Page 30 of 54 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I just finished watching Dead to Me. I liked that show a good bit. But be warned, I saw it was labeled a comedy. It was really funny at moments, and the characters are quite witty and sarcastic. But fuck, that was a dark emotional train wreck of a show. Not a comedy.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^^^Applegate is fantastic in that; wow.

Check out Fleabag. It’s really good, funny too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The Marvelous Ms Maisel is entertaining
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    ^^^Applegate is fantastic in that; wow.
    Holy shit, yeah she was
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Another Life on Netflix
    Half way through it. It's like a trainwreck that I can't look away from.
    Premise: Alien ship lands and Earth and sends a signal to a distant planet. Earth sends a crew to that planet to find out WTF.
    The train driver: US military calls up Starbuck from her retirement to command the mission.
    The train crew: The stupidest group of 27yr olds assembled for a space journey. You know they are going to run into trouble, but they never thought it would be themselves.
    The (multiple) train wrecks: Crew generally acts like a bunch of know-it-all children, and behave like children. (my wife constantly asks, "Don't they do any psychological testing of these idiots for mental fitness?") Crew mutinies and almost ends the mission before they start, wrecks ship. Crew lands on planet to scavenge for O2 and brings alien virus on board that infects crew. Crew lands on another planet in search of food / fresh water and doesn't check for any potential hostile life. Starbuck has her hands full trying to herd this menagerie of useless cats (if they don't kill her first )

Can't wait to get through the rest of the episodes to see if these dumbshits can in anyway complete their mission.

This is not a comedy. But, it is full of .....

Name:  startrek-picard-facepalm-700x341.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  27.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Heavy for sure. I’ll probably keep watching.
    Did you watch the whole thing? Watched the pilot over the weekend and could see this playing out great or terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Another Life on Netflix
    Premise: Alien ship lands and Earth and sends a signal to a distant planet. Earth sends a crew to that planet to find out WTF.
    The train driver: US military calls up Starbuck from her retirement to command the mission.
    The train crew: The stupidest group of 27yr olds assembled for a space journey. You know they are going to run into trouble, but they never thought it would be themselves.
    The (multiple) train wrecks: Crew generally acts like a bunch of know-it-all children, and behave like children. (my wife constantly asks, "Don't they do any psychological testing of these idiots for mental fitness?") Crew mutinies and almost ends the mission before they start, wrecks ship. Crew lands on planet to scavenge for O2 and brings alien virus on board that infects crew. Crew lands on another planet in search of food / fresh water and doesn't check for any potential hostile life. Starbuck has her hands full trying to herd this menagerie of useless cats (if they don't kill her first )

Can't wait to get through the rest of the episodes to see if these dumbshits can in anyway complete their mission.

Excellent summary - I, however, didn't have the patience to get past the even finishing episode 2 before bailing. Waaaaaay too much 17 yer old dumb-assery.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Did you watch the whole thing? Watched the pilot over the weekend and could see this playing out great or terrible.
    Almost through it. It’s very good. Doesn’t get much heavier really. The shock value maybe wears off a bit. Through episode 8 of Perpetual Grace Ltd. on Epix, such a great show.

TOO YOUNG TO DIE OLD (Amazon Prime)
    If you dug the last two films of Nicholas Winding Refn--Only God Forgives and The Neon Demon--then you may very well enjoy his 10-part mini-series Too Young To Die Old.
    It's visually stunning and weird.
    It has a strange juxtaposition of stiff, disaffected acting (the lead Miles Teller) mixed with severely over-the-top gonzo acting (William Baldwin, Hart Bochner), which gives it a tilted ambiance.
    Some of the episodes are really great, a couple are cringe-worthy, but overall it's an engrossing and off-kilter modern noir.
    The last episode is a bit frustrating (pretty much each entry is roughly 1 hour in length, but the final one is one 20-minutes) as it leaves everything hanging and completely up to the interpretation of the viewer. It feels like they were kind of setting up for a second series, but interviews I've read with Refn state that it's a "one-and-done".

