best way to run iphone through car stereo

(should this be in tech talk? all I saw in there was gear related threads. I'll delete this and start again if I get nothing but "tech talk jong" replies)

I have a '97 4runner with the factory deck. Right now I run a charger into the cig lighter and a cassette tape adapter into the headphone jack and toss the phone onto the passenger seat.

Ideally would like a cradle that has one plug into the main port to both charge and play music through the stereo. Would be best to keep the factory deck but not against swapping it out. Would prefer to control the music via the iphone screen rather than some tiny buttons on aftermarket decks.

appreciate any suggestions...thanks!

I have an aftermarket Sony stereo that has an ipod hookup in the glove box that you can hook it up to and control through the radio which actually was pretty nice -- not complicated and probably easier than using the ipod. However the communication with the Ipod hookup worked for a few months and is shit now. Fortunately they also have an AUX input on the front that you can plug your iphone/ipod into and control it how you want to. Pretty much every aftermarket stereo sold today is gonna have the AUX port on the front. You could probably spend less than a hondo and get what you need.

Edit: you can also get the shitty RF modulated setups that let you tune you ipod/iphone in on a radio channel but then you don't have digital CD quality sound. Basically RF modulation cuts out the highs and lows so your CD quality music goes to radio station quality. Some of them come with the charger, etc. that you mentioned. A good one is going to be close to the price of a low-end aftermarket radio though.

yeah, I live in a big city so I find the FM transmitters pretty shitty. The sound quality from the tape deck adapter is crap as well but at least there is no interference.

When you run the music through an AUX input I take it you control the music on the screen of the iphone rather than the stereo controls?

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    When you run the music through an AUX input I take it you control the music on the screen of the iphone rather than the stereo controls?
    yep thats how I use mine now.

go to

www.crutchfield.com

ask them, they have a billion options, and free tech support. I have a 98 4runner with an aftermarket alpine unit and I'll be getting a wire I plug into the AUX unit that charges my phone and lets me use the phone to pick the playlists.

Just click the talk to a sales associate thingy on their website and theyll talk ya through it. (free tech support.. nice)

^ seconded. Anything you buy from Crutchfield includes the dash fit kit and wiring harness. It just couldn't be easier and it looks perfect when you're done. I highly recommend upgrading to something with HD radio if you live in a large metro area that has a lot of stations broadcasting in HD.

Yeah, phones, stereos, cars, pretty much perfect for tech talk. Plus it will stay higher on that forum since it gets less traffic. Went ahead and moved it for ya .

Thanks for the thread, i was just wondering the same damn thing yesterday...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Easiest is to buy a new stereo. For less than $150 Crutchfield has what you need. I bought my bro-in-law one like this. Ipod plugs right into the front face and can be controlled from the deck or the Ipod and came with all the installation stuff.

Edit to add: It also charges an Ipod when plugged in. Bro-in-law tried those other adapter options, said the new deck is far superior.
    Last edited by Stikki; 07-02-2010 at 02:33 PM.

do not get a new stereo, do not get a shitty cassette or fm modulator (audio quality sucks). DO get something like this http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...X_DMX_V1B.html for your car stereo. it rocks, its cheap (70 bucks or so), it charges your ipod/ iphone, and its all tidy and hidden. i installed mine myself in like 15 minutes, you have to get the stereo pull tools also.

double check it but i think you might get this one http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...MLINK1_V2.html

sorry for all the posts but with these ^^ you control on the phone, you can also get ones that you control on the stereo itself, like this: http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s..._PA15_TOY.html

Quote Originally Posted by mmmthmtskier View Post
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback

Not the best sound quality but works well and cheap. You can charge the unit while it is playing which is handy...
    That's an FM TRANSMITTER.
    An FM modulator (like this Scosche unit) connects to the antenna on the radio. (I bought one but haven't installed it yet.) It's better than a transmitter (since it disconnects the car antenna when operating) but probably not as good as an AUX input. It doesn't charge your iPhone either.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

After my stock unit, I've had a couple aftermarket decks in my '98 4Runner. Currently I have an Alpine which has pretty good iPod control. Pioneer, however has decks that can control the iPod both through the deck and also allow you to use the iPod/iPhone screen.

You'll also notice quite a sound quality increase replacing the stock stuff. The speakers themselves are much better than what the original stereo can give them.

Here's what I use:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/autopilot

It charges, links up the audio and has basic controls. The cigarette lighter lead goes between the lighter socket and iPod dock, then the audio cable goes between the lighter unit and the rear of the headunit.

My bro gave me his old headunit that has an AUX input at the rear, then routed all the cables behind the dash, pretty slick:

Time to clean my car, that looks disgusting.

If you have a double din head unit space, a Scion head unit fits other Toyota models directly (same factory wiring harness; if you have steering wheel controls, they match up and function too). Most of the Scion units can control ipods, have hookups for satellite radio, and can play back MP3/WMA files off CDROMs. The Scion units are built by Pioneer and have decent RMS wattage -- sounds much better than the stock CD player I pulled out. They're generally available cheap on ebay.

I have a Scion T1808 (google it) in an '08 4Runner right now, with an ipod cable from ebay. I'm considering replacing it with a head unit with GPS nav built in.

The Scion units will charge and control the ipod, but you cannot maintain ipod control via the ipod click wheel. There are some aftermarket units that allow this, but it seems like most force you to control the ipod through the head unit. I usually just leave the ipod on shuffle when playing it through the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Payed way too much for a fm modulator... when it works it's OK, but it's a pain on roadtrips continuously changing the stations.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Yah don't screw with modulators/transmitters. They all suck. Get a cheap head unit from Crutchfield or the local best buy that has an aux input. Then you'll get digital sound for roughly the same price if you find a cheap radio compared to a better modulator/transmitter (they are really the same thing, don't let anyone on here confuse you). The person that said they were different was just pointing out a new way to modulate/transmit but it just goes straight into the antenna connection (meaning you can't use your radio if you want to). It is still "FM transmitted" into your antenna although you wouldn't have competition with other radio stations. It's just transmitted on a wire instead of wireless.

Back in the day you used to be able to buy FM "modulated" CD changers that mounted in the trunk and tuned in on a radio station. The OP is slightly confused.

Quote Originally Posted by unitofstuff View Post
    You'll also notice quite a sound quality increase replacing the stock stuff. The speakers themselves are much better than what the original stereo can give them.

This is another good point. Just get a cheap head unit with an AUX port. The newer amplifiers and features are gonna be alot better even on a low end aftermarket.

Use the bluetooths.

just buy a new truck that comes with that plug-in right in the dash

^sick shift knob

I have an Alpine BT113 in my car which connect directly to my iPod via the iPod interface acle allowign me to control it via the stereo. The unit also has built in Parrot Bluetooth which is nice.

Anyone mentioned just directly running the pod to an amp. No fuss no muss. Got my deck stolen outta my old rig and just had the thing plugged straight into the amp with appropriate connections.