Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Android App recomendation?

Just picked up a new phone.

For alarm clock, I much prefer the free app - Alarm Clock Plus then the one that is included with the system.

Advanced Task Killer Free is an absolute must for killing apps and saving battery life.

Craigsnotifications is the best Craigslist app if you're into that

The Pandora apps is cool and like a lot of other apps on Android, you can place the "widget" on the page as opposed to the app icon, which nice for the ones you use all the time.

And then of course, there are all the apps that every OS has. The google apps are all good....mail, maps, navigation, shopper, goggles, places, etc...

Of yea, I really dig PDANet for blue tooth tethering from your computer to phone for internet.

Quote Originally Posted by TyWebb View Post
    Advanced Task Killer Free is an absolute must for killing apps and saving battery life.
    I've read a lot of debate on this point and from what I can tell you don't need a task killer for Android. Basically, processes don't necessarily "run" in the background if you don't kill them, they're just kept in memory for when they're next needed.

http://www.androidspin.com/2010/05/2...-with-android/

Where's My Droid let's you send an email to your phone to disable it from anyone who finds it and will send you it's GPS coordinates and make it ring so you can find it. Haven't used this yet, fortunately.

AudioManager, BatteryTime Lite.

GMote - turns your phone into a remote for your computer, if say you've connected your TV to the computer and are lazy.

Slacker radio, though I haven't decided if I like it better than Pandora.

Quote Originally Posted by TyWebb View Post
    For alarm clock, I much prefer the free app - Alarm Clock Plus then the one that is included with the system.

Craigsnotifications is the best Craigslist app if you're into that

The Pandora apps is cool and like a lot of other apps on Android, you can place the "widget" on the page as opposed to the app icon, which nice for the ones you use all the time.

And then of course, there are all the apps that every OS has. The google apps are all good....mail, maps, navigation, shopper, goggles, places, etc...

Of yea, I really dig PDANet for blue tooth tethering from your computer to phone for internet.
    I will have to check out the alarm clock one for sure. My phone is my main alarm these days. The phone is a nexus one so it should be coming with froyo which has built in tethering/hotspot.
    This is my first smartphone so i have no idea the widget vs app icon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach Looney View Post
    I've read a lot of debate on this point and from what I can tell you don't need a task killer for Android. Basically, processes don't necessarily "run" in the background if you don't kill them, they're just kept in memory for when they're next needed.

http://www.androidspin.com/2010/05/2...-with-android/

Where's My Droid let's you send an email to your phone to disable it from anyone who finds it and will send you it's GPS coordinates and make it ring so you can find it. Haven't used this yet, fortunately.

AudioManager, BatteryTime Lite.

GMote - turns your phone into a remote for your computer, if say you've connected your TV to the computer and are lazy.

Slacker radio, though I haven't decided if I like it better than Pandora.

Thanks for suggestions so far.

Like i said this is my first smartphone so it all seems a bit overwhelming right now.

In order of love:

- Cardio Trainer - best running/biking gps app I know of (you can race against ghost tracks)
    - Locale - auto manage settings based on time, location, etc
    - WaveSecure - remote wipe/security in case you lose your phone
    - TripIt - awesome for travel plans/itineraries
    - Kayak
    - Barcode Scanner
    - Ultimate Stopwatch
    - GolfCard - rangefinder/scorekeeper integrated with oobgolf
    - roboform - password manager
    - Places Directory
    - SMS Popup
    - Flixster Movies (see reviews/showtimes, but most importantly manage your netflix queur)
    - Oh, and of course Dropbox (see your desktop files anywhere), use this link to sign up for an extra 10%/250MB of space http://bit.ly/9BSbv3)

I am on the Google ION from last year's dev conference...I am now on 2.1 (Eclair), and am pushing my phone to its limits. I really need ATT to bring on the Desire, rumors are there may be an announcement...otherwise, I may just drop the $$$$$$ on the Nexus One. Loving Android.

Here is Gizmodo's suggestion list...pretty good: http://gizmodo.com/tag/androidappsdirectory/
    "I do look like the Arrow shirt man, I did lace up my skates professionally, and I did do a fabulous job finishing my muffin."

U pick up one of the new Evo's? Those look pretty sweet.

I would recommend ADW Launcher as a home replacement for Sense if you're on an Incredible or Evo 4g. Works pretty well.

Sporty Pal is awesome for biking/running/etc.

Handcent for txting

Astrid as a to do list manager

Definitely get Beautiful Widgets

Pure Calendar Widget works super well for me

xScope Lite webbrowser is amazing. Get it

i picked up a nexus one since i am on tmobile. my wife conveniently had her phone die from massive rainstorms this week. it was its deathstroke after she initially dropped it in the toilet earlier this year.

