Thread: Orvis Helios

Orvis Helios

"Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

SoCal Mako guide Conway Bowman's wife. Glad to see she's embracing that role after almost flipping out at Mariott's demo day seeing a big orvis poster with her on it.

she sure can get it out. Can someone explain to me her casting style tho? Her rod tip is parallel to the ground on the back cast, so the rod cant load from the backcast?

Heavy shooting head = water load to get it up and out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Heavy shooting head = water load to get it up and out of the water.

Ok, this doesnt answer my confusion tho. If the rod tip is | (12 oclock) the rod can flex (say to 1 or 2 o clock). Or if the rod tip is / (1 oclock) it can flex back to say 2 or 3 o clock. But if the top tip is ----t (3 o clock) how does the tip get any flex? And the flex stores the energy for the cast.

I spey fish so I understand waterloading, so I still dont understand, unless the line is behind and under the rod, so it loads the rod from 3 oclock to say 4 or 5 oclock. ----- is rod and t is the tip of rod

The line would have to be like this ---------------t

0(0 being water loading point, so it can pull tip down. ---------- is rod. Dont see how this would work if line was like

0 ----------------t (roll cast or spey cast, with rod tip at 3 I dont see how tip will be loaded

------------t 0 (assuming line is behind caster and 0 is point where water loads the rod.

whoaoaoao your making this way too complicated, she does a water loading cast first (think roll cast or creating an anchor point in spey terms) just to bring the line up on top and flop it back down. Then she takes it and can cast it normally as the head is no longer sunk way down in the water with a ton of resistance on it.

Flex travels Up towards the more narrow coiling of the material(rod tip). IME the key often is in getting the lower arm/wrist/rod-butt to initiate the forward loop smoothly...(for whatever little bit I've found to happen). Why didn't I ever meet up with female flyflingers in garb like that....
    ...As hinted to, I think the clock-thing just happens when things are going right...
    $.01
    Last edited by steved; 06-05-2010 at 09:04 PM.