Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Official 2010 World Cup Thread: Most likely containing Spoilers

According to the last page of this thread, http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ght=world+2010

Its high time for a new 2010 World Cup thread, being that it starts 2 days from now. It was determined that it should stay in this forum, not padded room. But if it must, it can be moved there.

So Folks,
    let the trash talking and jaw dropping begin.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

move this over to padded room you start
    "Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is" -Charles DeMar
    Never argue with an idiot..They always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by yonskion View Post
    move this over to padded room you start
    Fuck that.

Rooting for Engerlund to collapse and not make it to the 2nd round. Also rooting for South Africa to beat Mexico in the opening match.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Rooting for Engerlund to collapse and not make it to the 2nd round. Also rooting for South Africa to beat Mexico in the opening match.
    My Dark Horse

I think we have a chance against England could be the start of the collapse
    Never argue with an idiot..They always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Cant wait for Saturday. My old High School soccer coach's son just made the US team(Edson Buddle). He was the leading scorer in MLS this year. Looks like he might even get the start. Go USA!!!!

Watched the second half of Spain v Poland yesterday. Spain looked ridiculous as always. There going to be tough to beat.

I am stoked for WC.

Taking several days off from work to drive down and visit my Dad for his 80th birthday and watch all games with him. We have lots of TV to watch!
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

Ing-ger-lund!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Rooting for Engerlund to collapse and not make it to the 2nd round..
    Thanks pal

My Dark Horse
    Techinically I'm not sure you can really call Argentina a dark horse? Remove Diego and they'd likely be among the favorites? But going to be interesting to see how long it takes for the implosion to happen in their camp. World Cup lore and legend about to be written there.

I think you do to. Deeply worried about what the US team will do to us. I think we have a truely mediocre squad and are relying on coaching genius* and the short temper of a semi fit Wayne Rooney.

*But I'm not sure Capello is that much of a genius.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

any team with messi, higuian, tevez, diego milito, di maria is not a dark horse.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Techinically I'm not sure you can really call Argentina a dark horse?
    #7 and I can think of at least 5 teams that will be super tuff on their campaing....that's pretty dark horse of the capable winners

any team with messi, higuian, tevez, diego milito, di maria is not a dark horse..... and it will still take the Hand of God to deliver them to the promised land.
    "grey horse" all out underdog's! this will be a beautiful war

I think the England squad may be troubled but hope they have too much for the US. Buddle looks to be in a decent vein of form though. England have no fit holding midfielder and may well be forced to try to make the Gerrard - Lampard combo work. They've been trying to get those two to replicate their club form for, what, eight years now and it hasn't happened.

Spain look to be markedly the best team in the tournament but I'm going to throw my hat in with Holland as a possible surprise.
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I think the England squad may be troubled but hope they have too much for the US. Buddle looks to be in a decent vein of form though. England have no fit holding midfielder and may well be forced to try to make the Gerrard - Lampard combo work. They've been trying to get those two to replicate their club form for, what, eight years now and it hasn't happened.

Spain look to be markedly the best team in the tournament but I'm going to throw my hat in with Holland as a possible surprise.
    Carrick is fit, even though I wouldn't have picked him in my squad. I am really pulling for Jimmy Millner being a Villa player. He will be well known after this tournament if he gets his chance.

to try to make the Gerrard - Lampard combo work. They've been trying to get those two to replicate their club form for, what, eight years now and it hasn't happened.
    Gerrard in the hole behind Rooney. Heskey & Crouch on bench.

Hopefully?

Eventually?

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander420 View Post
    Carrick is fit, even though I wouldn't have picked him in my squad. I am really pulling for Jimmy Millner being a Villa player. He will be well known after this tournament if he gets his chance.
    Carrick and Milner have looked strangely flat in the warm up games. Milner in particular was very strong in qualifying. I think Carrick's confidence is shot. A fit Owen Hargreaves would have come in very welcome this time round.

Gerrard in the hole behind Rooney. Heskey & Crouch on bench.

Hopefully?

Eventually?
    I wonder if Joe Cole has played his way into contention on the left.

I'd play a 4-4-1-1 against the US with Green in goal, a back four of Ashley Cole, John Terry, Ledley King and Glen Johnson, midfield of Lampard, Joe Cole, Aaron Lennon and James Milner with Gerrard in the hole behind Rooney.

Hopefully Capello is bluffing with the fitness of Gareth Barry.

if spain keep up their form from the warm-ups we might as well all go home

england to get to the semis at best. they should get crouchi-gol on the pitch a decent amount (even if he doesn't start) because defences just don't know what to do with him
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

I reckon England will get bounced in the QFs as usual.

for all the shit Crouch gets He still has a role to play. Toss him in the mix late in the game to disrupt a tired defense and create serious issues with his head. Remember his late game header for Tottenham a couple weeks ago?

IHopefully Capello is bluffing.
    I'm increasingly finding myself hoping that h's bluffing about ever more things....

I might go skiing on Saturday not sure I can watch

Quote Originally Posted by Arno View Post
    england to get to the semis at best.
    Please!!!!!! That'll do. Just no penalties and not losing to Germany or Argentina

they should get crouchi-gol on the pitch a decent amount (even if he doesn't start) because defences just don't know what to do with him
    Ahhhh... The old clown on a unicycle, juggling flaming Chihuahuas tactic?

But agreed he does make an "impact" sub. I really hate that phrase.

My Dark Horse

you are a moron
    dark horses are USA or Nigeria
    Argentina is damn near a favorite after Spain and Brazil
    plus the last time a European team won in the southern hemisphere was....

this should be in the padded room

and Roo is right about England, they are hurt in the wrong places....
    Saturday should be a cracker

Where in the interwbs do you find decent prediction(?) leagues?
    Would it be time to set up a classic TGR group like the last time?

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Please!!!!!! That'll do. Just no penalties and not losing to Germany or Argentina
    i know it sounds optimistic, but how many other great teams are there in the tournament? brazil, argentina (if Diego can hold it together), spain and maybe netherlands stand out but the rest are all much of a muchness IMO
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

So, so sad trying to generate conversation about the WM in my high school classes today. Maybe the kids have checked out mentally because it's the last few days of school, but nobody even seemed to know that the party is about to begin. I blame bad parenting, as always

On a semi-related note, one of my students was evidently caught the other day at school trying to grind up and snort some nutmeg. He got two days of out-of-school suspension... for attempting to snort a spice. WTF? How does one deal with that during a college admission interview??

Oh, my pick is Netherlands. Not a favorite, but wouldn't be a shocker either...
    “Money has never been my god — never.” - The Chief

Quote Originally Posted by acostiga View Post
    Oh, my pick is Netherlands. Not a favorite, but wouldn't be a shocker either...
    d00d they're 4th favorites... that's almost like calling Argentina dark horses.

Nutmeg?

Only in Amurika.

Quote Originally Posted by Arno View Post
    i know it sounds optimistic, but how many other great teams are there in the tournament?
    Agreed. England's current state of mediocrity coincides with very shallow tournament. But that still likely leaves us in same old position of consistent under achievers?

that's almost like calling Argentina dark horses.

Nutmeg?

Only in Amurika.
    I amended my statement to "grey horse" and it will take a miracle, so I am standing by "Dark Grey Horse".... "Favorite" is a strong statement when talking about Argentina