Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CO mags: Driver's license suspension advice?

I just got a nasty letter from the DMV saying I've accumulated 12 points (all speeding) and need to call in to a hearing this evening to determine if I will lose my license for 1 year.

I live a commuter lifestyle and, needless to say I am freaked.

Any thoughts from the collective?

I think your screwed.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

stop speeding.

Get an attorney
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Rooster Guest
    Move back to Jxn!!

DMV will probobly give you a stern lecture with a final warning. Heed the warning because the next point is automatric suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    stop speeding.

Get an attorney
    both strong pieces of advice
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by nhtele View Post
    Any thoughts from the collective?
    Slow the fuck down.

Sorry that is all I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    both strong pieces of advice
    I'm not sure a lawyer would be good advice. The first hearing is informal with no immediate recourse. If they choose to suspend they will and your attorney can then request another hearing to dispute the suspension. That would be at least $1k in lawyer fees.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I'm not sure a lawyer would be good advice. The first hearing is informal with no immediate recourse. If they choose to suspend they will and your attorney can then request another hearing to dispute the suspension. That would be at least $1k in lawyer fees.
    I was tossing it out as a preemptive solution.
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

Research the cost of a bus pass?

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    I'm not trying to claim like I don't speed but if you're livelihood depends on it then slow down. get a lawyer that maybe can help you out a bit.

let me guess Subaru WRX? & too cool for school?
    Points on their own sitting way up high

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    fucking awesome.

Buy the DMV's website.

get a licence in another state before this get though the wire. then let Colorado take it.

speeding(if we are talking about limited access highway) is just a way of taxing and everyone shouldnt pay speeding ticket.

How are speeding tickets a tax? They're a fine. There's a difference.

limited access highways would be safer with out speed limits and some minor changes to traffic laws and how they are designed. The only reason for speed limits on roads like 70 in eastern colorado and 80 from SLC to chicago is to raise revenue and nothing else. These roads could be safely travels at 100mph+ with out issue except for well cops chasing you down.

do you know what is the safest road by miles traveled in the whole world? The Autobahn.

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    limited access highways would be safer with out speed limits and some minor changes to traffic laws and how they are designed. The only reason for speed limits on roads like 70 in eastern colorado and 80 from SLC to chicago is to raise revenue and nothing else. These roads could be safely travels at 100mph+ with out issue except for well cops chasing you down.

do you know what is the safest road by miles traveled in the whole world? The Autobahn.
    Right I wont debate the fact that I find your assumption that 60 mph is as safe as 100+ to be bull shit.

You only pay if you break the law, wouldn't it be far more accurate to call it a penalty rather than a tax?

Hmm, I think there would be an issue with a majority of North American vehicles regularly traveling at speed limits of 100 mph. It would be scary to have F350's and Expeditions traveling at that speed. Just my opinion.

BushwackerinPA
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phill View Post

"A lack of planning and preparation on your part does not make it an emergency on my part."

Right I wont debate the fact that I find your assumption that 60 mph is as safe as 100+ to be bull shit.

You only pay if you break the law, wouldn't it be far more accurate to call it a penalty rather than a tax?
    its not bull shit or an assumption. let people go faster and they lose focus less. Statically its safer to drive on the autobahn(a road with section where you can go as fast you like) than it is to drive on american highways. There are many studies done on crash/death rates on various road around the world the info is not hard to look up.

I am not advocating going 80 down you neighborhood street, I am stating most americans dont know what makes driving safe and what makes driving unsafe, speed has very little to do with it on a limited access highway.

Also if you dont think its revenue raising next time you get a speeding ticket offer to trade the fine for jail time and see what they say. Answer = they wont let you it cost to much to keep you in jail. Yes I actually asked this once in court just to prove my point to the district attorney that the system was bullshit and it was all about money. Left the courtroom with much less fine than I went in with.

its not bull shit or an assumption. let people go faster and they lose focus less. Statically its safer to drive on the autobahn(a road with section where you can go as fast you like) than it is to drive on american highways. There are many studies done on crash/death rates on various road around the world the info is not hard to look up.

I am not advocating going 80 down you neighborhood street, I am stating most americans dont know what makes driving safe and what makes driving unsafe, speed has very little to do with it on a limited access highway.
    How fast have you driven? In a regular car. Shit gets really fucking scary when you start going that fast. I find it hard to believe that if you've actually driven at the speeds you're talking about you think that you'd be safer than if you were driving at 40% that speed.

I'm sure the difference in safety has something to do with another factor other than the speed.

Also if you dont think its revenue raising next time you get a speeding ticket offer to trade the fine for jail time and see what they say. Answer = they wont let you it cost to much to keep you in jail. Yes I actually asked this once in court just to prove my point to the district attorney that the system was bullshit and it was all about money. Left the courtroom with much less fine than I went in with.
    Dude the point is if you weren't speeding you wouldn't have had to pay it.

Of course its revenue raising.
    But
    Do you really think the only difference between US highways and the autobahn is the speed limit?
    Keep doing more research.

Bushwhacker... If the stats that defend your position that a lack of speed limit are easy to find, post them up. Most of the literature in peer reviewed transportation journals doesn't agree with you regarding the speed limits and the American driver.

The gist of the research done after 1987 when Congress permitted states to raise speed limits seems to indicate no significant improvement in accident rate and an increase in fatalities. Many studies had borderline significant results, but none that I've seen have suggested a significant improvement in either accident or injury rates with increased speed limits.

Comparing the average American driver to the average European (particularly German) one is questionable. People make a big deal about the lack of speed limits on the Autobahn, but fail to mention the enormous power that the Politzei have to fine drivers they consider reckless.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

The Autobahn doesn't yield as many accidents, etc for numerous reasons. The roads are well built. The on ramps and off-ramps are long and allow room to speed up and slow down. The standards for automobiles is quite high. Inspections are mandatory and frequent. You will not see a 1979 two-tone Buick floating down the autobahn. Kids learn to drive on a the autobahn from a young age, in a solid car. Finally, you are ticketed for driving too slow, encouraging a culture that makes your driving experience consistent each time on the road.

Yeah, less accidents, but not simply because folks drive fast.