Wall to wall carpet installment

Now that the interior of the house is bright and shiny after several weeks of interior work, the stair runner and second floor wall to wall (same carpet all around) is due for replacement. It actually still looks good, little to no wear, so the quality was top notch, but alas, its about 20 years old and its time to replace. My questions:
    1. WTF do I do with the furniture? Move it all into one of the rooms, get that empty room carpeted, then move all the shit into the newly carpeted room, and so on? Or does all the shit have to come off the second floor? This is my first time doing this, and I'm looking towards the fall to do it after shopping around for a deal.

2. Is there a worthwhile amount of savings if I rip it out and dispose of it myself?

Buddy of mine just did this.
    He rented one of those PODS that sit in the driveway for a week.
    Moved all shit out there, carpeted, moved all shit back in.

I can use my garage for that, the horror of moving all that shit is giving me nightmares. Especially since I just painted the halls and stairwell.

... ENOUGH about Demi Moore's bush in that picture already...
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

In my limited experience, your best discount leverage will come from getting all the crap out of the rooms to be carpeted (as well as any thing in the pathway of installation and removal). That makes the job easier and saved me the most bucks. Move it ALL to the garage if that works.

Removing the old carpet was a pain and I'm not sure it was really worth it in terms on the additional dollars wrangled out of the dealer.

Move it all into the kitchen and bathrooms. If it doesn't fit, throw it away.

My advice for carpet installation...find an installer, let them measure. Then go to the store and buy the carpet separately. Don't let the store hire the installer.

You have brought forth a truly amazing question that would stump the most intelligent of sages. Or else a really stupid question that any moron can figure out themselves given they know the resources they have without exposing how truly unable to think for themselves they are to everybody on the internet. I can't figure out which of the above are true. This is reaally mindboggling. I feel faint. I need to sleep now.

Quote Originally Posted by Moeghoul View Post
    I can use my garage for that, the horror of moving all that shit is giving me nightmares. Especially since I just painted the halls and stairwell.
    Sorry my friend. I can feel your pain as if it was my own. One thing I am sure of though is that you do indeed need to move your furniture in order to install new carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by Crass3000 View Post
    You have brought forth a truly amazing question that would stump the most intelligent of sages. Or else a really stupid question that any moron can figure out themselves given they know the resources they have without exposing how truly unable to think for themselves they are to everybody on the internet. I can't figure out which of the above are true. This is reaally mindboggling. I feel faint. I need to sleep now.
    Should I use a impact driver or an impact wrench for installing the carpet? Or a hammer drill?
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Move it all into the kitchen and bathrooms. If it doesn't fit, throw it away.

My advice for carpet installation...find an installer, let them measure. Then go to the store and buy the carpet separately. Don't let the store hire the installer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crass3000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BakerBoy View Post
    Should I use a impact driver or an impact wrench for installing the carpet? Or a hammer drill?
    I love this board. After much deliberation (being a moron) I'm going to simply spray paint the old carpet. Should look good as new and the getting high off the fuimes is an added bonus. Oh, and I'm gonna spray paint all the furniture the same color.

carpeting is gross. especiallly wall-to-wall. after living in an apartment with wall-to-wall parquet floors, i'll never live with anything else...except maybe tile. carpeting traps all sorts of nasties, wears, stains, and creates dust. avoid at all costs.

imho

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    carpeting is gross. especiallly wall-to-wall. after living in an apartment with wall-to-wall parquet floors, i'll never live with anything else...except maybe tile. carpeting traps all sorts of nasties, wears, stains, and creates dust. avoid at all costs.

imho
    Good points, I haven't ruled out hardwood flooring. The current carpeting was in the house since we bought it, so I won't know whats underneath/type wood/condition until its torn out. It's also helping to answer my own question whether to remove the carpet myself. I'm leaning in that direction. I'll prolly go and price out installation only v. removal and installation, then decide from there. Bottom line, if it's only a few hundred more for the contractor to move the furniture, remove and install, it'll be worth saving myself the ag of doing it myself.