Page 28 of 54 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    HOMECOMING + MR. ROBOT
    Plowed through all 10 episodes of Homecoming (Amazon Prime) on Monday.
    Great cinematography.
    Solid cast.
    Great score, too.
    Intriguing story, but you kind of figure out the "twist" pretty quickly.
    Runs solid until about episode 7, then derails a tad.
    The ending is a might smidgen sappy.
    But it's worth a watch, imho, regardless of its shortcomings.
    Mostly succeeds due to the combination of music and interesting camera work, which help to create a unnerving sense of surrealism for the first several episodes, leaving you wondering wtf is going to happen next more often than not.

As a result of mostly digging Homecoming, I ended up diving into Mr. Robot (same creative team), which I am 2.5 seasons into and am digging, even though it borrows heavily from The Matrix and Fight Club (as well as David Lynch). As with Homecoming, it has a great cast, great score, slick cinematic visuals, and even though you figure out a lot of the twists pretty easily, it's still a rousing mindf$%k more often than not. Again, the pacing, cast, music, and neon noir visual stylings make up for any shortcomings, imho.

Both series prove that Bobby Cannavale is an American treasure, at least in thespian terms.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    HOMECOMING
    Mostly succeeds due to the combination of music and interesting camera work, which help to create a unnerving sense of surrealism for the first several episodes, leaving you wondering wtf is going to happen next more often than not.
    Just came to post this. The first 5-6 episodes are very unnerving...like waiting for something bad to happen, but not sure what's (or how bad) it's going to be. I'm not a Julia Roberts fan, but I did enjoy this series.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Julia is indeed a quality actress, but her mouth has gone all kattywumpus.

#shallowfan

The podcast is definitely intriguing me after glancing at the cast, not to mention I've actually never invested time in a single podcast yet, so I'm kind of stoked to re-live the old AM radio days of my youth when I used to listen to E.G. Marshall's Mystery Theater late at night and get the willies. I just hope that having seen the Amazon series first won't ruin the imagination needed to really get gripped by the podcast

https://www.gimletmedia.com/homecoming

I am also kinda geeking on the similarities between Homecoming and Mr. Robot, both stylistically (no surprise since it's the same creative team) and visually (again, not a great surprise, but also cool to see stuff that appeared in Mr. Robot in the early seasons popping up in Homecoming, even though those images were also in the podcast, so it's probably more coincidence than anything, but weird coincidence nonetheless: I'm talking about the fish tanks and fish, primarily).

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Mau View Post
    Has anyone mentioned Startup? It's on Crackle (whatever that is) but I get it on Torrents.

We're into Season 3 . Damn good show.

Season 1 trailer:

Season 2 trailer:

Season 3 trailer:

Loved it.

Counterpart season 2, much to my pleasant surprise, is even better than season 1 (so far). I stumbled a little with the first episode, simply because my geezer memory of the first season couldn't keep up, but I got back up to speed and it's been riveting.

---POSSIBLE SPOILERS----

just finished watching season 2. a bit crazier than season 1, but super funny. this series is becoming my favorite comedy. i love all the references to other science fiction movies and how it plays into the plot. season 1 has last starfighter (or ender's game), terminator and back to the future, season 2 has mad max and the matrix, and looks like season 3 will be going into hunger games/running man territory.
    Last edited by Ripzalot; 01-21-2019 at 05:16 AM.

Detectorists was so damn good. Just finished the third season on Hulu.

This series is fascinating. Just started season 1.

https://youtu.be/_tmkFW4eun4

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Gotham 5 season
    Of course, the first season is my favorite.
    But I just can’t help but watch the new season .. I wonder what the creators of the series invented in the 5 season

anybody catch the michael jackson thing last night? Scare-y shit, with the parents being pretty much the worst of it.
    "Can't you see..."

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Mau View Post
    Just finished the second episode of Wayne. Funny stuff. Downloaded Season 1 off torrents.

Loving it.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    anybody catch the michael jackson thing last night? Scare-y shit, with the parents being pretty much the worst of it.
    Holy shit it was horrific. How people can still defend that bastard is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    Cheers
    I couldn't find that one on Netflix.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 03-08-2019 at 09:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Looking for new series to watch

Widow on Amazon is great.

Season 2 of “Tin Star” on Amazon is up; not as good as season 1. This time the story veers between slow, plodding, stretches of pure boredom and explosive bursts of wtf violence. Tim Roth is awesome, as always, and the rest of the cast do a good job, but the whole thing feels really dragged out.

Started watching For the People and really enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE
    I'm having a love/hate relationship with this one due to the overwhelming annoying lead female character (the actress is great, but her character is, well, annoying). Great concept (alternate history), some great casting choices, and some intriguing storylines. I found the first 5 episodes to be incredibly gripping, then several of the characters become overwhelmingly whiny and self-centered and the whole thing dips into severe soap opera territory (but, as everybody knows, soap operas are incredibly addicting). As much as the series annoys me at this point, it also has me hooked and I'm curious to see what transpires for Season 3. Also has me tracking down the source novel as I'm curious as to how faithful they have been to the book.
    Just started getting into this one. Nearly done with the 1st season. REALLY compelling show. Agree about your character analysis. Sometimes you just get annoyed with some of them, but thankfully the overall story pulls you through.

Rufus Sewell is PERFECT as the Obergruppenführer. Great casting choice right there.

Just discovered “Better Things”. Fantastic show. Louis CK wrote the first two seasons. Granted, the guy is a pervert, but he is a brilliant, funny pervert.

Netflix “Formula 1 Drive to Survive” I found totally addictive. They hardly mention the top two teams, Mercedes and Ferrari, but focus on the rest of the field, and still make it interesting. All the jockeying between drivers trying to get or keep a spot. The influence that money has over talent in some cases. Teams on the verge of going bust. Lots of human interest stories, without getting too sappy about it. Lots of pointed, direct comments when mistakes are made or expectations not met.

And lots of good driving, and plenty of crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Netflix “Formula 1 Drive to Survive” I found totally addictive. They hardly mention the top two teams, Mercedes and Ferrari, but focus on the rest of the field, and still make it interesting. All the jockeying between drivers trying to get or keep a spot. The influence that money has over talent in some cases. Teams on the verge of going bust. Lots of human interest stories, without getting too sappy about it. Lots of pointed, direct comments when mistakes are made or expectations not met.

And lots of good driving, and plenty of crashes.
    They've already started work on a new series for this season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Ricky Gervais' "After Life" on Netflix was pretty good. Just a six episode series, though. Pretty standard Ricky fair, but always good for a few chuckles.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    They've already started work on a new series for this season.
    Finished season 1. Great stuff. I’ve never been into F1, but now making plans to go to COTA this coming November. Jeez, the track is just across town; I should go. The tickets are a little steep, but not that bad if I go sit on the ground.

Last night, just perusing through the "Recently Added" sections of Amazon Prime, I stumbled upon this:

Not sure how I missed knowing about this as I have really dug most of NWR's cinematic output (Drive, particularly, but also Only God Forgives, Neon Demon, Bronson, as well as the Pusher series...need to re-visit Valhalla and Fear X, though!)

Gonna start the binge this week, for sure.
    Last edited by dookey67; 06-18-2019 at 04:00 PM.

Anyone else start Perpetual Grace Ltd on Epix? Three episodes in and it’s good. Maybe really good. Hopefully they keep it up.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums