Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What's the Hardest Thing You've Ever Done?

On purpose...Physically.

Your Mom... obviously.

I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

That's funny. Your Mom was easy.

Your both a couple of needle dick chumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    That's funny. Your Mom was easy.
    Basic Training.
    stopping cocaine.
    stopping tobacco.
    stopping drinking.

Basic Training prepared me for everything else difficult that I have encountered.
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    youretarded.

forgot to say

SNAP!
    youretarded.

Parachute insertion at 2400 hrs with full combat load hit the rally point and began a 20k timed land navigation course. The ride in was actually pretty easy.

windsurfing
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    windsurfing
    LOL

After the military stuff that one dropped like a hilarious turd.

Quote Originally Posted by Pillsbury View Post
    stopping cocaine.
    stopping tobacco.
    Ditto.
    windsurfing
    I found regular surfing harder physically, but yeah - I beat the fuck outta myself for three days trying to learn this damn sport before realizing I really didn't give a fuck and went diving.

Chores-wise the hardest was painting all the ceilings in our house in 2 days. 1 day one coat. I wished for death after that.

On purpose...Physically.
    Reading one of your posts.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Summit Rainier without any training workout prior to the climb. We were unguided so heavy packs.

Top three off the top of my head and in no specific order...

1. Learning rock climbing last year--First multi pitch trad climb up the Redgarden wall at Eldorado Canyon.

2. overnight ski-touring in the indian peaks.

3. Hiking the Appalachian Trail across the White Mtns in New Hampshire about 40 miles.

Reading one of your posts.
    Not surprised that reading is difficult for you. I bet comprehending is even more difficult.
    youretarded.

LOL

After the military stuff that one dropped like a hilarious turd.
    I know right... it was the perfect setup and IMHO I knocked it out of the park!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

high school basketball. nothing else comes close to that. There were days that coach brought out garbage cans for when we puked because he planned to work us that hard. 1 guy was even puking up blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

I know right... it was the perfect setup and IMHO I knocked it out of the park!
    Wind surfing is a bitch though...

winsdsurfing is easy compared to regular surfing. but i realy depends on your equipment. when i was 13 i got my first surfboard, a shortboard (mistake) and it probably took me 6 months before i stood up and rode more than 5 seconds.

hardest thing for me? physically? probably the inca trail. and i didn't even do the full thing. just did the 'day walk' starting down the road a ways but we climbed up to the top and down into machu piccu in one shot without being smart enough to acclimatize. i puke on winya wanya (sp?). stumbled the rest of the way to machu piccu weary and totally spent in the dark without a flashlight along massive cliffs. good times!

or maybe paddling out on a 10+ hurricane surf day in florida. constant grinders coming at you every 8-10 seconds, made it out finally, my arms were like rubber, then proceeded to get worked over the falls in the washing machine cycle about 3 times in a row. i almost drowned.

Getting outta bed the day after your father dies.

*buzzkill. I know I will regret posting that but I am sure some people can relate.

moving from summit county to Philadelphia for a girl.

Not me, but I watched my wife give birth twice. 100% natural with no drugs. That looked pretty hard.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Not killing anyone the day I quit.

Telling 21 talented, hard working guys & gals (more than 1/2 of whom were in other locations and I had to tell over the phone) that effective immedately they have no job, they won't be getting the paycheck that they were expecting in the next day for the prior two weeks of work that they had done, and that their health care benefits had been retroactively terminated to the end of the prior month because the company just went belly up and there was 0 cash to fund payroll or pay healthcare premiums.

I actually closed my door and cried for a couple of minutes (and I'm not the crying type) about 1/2 way thru the calls & meetings. It didn't upset me that I was in the same boat with them, but just killed me to tell so many folks with families that they weren't getting the $ they worked for & needed to pay their mortgages, bills, etc.
    Going where the wind don't blow so strange
    Maybe on some high cold mountain range

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    Telling 21 talented, hard working guys & gals (more than 1/2 of whom were in other locations and I had to tell over the phone) that effective immedately they have no job, they won't be getting the paycheck that they were expecting in the next day for the prior two weeks of work that they had done, and that their health care benefits had been retroactively terminated to the end of the prior month because the company just went belly up and there was 0 cash to fund payroll or pay healthcare premiums.

I actually closed my door and cried for a couple of minutes (and I'm not the crying type) about 1/2 way thru the calls & meetings. It didn't upset me that I was in the same boat with them, but just killed me to tell so many folks with families that they weren't getting the $ they worked for & needed to pay their mortgages, bills, etc.
    Not to get off topic, but how the fuck is that even legal? Certainly it can't be ethical. Jeres a big to the capitalist pigs that run that company.

Climbing my first big wall in Yosemite. I was working at the Curry Village Pizza place and going out practicing at LeConte boulder everday, setting up hauling systems etc... I planned to climb the typical first wall, South Face of Washington's Column, with a partner, but after a couple partners bailed (standard fare in wall climbing) I got fed up and anxious. So I walked up to the base of the Column and started up The Prow solo. Now the Prow is not a technically difficult climb, but for someone who had never climbed a wall nor aid climbed anything harder than obvious A1 it was daunting.

I planned to finish in 3 days and packed three days worth of food and 3.5 days worth of water (important later...). Day 1 went fine, slept on a nice ledge with a pitch fixed above. Day 2 started the trouble. I failed to reach the second ledge on the route and slept on a 'one cheek' ledge, but could at least get in my sleeping bag. Tired from the night before Day 3 continued Day 2's sluggishness, it was my first wall, solo, and I was slow. I climbed past the ledge I planned to sleep on Night 2, but Night 3 caught me still well below the top. I spent Night 3 at a hanging belay, wearing my jacket, and stuffing my feet/legs into my haul bag. I shivered that night away, just staring off to the east waiting for the first sign of daylight.

By this point I had run out of food and water. The Valley was hot that week, pushing 100 degrees, and soloing requires much more effort than climbing with a partner. I only had a couple pitches on Day 4 until top-out, but I was drained of energy. I felt like I was 'outside myself' just having to direct every movement and was getting worried. It took me the better part of a day to solo the last 2 pitches with no water and 95-100 degree heat reflecting off the granite wall before me. When I topped out I just stashed my gear behind a tree and essentially skidded on my butt down North Dome Gully back to civilization (ruined those shorts Luckily I got to the Village Store shortly before closing, ravenous and parched. I bought 2 gallons of Powerade, and 2 gallons of ice cream. I got through about 1/4 of that before realizing I was completely stuffed.

That night I went over to camp 4 to see a couple buddies. They had gone by the Pizza Shop but I hadn't been there... When I saw them, they asked me where the hell I had been? "Just solo'd The Prow" They knew I had just started climbing that year and had never climbed a wall (both were experienced big wall climbers) so the look on their faces was one of complete surprise. I found odd satisfaction knowing that one of them had just bailed on a solo attempt of The Prow a week beforehand, and here I was, this greenhorn, one-upping him.

I had missed a day of work as a result of my climb. My boss told me 'never again', then smiled and asked me, 'so how was it?'