Page 24 of 54 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    The CHI, Showtime original. so far really good, Chicago urban hood world with some funny dialogue

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams on Amazon. I'm only halfway through both, but so far it makes Black Mirror look like Ray Bradbury Theater.
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Not sure what that means - good? bad? apples=oranges??
    It's good--and then there's the apples and oranges. All of those sort of owe something to the Twilight Zone, but Electric Dreams was probably better written to start with and has higher production value. If you've never seen Ray Bradbury Theater you might watch one episode just for the intro...apparently they replayed that whole thing each week. On HBO.

All of those sort of owe something to the Twilight Zone
    Spot on.
    I do miss Rod Serling, or even better the hilarious impression of him by Dan Aykroyd on SNL.

TZ is some of the best writing that's ever been on TV. Serling was a genius

".......It's a COOK Book!!!!!!!"

Round planet

has Future Man been mentioned? laugh out loud funny. and Wolf turns out to be one of the greatest series characters ever.

any suggestions for new comedies? i'm running low and hitting up reruns.

^^^if you’re looking for some juvenile-ish humor then maybe check out American vandal. I thought it was funny as shit.

so I thought the ending to sinner was weak. strong start, kinda fizzles. Just my opinion.

Through about 4 episodes of Black Mirror and I am damned impressed. Very original stories, IMO very well done, but I'm a sucker for english accents to begin with.
    "Can't you see..."

Altered Carbon released today (netflix) - first episode sets things up nicely; cyber noir

Quote Originally Posted by CelebratedSkier View Post
    Schitt Creek on is also pretty good for thoughtless laughs and great wardrobe ideas...
    I've been watching this one. Not outstanding, but some solid laughs. You get Eugene Levy, Catherine O'Hara, and Chris Elliott in a show and how can it not be funny?

I started watching “This is us”.
    Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    I started watching “This is us”.
    Oops.
    In the name of all that is good and decent in this world, WHY?

“The Fades” on Amazon is worth a watch. A weird sci-fi-horror blend, with a British sense of humor.

Altered Carbon released today (netflix) - first episode sets things up nicely; cyber noir
    one of my favorite books. thanks for the heads up!

COWBOY BEBOP
    Perhaps one of the most sophisticated anime I've ever seen, in terms of illustration, direction, and storylines. Totally worth a watch, even if you think you aren't into anime at all.

BLACK SPOT
    Interesting French police thriller that owes slight debts to Twin Peaks, Monk, and Fortitude, although it's completely different from all of those. Great cinematography (you wouldn't expect anything less from the French) and great acting, with an intriguing story and some great twists.

THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE
    I'm having a love/hate relationship with this one due to the overwhelming annoying lead female character (the actress is great, but her character is, well, annoying). Great concept (alternate history), some great casting choices, and some intriguing storylines. I found the first 5 episodes to be incredibly gripping, then several of the characters become overwhelmingly whiny and self-centered and the whole thing dips into severe soap opera territory (but, as everybody knows, soap operas are incredibly addicting). As much as the series annoys me at this point, it also has me hooked and I'm curious to see what transpires for Season 3. Also has me tracking down the source novel as I'm curious as to how faithful they have been to the book.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    COWBOY BEBOP
    Perhaps one of the most sophisticated anime I've ever seen, in terms of illustration, direction, and storylines. Totally worth a watch, even if you think you aren't into anime at all.
    OOOH! Thanks for the reminder. Time for a re-watch! I watched that one back in the late 90s and it still holds up as one of my top picks of all time. Like you said, it's even awesome for those who think they're not into the genre at all. Even my wife digs it, and she usually rips on me for liking the stuff. HIGHLY addictive show that is totally binge-worthy. It's tough to stop once you start. Kinda like Pringles.

Even though it's about 20 years old, I'm guessing it will hold up REALLY well. Is that true?

Berlin Babylon on Netflix looks pretty promising, if you don't mind subtitles.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    OOOH! Thanks for the reminder. Time for a re-watch! I watched that one back in the late 90s and it still holds up as one of my top picks of all time. Like you said, it's even awesome for those who think they're not into the genre at all. Even my wife digs it, and she usually rips on me for liking the stuff. HIGHLY addictive show that is totally binge-worthy. It's tough to stop once you start. Kinda like Pringles.

Even though it's about 20 years old, I'm guessing it will hold up REALLY well. Is that true?
    Full disclosure: I never watched it when it first came out, so it was my first time. But I have to say that it looks and feels fresh (was actually surprised that it originally was broadcast in 1998).
    The action sequences alone rival anything live-action or otherwise. But the overall story arc and the characters are great (again, rivalling anything live-action out there, imho).

Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams on Amazon. I'm only halfway through both, but so far it makes Black Mirror look like Ray Bradbury Theater.
    Gonna give a nod to PKD's Electric Dreams, as well.

I powered through all the episodes in a day and while they are somewhat uneven, all of them are, at the very least, engaging, possessing of excellent production values (cinematography/cast/direction/music); some are way better than others ("The Hood Maker"; "Impossible Planet"; "Crazy Diamond" were my favorite of the bunch, but again, the others were decent).

I still haven't been able to get motivated to watch Black Mirror after the dismal first episode. RBT is pretty low-budget: I only managed to sit through a single episode and didn't bother to continue due to the poor production values and somewhat cheesiness of the whole thing. Perhaps somebody will re-visit Bradbury's work with a better budget. Given the superbness of his writing, it's a shame that his work hasn't transferred to TV and film better...

Altered Carbon
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Counterpart (Starz) - highest quality, superb plot, J.K. Simmons outdoes himself. Really, really good.
    Got to agree. JK Simmons is outstanding. He has great control in the subtlety of playing two different versions of the same person. The cold war inspired espionage plot is compelling. My poor drug addled wife finds it distorting and hard for follow the jumping and blending of characters between two parallel worlds. I try to keep her straight as best as possible so she can understand the twisting of the plot.

No doubt, it's a dense, dark, convoluted plot-line, with a dark, mildly dystopian atmosphere, but I'm enthralled - the emotional depth of Howard and Emily (x2) is making my jaw drop, and it's a top notch spy thriller to boot.

it took me a while to warm up to cuba gooding jr as OJ simpson, but american crime story is a great series. season 1 about the OJ simpson trial, season 2 about the versace murder.

High Maintenance on HBO is a pretty cool vignettey type of thing linked together through a bike-delivery weed dealer. The season 1 episode 3 one from a dog's perspective is really good.