Oh ya, for any scrabble players out there, check out Wordwise Pro.

xScope(think google chrome for android)
    shazam(identify music using microphone)
    Tubedroid(download/watch any youtube video)
    Documents to go(gold standard of mobile documents)
    Scanner(scan barcodes to open internet search)
    weatherbug elite(best weather program so far)
    list master
    XiaaLive(listen to streaming radio)
    Calorie Counter(track food and exercise)

Mobile Defense(lock your phone remotely, set lock pattern remotely, send message remotely, track your lost phone... etc etc)
    IMO. mobile defense takes the cake in terms of usability and stability, its currently free. Wave secure and some of the other programs have been demonstrated to not be so effective/secure. Once mobile defense is installed it automatically hides itself, unless activated by your remote login.

Almost forgot, astro file manager... Do it.

my most used:

Google Shopping for price comparisons etc
    Dropbox is a must have to sync files / pictures etc.
    mapdroid does OK offline maps (the google maps needs service, mapdroid just GPS)
    Mytracks shows GPS routes, max / avg speeds, elevation change etc
    Ringdroid for making ringtones
    Google Voice for Visual voicemail

I have a ton of other apps, but rarely use them / have multiple of the same type trying to decide what I like best (eg. locale and place directory etc)

Swype is great if you can get an invite

Quote Originally Posted by rt17 View Post
    Swype is great if you can get an invite
    depending on your phone model, you can also download installation files for it on the xda forums.
    "I do look like the Arrow shirt man, I did lace up my skates professionally, and I did do a fabulous job finishing my muffin."

If you're surfing the web alot, get Opera Mini.

If anyone is on demonoid I suggest looking for a pack called Epic android.... A little bird told me its full of good stuff.

No app reccos but a forum recco:

http://androidforums.com/android-phones/

You'll find good advice here...

Quote Originally Posted by TyeStick View Post
    If anyone is on demonoid I suggest looking for a pack called Epic android.... A little bird told me its full of good stuff.
    I dl'd this and am overwhelmed with the number of apps in it.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    I dl'd this and am overwhelmed with the number of apps in it.
    Is it non market stuff?

I'm not sure if this is like fightclub or anything...
    ... but I always break the rules

Seems like its the paid versions of some apps, regular versions of others and some apps that probably aren't found in the market.

There's an absurd number of apps in this thing. I opened the list and haven't taken the time to actually read up on what some of these thing are. I haven't installed anything on my phone yet

Handcent - texting
    Xscope - a browser that is constantly updated and always getting better
    Ruler - yup it's a ruler
    Flixster - for movie times
    Beautiful widgets - for a good looking widget that has a clock and weather as well as Vibrate, Silent, Plane mode, wifi, and GPS icons.
    Shazam - for finding the names of songs
    Astro - file manager
    Google Earth
    Sportstap - scores
    Pandora
    Battery Widget

Something else to think about is sometimes apps get worse when you update them. I don't update a lot of my apps because I like the way they work and don't want them to be slower, buggier, filled with more ads or just stop working all together.
    Last edited by funkendrenchman; 06-05-2010 at 04:05 PM.

Does anyone use a visual VM service that they back? I have heard of youmail and the google service but have no visual VM experience only with the shitty dial in sevice that comes witht the phone. Are any worthy?

I use google voice.
    here's how I break it down
    10%- Correct translation
    40% you get the gist of what they meant
    40% F'ing hilarious
    You do, however, have the ability to listen to each message

The convenience factor is nice, that you don't have to call in. You can ignore messages, delete them whatever.

I do, however, get some messages much later than they are left.
    Being able to customize message for individuals and other features is pretty cool.

I use the phone as a business phone. For my job VM is critical... I guess the only feature i really care for is the ablity to choose the VM i want to hear, listen, pasue, rewind etc. Can you do these features with googles voice seamesly?

Quote Originally Posted by BIGempty View Post
    I use the phone as a business phone. For my job VM is critical... I guess the only feature i really care for is the ablity to choose the VM i want to hear, listen, pasue, rewind etc. Can you do these features with googles voice seamesly?
    Yup on all accounts. I'm fairly impressed with everything Google has put out lately

Do I need an invite to join google voice?

So yesterday I used Google Maps to get from my place to Sheridan, MT. Bad idea. I followed the directions and ended up at the security gate a INEEL, explaining to a SWAT looking dude who literally had his hand on his sidearm that my phone led me there. Note to self: Paper maps are still good.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."