RIYL: Twin Peaks; Only God Forgives; The Neon Demon
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

THE BOYS (Amazon Prime)
    If you have not read the source material (the 90-issue comic book series by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson) and you like a fat slab of the good old ultra-violence and sex and drugs, then you may very well dig this series.
    They have taken vast liberties with the source material (some for the better, but most for the worse) and a few of the casting choices are off (Karl Urban, Jack Quaid, the Queen Maeve character, and a few others), but there's enough here to keep you interested if you are down with a superhero escapade that is the complete antithesis of the Marvel Universe (it's a bit more on the Deadpool side of the spectrum, but even more off-the-nuts violent and depraved).
    Word on the street is that they have already greenlit Season 2 (one would hope so since the final episode of Season 1 is a cliffhanger).
    Not great, mind you, but an entertainingly violent and disturbed look at the darker side of superhero life.

Anyone else into Mindhunter? I love it. Season 2 coming soon.
    https://youtu.be/iZqsRDnzxUA
    crab in my shoe mouth

'Bout f'ing time. I was beginning to think it had been dropped.

Pennyworth (Epix): supposed to be a Batman prequel, but feels like something different enough to stand on it's own. Cheeky Brits, rollicking gore-fest, and intriguing alternate history. I'm pleased so far.

Loved mindhunder. listened to in the light again for about a week after the final. fired up
    "Can't you see..."

How bout the German series Dark? English dub is a little rough at first, but it gets better. Season one has a lot of build up, season two is incredible.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/dark
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Another Life on Netflix

I almost escaped watching this. I had stopped watching half way through the first episode, but then a few days later continued on with it. I really wish I’d followed my first instinctual impression. But now I feel committed to finishing the season.

OK, here’s another “spoiler”. So, apparently in the future when they are driving these spaceships around which have hallways wide enough to drive a car in, there will be a button by a door in one of those hallways where if you push the button the door will close and the spaceship will split apart at that point.

If this seems like a dangerous feature to have, not to worry, the button is protected by a hand scanner, so only “authorized” people can split the ship in half.

Seems like a reasonable feature to have, just in case a senior officer happens to be standing in the middle of the ship next to that door at the exact moment you crash into a moonlet off Saturn, and you have enough time to scan your hand and press the button.

So I was reading about new shows coming to Netflix later this year and read the premise for one called "Better Than Us." Did some digging and there's not much on it. Nothing on IMDB either. Ends up that Netflix bought the rights to a Russian show called "Better Than People" and I found the original trailer. It actually looks really good! Anybody know anything about this one?

If anybody here speaks Russian and could tell me what the hell is going on, that would be great. Haha. Looks interesting either way, though.

Looks like a more violent version of Humans

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    So I was reading about new shows coming to Netflix later this year and read the premise for one called "Better Than Us." Did some digging and there's not much on it. Nothing on IMDB either. Ends up that Netflix bought the rights to a Russian show called "Better Than People" and I found the original trailer. It actually looks really good! Anybody know anything about this one?

If anybody here speaks Russian and could tell me what the hell is going on, that would be great. Haha. Looks interesting either way, though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_than_Humans

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post

If anybody here speaks Russian
    Probably worth asking in Polyass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

i heard dear white people has a season 3!

Thanks! Sounds intriguing and maybe kind of fun. I'm in for the pilot! Hopefully it's just subtitled and not dubbed.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Probably worth asking in Polyass.
    Seriously! Haha.

Not the most well written article by a long shot, but the series the author lists all sound cool.

Several have been mentioned here already.

I have only seen two from the list: Fortitude (season 1 was great, 2 not so much) and Black Spot (enjoyed S1, have not seen S2 yet).

https://scariesthings.com/2019/07/28...1CXeDRPLRr1nIc
    Last edited by dookey67; 08-03-2019 at 01:37 PM.

Wire in the Blood and La Mante are good; agree on Fortitude.