Thread: On el nino

Cool On el nino

Anyone have any info on the el nino forecast for this season? Have heard that a mild one is in the formulative stages, so I went back to the Powder issue of Sept. 98 that detailed the el nino winter of 97/98. Canada had a pretty bad season except for Whistler and Colorado was affected, where as the Sierras in February were all time and of course lcc came through with the usual goods. Kind of hard to really predict, but kind of curious if the phenomena repeats it's pattern in how it affects us.

Talking not sure, but i do know...

el nino is spanish for THE NINO!!!!!!

The weather weenie part of me has been following these developments pretty closely for the last few months and this discussion sums it up pretty well. Courtesies to Herb Stevens:
    http://www.skiingweatherman.com/weather.php

Your observations on the effects for the west are pretty good and that seems to be the way it'll play out again this year except that the northeast stands a real shot at a bang up winter. It's looking more like '76-77 (IMHO) than anything else right now, and that winter ROCKED.

PNW EPIC WINTER

A PNW weatherman today stated that lower than normal temps and higher than normal snow fall are expected this winter. If all else fails, just head for a snow capped volcano. SWEET!!

The Sierras & Cascades rock out; life sucks for everyone else

Here's to an epic one in the Northeast. My Spatulas are eager to get a taste of a big east coast powder day. All I can do is hope.

Looking good for Mammoth this year .

Herb's take on the impact of El Nino on the west:

The central and northern Rockies, as well as the northern Sierra and Cascades, will end up with snowfall below their seasonal norms
    to el nino.