-03-2010 at 12:10 PM.

FUN!!
    only did a mellow stretch of a nearby river, but it was awesome. super easy and fast to inflate. managed to fit two adults and an 80 lb lab- though it was a bit crowded. for two people, or just me and the pooch, it would be perfect. gotta take it out on a lake now. i'm stoked. thanks again for all the advice. and sprite, i ended up signing up for sportsauthority.com and got it for around $170.00. hard to beat!

check this out, Nate
    ... a remote lake, inflated both when we got there. The tube carried camping gear.
    .. stuffed deflated tube, kayak, foot pump in the Eagle carry sack and I played mule. Might try a carry pole next time ( from shoulder to shoulder) but it was worth it.
    Don't know about white water with this, nor have I used it solo but can definitely say this was a nice purchase by Spriteness. (and I was pretty skeptical).

Wow!!! I've never seen an inflatable "Tahiti"-type kayak towing another inflatable gear-hauler.

I've got the cheapster version of the Sea Eagle....basically a knock-off of the Sevyor Tahiti inflatable kayak...looks about the same as that pix, only blue.

Worst paddling kayak I've ever paddled. Even with the optional skeg.

I had a really sweet 17 foot Hydra Sea-Runner sea kayak (a Tom Derrer design)....but some fool stole the damn thing right off the dock. That boat paddled BEAUTIFULLY and FAST! So this $49 blue imitation Tahiti paddles like a Wal-mart plastic bag by comparison.

But the good thing about em is they are small and deflated don't take up much room.

But, if you wanna spend $399, yopu can get an inflatable kayak that actually PADDLES like a kayak, instead of a caroge (or whatever you call those round weird things that natives used to use).

the tube is from towing the kids days, finding a second life.
    $49 for an inflatable kayak? dood, you sure that isn't a walmart plastic bag?
    Nate, a dog in one of these is putting too much faith in the strength of the PolyKrylar? I'd be concerned about claws..

Anyway,
    getting smarter on the transport and more attached to this thing.

gunit130 Guest
    ^^^wow, so are these things a bitch to carry around or what?

how much do they weigh?

I've been wanting to get something inflatable for a while. Probably would use it to cruise a lake and fish, maybe a mellow river too.

depends on how far you gotta go..this lake is a mile in, the shoulder carry method gets old. Inflating it at the trail head (tried this also) gets weird through some tight shit plus you've got other gear to carry. If you can park your vehicle lake side, then shit no, they aren't a bitch to carry.
    The claim is 26lbs for the model330 but it's an awkward load and I'm sure they haven't included the paddles, pump or the sack. Plus for camping more shit goes into the carry sack. Then at the end you're putting it away wet...right gunnit?
    Anyway, I give you have the official EWood endoresement for your requirements.
    What more could you need?

Quote Originally Posted by EarlyWood View Post
    the tube is from towing the kids days, finding a second life. $49 for an inflatable kayak? dood, you sure that isn't a walmart plastic bag? Nate, a dog in one of these is putting too much faith in the strength of the PolyKrylar? I'd be concerned about claws.. Anyway, getting smarter on the transport and more attached to this thing.
    I think I paid 49 or 59 bucks new for mine. It's an imitation Sea Eagle. They are all over the internet. They're the blue ones. Rapid River. They seem pretty durable.

the sea eagle website (i think..) shows one of the kayaks being hit with the claw end of a hammer. i figured a dog would be ok. maybe not?

that's an inflatable hammer

well maybe not, I dunno...just found the clip you're talking about.. I wouldn't do that. Matter of fact, I never thought of doing that..

ok, i gotta stop building this thing up unless they start paying me...then maybe I'll hit it with a hammer for em

Quote Originally Posted by EarlyWood View Post
    Nate, a dog in one of these is putting too much faith in the strength of the PolyKrylar? I'd be concerned about claws..
    I have two IKs (Sotar and Aire) and they've had cats, dogs, and racoons climbing on them many times over the last few years without any problems (I did pay more than $49 for them though).

yo refried...how do you like the sotar IK? I have an Aire Force XL, but was looking to supplement it with a brother...something that could hold a bit more gear for overnighters. I can do it in the Force, but I have to remove the rear float bag and strap some stuff down above the tubes. I was looking at their 11' model, but they are way expensive. How is the lexatron fabric? is it slippery? how about weight compared to an Aire?

I really like the Sotar, it has lots of rocker and goes over waves unlike the Aire or Stiletto which like to go thru them. it's a great boat for running rivers but it dosen't surf at all, but that could just be me.
    It probably weighs about 40-45lbs. with a spare paddle, water bottle and some crap behind the seat (btw the seat/bolster is very comfortable and the zippered pocket holds lots of stuff). I have no complaints with the fabric, It's fairly slick but it wont slip away if your holding on to the boat while swimming (or praticing self rescue). I have the tan fabric (Desert storm leftover material) and after 5 years it still looks new exept for some scratches on the bottom. Mine has the older drop stich floor and have never had any leaks but it never feels firm enough. the newer boats have an I-Beam floor, I've never paddled one and I don't know if they feel any differant.
    The only thing I would like to do with it is add more drain holes, but if I keep a drybag in back it really helps to keep water out of the boat. They're expensive but you can find deals on they're sales hotsheet, I paid about $700 for mine because it had a problem with the footpegs that I've never seen.
    Last edited by refried; 08-28-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Just a thought ? Good yaks do travel. the wilderness systems tarpon 140 scoots about 4mph. Buy used! Air scares without pow. Check westcoastpaddlers for home made pvc carts $20.00 then wheels! Great for trout, musky and popen ducks.
    "I, the undersigned,
    shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein
    and herein contained, et cetera, et cetera . . . fax mentis
    incendium gloria culpum, et cetera, et cetera . . . memo bis
    punitor delicatum!" It's all there, black and white, clear
    as crystal! You stole Fizzy Lifting Drinks. You bumped
    into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized,
    so you get nothing! You lose! Good day, sir!

Sorry if off topic, Like great Guns Girl's and Wiskey some things are worth the money (Buy used).
    "I, the undersigned,
    shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein
    and herein contained, et cetera, et cetera . . . fax mentis
    incendium gloria culpum, et cetera, et cetera . . . memo bis
    punitor delicatum!" It's all there, black and white, clear
    as crystal! You stole Fizzy Lifting Drinks. You bumped
    into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized,
    so you get nothing! You lose! Good day, sir!

i want to ghetto rig a sail for the sea eagle. maybe a simple pvc set up or something. any ideas?
    "he doesn't know to behold what the cold frost can do..."

http://www.seaeagle.com/accessories/sail/kayak-sail

this looks cool, but costs almost what the boat cost. surely i could make something myself for a lot cheaper.
    "he doesn't know to behold what the cold frost can do..."

The Sea Eagle is really nice as it allows simple storage and inflation. If you wanna go kayaking, you don't have to worry about hauling a large kayak (unless you just live near the lake or river so transportation wouldn't be a problem). It's durable (just don't bump it in something way so sharp). So I think you'll enjoy using one.