Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ^^^gross

Quote Originally Posted by deepsquat View Post
    but I just go down the to local barber shop and scoop it out of the dumpster.
    Sure. I mean if you're already dumpster diving for leftover body fat to render into soap, you might as well collect some hair too.
    rad.

Whale sperm
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    ^^^gross
    Don't like split pea soup?

Quote Originally Posted by deepsquat View Post
    split pea soup (from that place in Solvang is the best)

Anderson's!!! Thankfully, you don't have to drive all the way to Solvang; there's one in Santa Nella too. Or you can just be boring and buy a can of it at the market.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Knew I should have kept my mouth shut. First flat in 3 years on my dh bike

Kind of odd......the stan's that was in my tube had definitely changed consistency. Really oily and wouldn't dry on my finger.

Oh well. Had a good run there
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

What the fuck ever happened to good old tubes, good tires and riding a clean line? I don't have a fraction of the problems you guys have. Maybe, like lph (us old guys gotta stick together here), I'm not as fast as some of you but at the end of "the race" the guy that didn't break down is the winner.

I'll be at Keystone on Wednesday afternoon if you want me to prove I'm not so fast

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Tapp plastics molding latex, two scoops in a 32 oz gatorade bottle, mix with water till it's about 4x the thickness of stan's. Lasts for several tires. Actually seals up holes.

For dh, I squirt straight stan's into some specialized 3.0 tubes through the schrader valve and use them like normal tubes. Haven't had a flat on my dh bike in 3 years.
    This still the go to? There is a 100+ page thread on MTBR with 50 different 15 ingredient mixes. Fuck that noise.

Tired of buying Stans.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I still do either this or use stans to dilute (contradicting what I said here 6 years ago). That mix starts dissolving the inside of some brands of tires. I haven't had any fall apart but the mix gets kind of brown so I'm assuming that's tire material.

Tires have gotten better. Using sealant to seal anything other than pinholes is just kind of a waste of time IMO. I really only use for an initial seal. If you're really ripping tires, the answer IMO is better tires, not better sealant.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

What's the word on the orange stuff? I've been doing latex caulk/windex/antifreeze/water for a couple years now. Seems to work every bit as well as Stans and only costs $2/qt. It dries out relatively fast though and I'm curious if the orange stuff is worth the extra dough.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    This still the go to? There is a 100+ page thread on MTBR with 50 different 15 ingredient mixes. Fuck that noise.

Tired of buying Stans.
    This is what I do. Works pretty well: http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...s-tire-sealant

Latex, I use the Mold Builder from the art store and mix it with cheap sealant from Home Depot. Similar to slime but cheaper then add a little water. Has worked really well for me. I typically put new sealant in once a year or so. It does dry up over time. The sealant was a bitch and a mess the first few tires but once you have the technique down it is easy and mess free.

I use half CaffeLatex and half art latex. The only time I've burped/flatted in the past few years is when I've been stupid and haven't added a fresh batch to my tires on a yearly schedule.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Arty! Where you been man?

Blah tubeless.blah. I guess if you ride in a thorn zone. I've had two flats in the last 4 years, tubes just work.

I wonder how many people from the beginning of this thread are still using tubes, LOL.

Been mixing my own for ten, yes ten years now. Still great results. I run relatively low pressure and race a lot and generally like to ride fast over rough, rocky shit. Yes tires have gotten better too. I run Maxxis EXO 3C tires exclusively, high rollers lately.

I think I fucked up on my original post, I was using latex mold builder with water 1:3, not 1:4. I've since been running it a bit thicker 1:2, plus generous amounts of glitter. It seals holes pretty well and I don't lose much air. I renew about 3X/season. It does make weird snake skins all around the inside of the tire/rim. The stuff I've been using lately is $18/quart, makes three quarts of sealant, basically a lot. Same stuff $72/gallon, makes three gallons, that's years worth, even if you're racing. For comparison, Stan's at $25/quart retail would cost $75 for three quarts or $300 for three gallons.

