Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    No we build docks and harbors and do dredging using large crane barges, drive piles etc. Do a lot of design /build work.
    Yes , we use CAD and have our own software and expect and teach our project engineers to use basic CAD.

Wasn't trying to scare the OP off... trying to give him some advice how to get a job and differentiate himself from the herd. Its brutal out there and I know what contractors want to see in a CM/CE applicant.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

I would listen to Scotsman. Anyway Cordova AK is going off. Could be coming to an end. There was around $60,000,000 of work going on last year. I just started on the first phase of a community center that is around $9,000,000. I think the hatcheries are going to begin some large construction projects. Working on my cad tonight.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman50 View Post
    No we build docks and harbors and do dredging using large crane barges, drive piles etc. Do a lot of design /build work.
    Yes , we use CAD and have our own software and expect and teach our project engineers to use basic CAD.

Wasn't trying to scare the OP off... trying to give him some advice how to get a job and differentiate himself from the herd. Its brutal out there and I know what contractors want to see in a CM/CE applicant.
    i have got CM degree but heaps on hands on exp, not much into the office but enough to get by.

sounds like a nice set up you have, any photos of your gear

i am in commerical const in Australia doing carpentry / fitout / milwork we have been flat out for last 15yrs, i can see the writtings on the wall for our commerical market in next 12 months all our govt spending is used up and interest rates are rising current reserve bank rate is 5.5% and going up again next month.

we have scaled our company down from 50 employees to 10 in last 3 months but i am still worried about the next few months, i am thinking about heading over to middle east but to make in worth while i be wanting $1000 a day as a starting point,

everyone that i know who can figure stuff out and does not mind getting out on site is making big $$ and have no trouble getting work

[quote=Harry Tuttle;3008152]Scotsman, what you say has the brutal ring of truth in it. [/end quote]

YES! the scotsman speaks the truth...esp about ÇM not knowing shit out of school, coming from someone with a civil degree but 15 years deep in high end residential. F'n project managers from the city/uni come up to the mountain town to straighten us out frequently the last 5 years. Now they are almost all jobless.....but a good super who can build something is still working.

things are getting a little better in the high end residential market....lots of remodeling. mid level residential will be dead for another 5-10. supply and demand. commercial is f'd!

harry tuttle.....CLASSIC! love the brazil reference..

That is what you build? Mobile equipment? Ahh, I see you mention pilings too. Do you have 3-D CAD operators in-house? I imagine they are a dime a dozen in Seattle.

I reckon he uses the aforementioned equip to build piers/ports/bridges/etc.

and cheers to the 'farm boy' methodology!
    one step forward, no step backward

I would travel for a few years, construction is DEAD. I just tried helping a mag get a job and the industry in SF is super slow. Lots of people said,"Hiring? Ha, Im hoping I dont get laid off." The tower cranes are all gone

I guess it really comes down to how cheap will you go? $30-40K no problem, $100+ good luck
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman50 View Post
    drive construction excavators
    And dont say you drive construction equipment, because you don't drive excavators, you operate or run them.

Whatever you do dont work for a pile driver

bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang

Yo Scotsman- what company? I used to work for Mid Mountain in Seattle.
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    And dont say you drive construction equipment, because you don't drive excavators, you operate or run them.

Whatever you do dont work for a pile driver

bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang

Yo Scotsman- what company? I used to work for Mid Mountain in Seattle.
    The company is called Pacific Pile & Marine.
    We know Mid-mountain and have worked with them .
    You are right about pile drivers...
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I have been working as a project engineer for a GC in the Tahoe area. Enjoying work, getting paid. The position is for the duration of the project, I have been working hard to make an impact and stay on.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

To add to Scotsman's advise:

Working in the industry in the mountains is tough on a number of levels. Sure you live and work there, but are you prepared to stare those beautiful mountains in the face on a powder day while you're working from 6a to 7p on salary, on a saturday? Those are the hours, trust me. Your superintendants, your operators, your laborers don't give a crap that it's nuking sideways, they don't ski, they're on a schedule and you being at work is an integral part of them getting things in the ground on time. So, unless you're willing to throw your degree away and settle for the title of laborer, you're not likely to have a lot of spare time to enjoy your surroundings. If you do, that's awesome but you probably won't see the job through from beginning to end.

That being said: I know there is some work going on in Gunni right now and coming in the future. Good Luck in your search. Finally, where ever you end up, work your ass off and don't complain about the hours and what may appear to you to be an unfair situation, we were all Project Engineers at one time. I am sick of all these "entitled" kids fresh out of college crapping all over what I think is a pretty great career.

WWCD is online now Non Threating Male Friend
    The Raleigh-Durham area is doing a fair amount of building right now, and a lot of it is not based on government contracts, which is what is pretty much keeping the industry afloat.

Anywhere with a military base will also have some work.

It is very tough right now. I relocated from Chicago to Savannah for a job, came back after 14 months when it was done and got laid off 2 months later.

Good luck.

Quckly reading this thread lead me to focusing on scots original post and the wisdom there. Listen to what he is saying, this kind of information is usually gained at high cost to the beneficiary. In the hands-on fields an engineering degree/background only gets you a nod. (Take my opinion for what it's worth, I'm 10 years in the oilfield still doing field consulting work even though I have a degree. But I'm not going to take a pay cut to sit in an office and not speak my mind- until I top out or get burned out.)

Additionally, I reckon Montana is full of farmboys.