TR - Mt. Lassen/Mt. Shasta Combo Meal – 05.27 – 05.30.10

I decided to do a repeat of last Memorial Day weekend, and take advantage of this year’s copious snowfall. Hoarhey ventured out from Chicago to meet up in Sacto on Thursday, for the trip to Lassen National Park. With a five hour nap at a Motel 6 in Redding, we headed into the Park Friday morning.

Reports stated that the mountain had received between 12” & 18” over the past couple of days, and the forecast called for snow showers for the afternoon. We finally arrived at the Devastated Area parking lot in our Lincoln Exterminator at around 11:30, finding it nearly empty.

Hitting the trail at the crack of 12:30, we were concerned that if the sun did manage to come out, all the new stuff would turn into a manky mess.

On the way up we ran into wet snow, a couple good graupel peltings,

and an occasional view of the peak.

We decided to head up the Northeast ridge, figuring we’d be able to skin up further than if we headed straight up the main bowl.

The clouds came in again giving us that nice ping pong ball effect to enjoy.

Our late start time, concerns over visibility, and a general lack of sleep conspired to our topping out at 9,300ft. After waiting around for half an hour for a suitably sized sucker hole to open up,

we made our way down the way we came up. The snow was surprisingly good for the first 1,800 feet.

A snow snake did claim a victim…..

The stuff down low switched over to mashed potatoes, but was still manageable. We made it back to the car around 5:00 and were treated to some nice views of the peak.

After downing a couple customary “we survived” beers, we headed out on Highway 89 to Shasta City for the night. On the way, we were treated to some great views of Mt. Shasta with sun setting behind it.

After a good rest at Weed’s Motel 6, we made our way to Bunny Flat, stopping at my favorite awning for the pack up.

No sprinklers this year!

This parking lot was a bit more crowded –

Soon we were on our way to Horse Camp –

And a few hours of sleep….

before an o’dark thirty rise and shine –

Conditions couldn’t have been better – no wind, clear skies, ¾ moon, temps in the 20’s, and firm grippy snow. We skinned up to Helen Lake just using moonlight. We knew it was going to be a crowded climb as dozens of other folks on skis and on foot began to merge with the folks camping at Helen Lake.

We were treated to a great view of Shasta’s shadow over the Trinity Alps as we made our way up the never ending bootpack up to the Red Banks. The snow made for easy steps, and we never had to strap into crampons.

Hoarhey enjoyed the solitude that can only be found high in the mountains –

We dropped skis at 13,700 and headed out toward yonder summit.

Almost there…

There…and at high noon

Stratovolcanoes have cool views...

They also create lenticular clouds with amazing speed...

Time to skedaddle…

Skedaddling is better done on skis

Down the way we came -

That’ll do

That it did

…and for the other guy

Fleeing the mid-day solarium

For a power nap

…and the ski out

To where the Exterminator and beer await.

The snow up high was pretty good, but once we dropped below the Red Banks, the temp must have climbed 20+ degrees, which turned the new stuff from the previous week into some serious mashed potatoes. With no corn cycle established, we were somewhere between winter and spring. We had one wet slide come down pretty close to us from Casaval ridge, which kept us fairly low on the ski out. As long as dirt from the ridges doesn’t turn things into suncup hell, Avy Gulch should be good for a while – much more snow than 2009, 2007, and even a bit better than this time in 2005 if I remember correctly. We only saw one party (climbers) come up the north side – plows still hadn’t made much progress towards Northgate and Brewer Creek trailheads.

Thanks to Hoarhey for making his second trip out to CA from Chicago in a month – always a solid partner (who loves to establish bootpacks BTW).

…on a final note, we highly recommend the side route through Cecilville if you’re looking to spice up the return trip to Sacto – especially if you have a flight running through SFO and don’t mind driving an extra 170 miles when you miss your connecting flight in Sacto and the flights out of Redding are full.
    Last edited by LBSki; 06-30-2010 at 01:49 AM.

Oh, geez. I may need to change my plans. Snow to the road. Wonder if that is still the case after the heat the past weekend.

^^^Looks like the snow at Bunny Flat is going to be there awhile.

I can't say I am disappointed I missed this trip. 4,000 feet of mank does not sound all that fun, but it still looks like a good time. It just isn't the same with out the mid trip gear wash at Shasta City HS.

Did you find the short cut to Lassen this time? With a noon start on Lassen, it looks like you took the same route as last year. I assume that was the same chute through the red bank as last year, but it looks a little fuller.

Glad you guys had a good time, and I am disappointed I missed it, it looks like fun, but my knee was definitely not ready for prime time.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Oh, geez. I may need to change my plans. Snow to the road. Wonder if that is still the case after the heat the past weekend.
    in which case i would definitely need to get friday night off...

2006 was a bigger year overall, but there definitely wasn't that much snow at BF when I skied there in mid-June of that year. We've got six more days of melting for a true comparison, but I'm still guessing this year beats it. Granted, it rained three inches up there a few days ago... so who knows.

That shadow shot of the Trinity Alps is super cool.

Great TR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

There was 10 feet of snow at Bunny Flat 2 weeks ago - but as noted, it rained last weeks. Can't believe you guys continued up Lassen in those conditions - dedication I guess.

Nice TR.

nice TR man.
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

Ooooooh, sick Kingswoods!

Nice report, looks like a great time.

Nice Chad!!! Looks like you and Whorehey had a great weekend.

Some of us were lazy and kept to lift-served runs at Squaw!

Jess

i like what you guys are doing
    @EdgeLinkJohn

i apparently live in the wrong part of the country. i would have much rather spent memorial weekend doing this instead of eating ribs and burgers. although the ribs were pretty freaking good.

^^^Nothing a plane ride can't solve. Whorehey lives in some god awful place like Chicago and still manages to climb volcanoes on MM day. Although, good ribs are worth being lazy for; burgers, not so much

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    ^^^Nothing a plane ride can't solve. Whorehey lives in some god awful place like Chicago and still manages to climb volcanoes on MM day. Although, good ribs are worth being lazy for; burgers, not so much
    valid point. ribs that did 10 hrs in a smoker might be worth a plane ride from chicago to.

Nice to see you and Whore-Hey getting some late season turns, not [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194664"]once[/ame] but [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194665"]twice[/ame], this May. Beats the hell outta golf.

Is Belmont Brewing Company still going strong in Long Beach???

Belmont Brewing is still open - haven't been there in a couple of years, so I don't know how strong they are - but the lights are on and customers are inside whenever I jog by the place.

Jess and John - nice to hear from you guys

Jess - I can't believe we haven't skied together in the state in which both of us happen to reside.

John - how did the asparagus turn out?

Hutash - I think I'm in for the 4th at Mammoth as long as my foot heals - had a laundry accident.

Quote Originally Posted by LBSki View Post

Hutash - I think I'm in for the 4th at Mammoth as long as my foot heals - had a laundry accident.
    Laundry accident? This one has got to be good. I am sure it will be worth the drive to MM just to hear it.

iscariot

nice work- your packs look heavvvyyy.

sweet TR, thanks for doing the write up. I think you have the exact same setup as I do Titans, dynafits, and wailer 105's. If so, I hope you like them as much as I do.