The other thing that has been as big a boon to my setup is plugs for repairs. You can buy the bike ones, or the car ones, which are cheaper but they're BIG. You can cut them into strips and carry a variety of sizes. Get puncture or small tear that won't seal? Plug, pump, and go. No unmounting the tire or dealing with a tube. Shit's fast and easy, no mess, and it works. IME they fix about 90% of punctures and last the life of the tire. Awesome.

Bottom line: Latex mold builder with water 1:2+glitter. Carry plugs.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post

Been mixing my own for ten, yes ten years now.

Noob

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    I think I fucked up on my original post, I was using latex mold builder with water 1:3, not 1:4. I've since been running it a bit thicker 1:2, plus generous amounts of glitter. It seals holes pretty well and I don't lose much air. I renew about 3X/season. It does make weird snake skins all around the inside of the tire/rim. The stuff I've been using lately is $18/quart, makes three quarts of sealant, basically a lot. Same stuff $72/gallon, makes three gallons, that's years worth, even if you're racing. For comparison, Stan's at $25/quart retail would cost $75 for three quarts or $300 for three gallons.
    Do you mix up a whole big batch at once or make it as needed? Any adverse affects storing it once you add the water?

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Noob
    Hahahha

Quote Originally Posted by steeze_pizza View Post
    Do you mix up a whole big batch at once or make it as needed? Any adverse affects storing it once you add the water?
    I just mix it up 1 quart at a time in an old nalgene. Haven't noticed any difference storing it for a while, just shake well, and shake often before you pour. The gallon size comes in a paint can, seals real well, seems to keep basically forever.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I still "mix up" one of these once or twice a year. Seems like a pretty solid deal relative to the tires I'm actually putting it in.
    https://www.amazon.com/Stans-No-Tube...an%27s+sealant

Gravitylover: You're not better or worse than us for the unique experiences you have. You're just different. You're doing something different that none of us want to do, and so we appreciate tubeless for what it gives us and we have eschewed tubes for how they have let us down. So please feel free to keep your tubes, your high psi, your delicate riding style and your smooth trails. Just don't expect us to ask for your recipe.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Arty! Where you been man?

Blah tubeless.blah. I guess if you ride in a thorn zone. I've had two flats in the last 4 years, tubes just work.
    Thorns aren't an issue. Pinch flats are, but that's probably 40% of why I like tubeless. The other 60% is performance. Tires just work and feel better without the internal friction of a tube.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    just work and feel better without the internal friction of a tube.

Name:  Thats-what-she-said.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  67.0 KB

I use one of the big slime bottles to mix it in. It is a bit of a pain to pour the latex into the bottle but once it is mixed it is supper easy to just squirt a bead of sealant around the tire when installing or just pop off the edge to add more sealant when it needs refreshed.

This seems like a big pain in the ass to save a few bucks, unless it seals considerably better. Using numbers here and assuming one bike a year at 3 changes of Stan's a year, you stand to save about $7 per year by mixing your own. Pretty low price of convenience IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    This seems like a big pain in the ass to save a few bucks, unless it seals considerably better. Using numbers here and assuming one bike a year at 3 changes of Stan's a year, you stand to save about $7 per year by mixing your own. Pretty low price of convenience IMO.
    I started doing it because straight stans doesn't really seal anything other than pin holes.

After countless hours mixing, far too many destroyed tires, and lots of suspicious looking white stains on all my riding shorts, I can now confidently say that I now have something that at least rarely seals things larger than pinholes. #followyourdreams

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Trail Bike, DH bike, Wife's trail bike, Wife's DH bike. At least three tire changes for each, usually more. Plus there's usually some friends who need sealant somewhere along the way.

I go through about 1/2 gallon of sealant / season, so I save $30-40, and it takes ~10 minutes to mix up a big batch of homebrew.