Page 1 of 73 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

College Football 2010

I think we all know that the biggest sport in US America is football, and the second biggest is waiting for football season to start. So let's just get this thing started.

Here's a July bombshell for the University of Spoilt Children:

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=5363479

USC won't be ranked in coaches' poll

This will be an unranked season for USC in USA Today's football coaches' poll.

Grant Teaff, executive director of the American Football Coaches Association, told USA Today that because the school is under major NCAA sanctions and prohibited from playing in a bowl, it will be ineligible for the poll.

USC filed an appeal with the NCAA last month, asking that several sanctions of its football program be reduced because they are "too severe" and "inconsistent with precedent."

USC appealed only certain aspects of the NCAA's ruling. Among the penalties were a two-year bowl ban, four years of probation, scholarship losses and removal of several victories. The school will accept a bowl ban for the upcoming season and certain scholarship penalties in football, but believes the full sanctions were unduly harsh.

According to USA Today, it was expected that USC would be eligible for the coaches' poll in 2010 because it planned to appeal, but because the school accepted the postseason ban for this season, it became ineligible for the poll.

Teaff released a statement in which he said the AFCA informed USC athletic director Mike Garrett, USC coach Lane Kiffin, Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott and BCS executive director Bill Hancock that the Trojans would be ineligible for the 2010 coaches' poll.

The coaches' poll is one of the rankings used in the formula to determine the BCS standings.

"American Football Coaches Association policy dictates that AFCA members who serve on the board of voters to determine national ranking shall not vote on any institution on major probation," Teaff said in the statement.

"Penalties imposed by the NCAA, or a representative conference, are classified as 'major' if the penalties include loss of postseason bowl participation and/or television appearances, and/or loss of 20 percent or more of grants in aid."

The NCAA's sanctions will not prevent USC from being considered for The Associated Press' poll, which is not part of the BCS formula.

In an e-mail to the Los Angeles Times last month, in which she said USC would keep its 2004 AP national title, AP sports editor Terry Taylor said: "The poll is intended to measure on-field performance. If teams are allowed to play, they're allowed to be ranked and USC certainly played in 2004."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres

Quote Originally Posted by Derider View Post
    I think we all know that the biggest sport in US America is football, and the second biggest is waiting for football season to start. So let's just get this thing started.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=5363479
    That's a shame.

I still get the strange urge to start doing wind sprints every July, for August 2 a days !!!

"You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

GO DAWGS!
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

58 days til kickoff and 30 or so til practice...I am getting fired up. My preseason top 5 to start:

1. ALABAMA
    2. Ohio St
    3. Boise St
    4. Oklahoma
    5. Virginia Tech

I think Ohio St and the winner of the Va Tech/Boise game plays for the title, although OU could get a spot if one of those slip up.

Bama is gonna be good...real good on offense with the two best running backs in the country, a starting QB that has never lost, a GREAT WR, and an awesome Oline.

Defense will be stout up front with perhaps a top 3 overall pick in Marcel Dareus at DE. Donta Hightower at LB is a freak and although young, we have crazy talent in the defensive backfield.

IMO, the fact that we have a true freshman punter and kicker is a big deal and our biggest deal. I think we lose a couple and end up top 5.

If Bama could find a way to win it again....I'd easily give up a really good....nevermind, that got me a lot of hate last year!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    If Bama could find a way to win it again....I'd easily give up a really good....nevermind, that got me a lot of hate last year!
    I think your lofty ambitions for the Tide last season kept ski techs drunk on free booze all last winter. Don't go there again, I beg you

If there is ever a year the Gamecocks make a move in the SEC it has got to be this year. Head Ball Coach has arguably the best team he's ever had since taking over and given how weak the rest of the SEC East is compared to usual, expectations are high in Columbia.

Our schedule sets up fairly well with our tough road games being at Auburn, Florida, and Clemson. We get UGA, Bama, Ark, and UT in Columbia. Ultimately it will come down to how well our young offensive line comes together. We have a new line coach from App State, so expect to see less fun n gun and more of a zone read style, which we had success with against UF and Clemson last season.

As for Bama, what do the following teams have in common: South Carolina, Ole Miss, Tennessee, LSU, Mississippi State, and Auburn?

They all have byes before getting to play the defending national champs. A potential stumbling block? Big Bad Bama even complained to the SEC that it wasn't fair....ultimately I think they moved a game to Thursday so they would more time to prepare for the Iron Bowl. But the rest of the schedule remains.

