Page 37 of 54 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
    I’m pretty excited for that. Long Way Round was really good. Long Way Down not quite as good but still a good watch.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    I’ve been binging on 3% on Netflix. Brazilian distopia where 3% of the ghetto dwelling 20yr olds get a chance to live on paradise island for life. Obviously, this creates dissent in the ghetto.

Good looking cast. Very well dubbed. Just wish there was more nudity.

If you like young adult angst in a desolate future, check it out. 4 seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    on season 2 right now and it's excellent. really well done. so far it's only getting better

the documentary series The Vow about the NXIVM cult (which apparently was a few miles from where I grew up!) is pretty fucking wild lol

Utopia on Amazon Prime.
    Comic book hiding secrets of sinister plot to release deadly viruses. Gratuitous murders. Comic book nerds trying to survive their fantasy come true.
    Every time you think there’s a moment to relax, you get kicked in the face with another killing or torture.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Attachment 340859

Mother approves.

So much potential but ...... ending sucked. Turns out, the whole planet is an ass they just keep pulling mutant rabbits out of. I may never watch another R. Scott production again.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    So much potential but ...... ending sucked. Turns out, the whole planet is an ass they just keep pulling mutant rabbits out of. I may never watch another R. Scott production again.
    Yea. It came in so strong. First 3 episodes then just got whacky

Ratcheted on Netflix. Almost ended up binge watching it in one sitting, but it was getting towards 3AM, so I forced myself to save some for later. Supposed to be a prequel of the Nurse Ratchet character of “One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest“. Not sure it fits entirely, but an interesting series.

Ted Lasso is kinda corny, but not over the top. And it is something the wife and I can agree on for bonus points.

Just finished S2 of The Deuce, and it is getting pretty good with expanded storylines.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Homecoming Season 2 (Prime)
    Vastly different than the first season, both in structure and ambiance.
    I honestly put off watching it as I felt they really didn't need to do a second season since the first was so strange and ended rather nicely.
    But S2 is solid, a bit more mainstream in terms of the storytelling, but engaging and just enough off-kilter to keep your interest.

The Fall (Prime)
    S1 (6 eps) is great, if you can get past Gillian Anderson's weak Loneon accent.
    S2 and the first 2/3 of S3 falter, but the final episode is powerful and the ending of the series is solid, leaving room for quite a bit of interpretation on the part of the viewer.
    The Fall is a great show that very few people I know have watched. Yes, the final episode is a WTF. and the main character is the guy in the 50 Shades movie.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Ted Lasso is kinda corny, but not over the top.
    Loved it

Nordic, scandinavian, and finnish noir shows are the shit. If you can do the subtitles, I highly recommend. My favorite such series are as follows.
    1. Bordertown - Netflix
    2. The Bridge / Broen - Prime, Hulu maybe?
    3. Valhalla Murders - Netflix
    4. Deadwind - Netflix
    5. Trapped - Prime
    6. Wallander - prime
    7. The Killing - Impossible to find the Danish version but it is worth it.
    8. Black Spot

There are more that I can't think of off the top of my head but I cannot recommend these series enough. Far superior to most any american and british shows in my opinion. They are sorta hard to follow at times, as they often contain multiple storylines with seemingly no connection. Those Euro babes are so subtly sexy, too.
    swing your fucking sword.

Probably not deserving of its own thread, but this looks oddly fascinating too me

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Nordic, scandinavian, and finnish noir shows are the shit. If you can do the subtitles, I highly recommend. My favorite such series are as follows.
    1. Bordertown - Netflix
    2. The Bridge / Broen - Prime, Hulu maybe?
    3. Valhalla Murders - Netflix
    4. Deadwind - Netflix
    5. Trapped - Prime
    6. Wallander - prime
    7. The Killing - Impossible to find the Danish version but it is worth it.
    8. Black Spot

There are more that I can't think of off the top of my head but I cannot recommend these series enough. Far superior to most any american and british shows in my opinion. They are sorta hard to follow at times, as they often contain multiple storylines with seemingly no connection. Those Euro babes are so subtly sexy, too.
    Thanks for the recs, although Black Spot is a French/Belgian production, not Scandinavian.
    I binged the first season and really enjoyed it, both in terms of looks (The French and Belgian director's and cinematographers just have a very distinct and cool eye) and story.

I dug the AMC version of The Killing. Your remark about the original being hard to find is part of a larger problem/beef I have with the American remakes of foreign series: it usually becomes impossible to find the original series outside of their home countries once they get remade, which is a shame.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Thanks for the recs, although Black Spot is a French/Belgian production, not Scandinavian.
    You almost got me, but look at the first word of my post. No, Black Spot is not Scandinavian Noir, but it is Nordic Noir.

It was through Bordertown that I learned Finland is, in fact, not Scandinavian. I had no idea.

I loved the AMC Killing as well and I agree, that is typically what happens with remakes. Another example is Wallander. the British version is at your fingertips but you've got to dig to find original.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    You almost got me, but look at the first word of my post. No, Black Spot is not Scandinavian Noir, but it is Nordic Noir.

It was through Bordertown that I learned Finland is, in fact, not Scandinavian. I had no idea.

I loved the AMC Killing as well and I agree, that is typically what happens with remakes. Another example is Wallander. the British version is at your fingertips but you've got to dig to find original.
    ^^ adding Bordertown to our queue, it looks great.

different genre - but on the subject of watching things with subtitles, Dark on Netflix is superb. 3 seasons, absolutely amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    ^^ adding Bordertown to our queue, it looks great.

different genre - but on the subject of watching things with subtitles, Dark on Netflix is superb. 3 seasons, absolutely amazing.
    I cannot say enough about Kari, the protagonist. Truly one of the best acting performance I have seen since Gandolfini.

Seasons 1 and 2 of Dark were unreal. So existential and perplexingly cosmic. There was some actual science going on in that stuff which amazed me. I need to finish season 3.

Code 404 (Peacock): light hearted black comedy with wicked British word play
    Warning 1: the first episode is hard to get through but it really picks up thereafter.
    Warning 2: if you're watching it on Peacock be forewarned - the commercials are hot and heavy, and incredibly badly inserted/forced into the show.

edit: on second thought, since the last episodes truly failed to deliver, best to not even bother with this.
    Last edited by PB; 10-12-2020 at 09:43 AM.

new series

Here is my TOP-3:

1. Deadwind by Netflix
    2. Black Spot
    3. Sherlock Holmes

The last one in my favourite!!

Anyone watching The Vow? About the NXIVM cult. Highly recommended.

https://youtu.be/eXKJyh_rl0I

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Just watched E1 of The Queen's Gambit last night, very nice production and will continue watching.

Wink

American Horror story is my favorite. It is atmospheric and very unusual. Acting is perfect, music is gorgeous. All seasons are interesting, but the best for me is third.

Just finished the Queen's Gambit. Great production, very well done. Highly recommend.

I'm watching Wentworth. There are 8 seasons, so definitely not new (unless new to Netflix), but it is keeping my interest.
    Hard core chicks in prison = never fail
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

All caught up with Yellowstone good show. Not sure how accurate any of it is but its entertaining.

Agree; first season was a little rocky, but 2 and 3 really rolled.