Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast
    ďThe OutsiderĒ on HBO. Just started up a week ago or so. Two episodes out. Very good. Reminds me a lot of True Detective season 1. Well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Just finished ďThe FeedĒ. If youíre into future dystopia SF, you might like this one. A bit heavy-handed at times, and the social-network-is-evil crap gets a bit worn; but the core story works, and the acting is solid.

Season one is apparently only chapter one of the novel itís based on; lots more to come.
    I couldn't get past episode 1. Found it choppy and, as you stated, heavy-handed. Just did not grab me.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

Messiah is pretty good so far (3-4 eps in) in that step-above-network kinda way.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    I couldn't get past episode 1. Found it choppy and, as you stated, heavy-handed. Just did not grab me.
    I was ready to give up after the first episode, but stuck it out. It gets better; not great, by any means- more like a Black Mirror episode extended to a full season. Glad I stuck it out; you might want to revisit when youíre bored and your movie queue is empty. ;-)

The book itís based on goes far beyond this first season; Iím curious to see how they make the next season work. If they stick to the book, itís gonna be dark as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    I was ready to give up after the first episode, but stuck it out. It gets better; not great, by any means- more like a Black Mirror episode extended to a full season. Glad I stuck it out; you might want to revisit when youíre bored and your movie queue is empty. ;-)

The book itís based on goes far beyond this first season; Iím curious to see how they make the next season work. If they stick to the book, itís gonna be dark as fuck.
    I never made it past the first episode of Black Mirror, either...

Quote Originally Posted by Sluff View Post
    “The Outsider” on HBO. Just started up a week ago or so. Two episodes out. Very good. Reminds me a lot of True Detective season 1. Well worth it.
    Fans of the X-Files will enjoy The Outsider. Starts out as a fairly straight forward police procedural but by ep3 it has the feel and structure of a classic X-Files monster hunt episode. Lead actor Ben Mendelsohn provides an Emmy level performance as the no nonsense skeptic (Dana Scully role) paired with the genius oddball savant, recurring Stephen King character, Holly Gibney.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goya_-_Que_viene_el_coco_(Here_Comes_the_Bogey-Man).jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	312691
    Last edited by neckdeep; 01-28-2020 at 10:54 AM.

Rewatching Umbrella Academy in prep for Sason 2 and picking up a lot of cool stuff along the way. Visually it is superlative and the cast/writing is top notch.

This looks intiguing...

(Based on a 2014 New Zealand film of the same name)

The last serial I watched was Stranger Things and I could say that it's the best serial I watched for the recent time. Despite the fact, that the main actors, generally, are kids, this show would be interesting to adults as well. The storyline, the plot is very interesting and grabbing, so the more series you watch the more breathtaking it is. And, one more thing, I'd like to mentionis that this show has already had three seasons and they're not getting worse from one to another. The directors maintain the quality and continue to attract the attention of the viewers. As Marvel movies, to my mind.

Can someone explain why Nora From Queens is touted as a great comedy show. Is it because she is Asian? Iíve tried to watch and donít find Awkwafina all that funny.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jfak7670 View Post
    The last serial I watched was Stranger Things and I could say that it's the best serial I watched for the recent time. Despite the fact, that the main actors, generally, are kids, this show would be interesting to adults as well. The storyline, the plot is very interesting and grabbing, so the more series you watch the more breathtaking it is. And, one more thing, I'd like to mentionis that this show has already had three seasons and they're not getting worse from one to another. The directors maintain the quality and continue to attract the attention of the viewers. As Marvel movies, to my mind.
    Totally

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Totally

Dude, don't encourage the bot!

I recently watched Chernobyl. Its a must watch and one of the finest in a long time. Amazingly directed and great story telling.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    This looks intiguing...
    (Based on a 2014 New Zealand film of the same name)

It's rather disturbing what passes for mass entertainment these days. If you can't present a compelling story without this kind of gore then you pretty much suck at your craft. Based on Walking Dead and the related spin offs and imitators it appears people find creative killing very entertaining.

As for Akwafina I agree. As they say "comedy is hard" and this unfortunately fails on almost every level. Quirky is just not enough.
    Last edited by Mudfoot; 02-13-2020 at 09:58 AM.
    Gravity Junkie

How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all?

New season of Better Call Saul is on Netflix, and a new season of Narcos Mexico is arriving soon too.

Modern Love on Amazon is really well done.

Kominsky Method on Netflix too. Alan Arkin and Michael Douglas.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I believe El Camino premieres on AMC this Sunday.
    Gravity Junkie

How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all?

The New Pope on HBO. Amazing, both outrageous and subtle, fantastic writing and stunning cinematography. Many layers and plenty of tits. Malkovich kicks ass. Iím hooked.
    And I guess that I just don't know

It's only two episodes but the BBC's The Pale Horse is enjoyable, and not just for its "f**king filthy twist."

Versailes, on Netflix, is pretty great.

McMillions on HBO is pretty good through the first three episodes. It details a scam run on the McDonald's Monopoly game, nobody actually won any of the big prizes. The story broke in Sept of 2001 but nobody really heard about it because the news cycle was busy with other news at that time.

Avenue 5 is pretty good. If you enjoyed Iannucci's The Death of Stalin or Veep, then you'll probably like this. My read on it is that this off-course space liner haplessly careening around the solar system is basically an extended analogy for poorly run, greed head tech corporations like Uber and WeWork.

War of the Worlds is off to a good start.

Outsiders is really fucking slow.

Mythic Quest on Apple TV is good.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Avenue 5 is pretty good. If you enjoyed Iannucci's The Death of Stalin or Veep, then you'll probably like this. My read on it is that this off-course space liner haplessly careening around the solar system is basically an extended analogy for poorly run, greed head tech corporations like Uber and WeWork.
    I have mixed feelings about this show. I so want it to be good, but it's lacking. The last episode presented an unfunny standup comedian. It was like a metaphor of the show. I don't think it's going to see another season.

Just finished Occupied on Netflix. 3 seasons. I enjoyed it.
    ďA society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.Ē
    ― Milton Friedman

Josh Gaad is about the most annoying person ever.

If it were Steve Carell thatíd be awesome.