Tiny tire, fat rim: Mounting issues

So I just built up a new wheel with a Stan's ZTR 355 rim, and now I can't even get my tire of choice (Hutchinson Python) to fit over the new hoop. I was able to force the first side of the tire on, but couldn't get the second bead over once the tube was installed; I broke 2 tire levers and was prying hard enough that I though I might bend the rim. Just to take the first bead back off the tire I had to rip the rim strip out from underneath it just to scrap a little more clearance.

I put a different tire on this rim with no problems, and I've also used the tire in question on other rims without any issues, so it appears to be a combination of larger rim/smaller tire diameter.

For reference, this is all on a 29er, and the rim and tire are both tubeless, though I am using a standard tube setup. I know that tubeless is tighter, and I've installed tubeless before, but this was just ridiculously tight.

Thoughts? I really like this tire, but am I just SOL?

Whatever side you're working when you are breaking tire levers, go 180 deg opposite -- diametrically opposite -- and make sure your tire is off the bead-hooks on both sides.

I'm pretty sure you're working against a hooked-in tire, instead of getting the tire off the rim hooks and into the inner channel. When the tire's beads are sitting on/in the inner channel, you have a lot more tire bead to work with. Enough that you don't need levers.

Basically, if you have the tire on the inner channel all the way around, you don't need tire levers. Ever.

Inner = nearest the spoke nipples.

Yeah, I know that trick but this rim doesn't appear to have as deep of a V as other rims. I agree that you normally don't need tire levers, but this appears to be something else and I thought there might be something else I'm missing.

soap and water to make the bead slide on the rim better, and make the bead (that is on the rim) slide to the lowest part of the rim.

Considered the soapy water idea, but then if I get a flat mid-ride I'm still hosed. I'm starting to accept that I need to find a new tire, I just really liked that one.