Another funny story hit the wires today: Southern Cal And Tennessee were invited to play in the chick fil a kickoff game Labor Day weekend Saturday....but sadly UT backed out. Ole Dooley is going to have his work cut out for him in Knoxville.

SCAR scares me to death. Bama travels to Columbia the week after hosting the Gators while SCAR gets the week off. The 6 opponents with bye weeks prior to Bama is crap. Bama hasn't lost a regular season SEC game in 2 seasons...that is ridiculous. Bama will be good but asking them to run that gauntlet again is asking too much.

I'll be in Tuscaloosa week 2 when Penn St comes rolling into town. Our new stadium expansion is done and Bama we'll have 101k ready to hammer the Lions.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

I think we all know that the biggest sport in US America is football,
    My buddy was telling me how ya can catch pro/college/highschool foot ball every day of the week down there ?

Up here ... nobody cares

Quote Originally Posted by ICEHOCEY77 View Post
    If there is ever a year the Gamecocks make a move in the SEC it has got to be this year. Head Ball Coach has arguably the best team he's ever had since taking over and given how weak the rest of the SEC East is compared to usual, expectations are high in Columbia.
    I hope the old ball coach took a few notes from the baseball team...
    This is the worst pain EVER!

If Andrew Luck can live up to his hype the Cardinal have a shot at the Pac10 this year, which is astonishing. Though I'm looking for Oregon/Oregon State to fight for the title.

^^^ even more astonishing to me is that currently the Cardinal are ranked 4th in scout.com team recruiting rankings
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

How's this a "bombshell"? Coach's poll has always eschewed teams on probation going back to its UPI days.

What's really curious is how neither Oklahoma or Alabama suffered major sanctions after some of their players were determined to have been paid. Were they also not allowed to be part of the Coaches Poll?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by sIlentRagE View Post
    If Andrew Luck can live up to his hype the Cardinal have a shot at the Pac10 this year, which is astonishing.
    The Indians had better develop a decent defense if they intend to be successful in Pac10 play. Their D was not very good last year.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I have no idea about how well my Terps are expected to play this year, but I do know that they will not beat expectations... and will likely break my heart (again.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I have no idea about how well my Terps are expected to play this year, but I do know that they will not beat expectations... and will likely break my heart (again.)
    This could be Ralphs last season. Recruiting has not really produced anything to write home about.

Viva, did you use the word Defense and PAC-10 in the same sentence ??
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    ^^^ even more astonishing to me is that currently the Cardinal are ranked 4th in scout.com team recruiting rankings
    The Athletic Director/President/Whoever better re-evaluate the school's stance on paying coaches and give Harbaugh a legit contract soon or else he'll be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    The Indians had better develop a decent defense if they intend to be successful in Pac10 play. Their D was not very good last year.
    Secondary problems for the tribe on the farm, not good in the Pac10 I agree.

How's this a "bombshell"? Coach's poll has always eschewed teams on probation going back to its UPI days.

What's really curious is how neither Oklahoma or Alabama suffered major sanctions after some of their players were determined to have been paid. Were they also not allowed to be part of the Coaches Poll?
    bombshell meaning it's an actual relevant college football story in in the middle of the summer. Put down the loker Viva.

Pitt opens at Utah. Fuck you Utes!

Can't wait, only a month and a half before the Utards get an unhealthy dose of Neon Dion!
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

The last major probation Bama had was because of paying players. 21 scholly losses over 5 years...crippled the program for a long time. A player in TN was paid 225,000....a booster paid the money but the University got tagged with lack of institutional control.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

^^^That's right, I recall now that you guys were nailed.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Go Bucks!

Our tests this year will be Miami, Wisconsin, and Iowa. I think we have a good chance to be in the NC game, and anything less than a BCS bowl appearance will be a disspointment. -Wait, that is just about every year anymore......

at least I get to graduate as a member of the big 12.

edit: the UT game in Lincoln will be insane!

Quote Originally Posted by PaSucks View Post
    Pitt opens at Utah. Fuck you Utes!

Can't wait, only a month and a half before the Utards get an unhealthy dose of Neon Dion!
    Fuck you Pitt! See you in the 3rd straight Big East "championship" game at Nippert Stadium this year!

Go 'Cats!

And when, please when, will my beloved Wolverines become competetive again?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    And when, please when, will my beloved Wolverines become competetive again?
    I bleed Maize and Blue - I feel your pain. Here's to RichRod's last season! GO BLUE!!!

^^^ congrats, you'll get LESS Miles next. Bad to worse.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL