Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Most comfortable mattress (for a truck)? (Futon or similar)

I know, I should have just resurrected the old thread I created way back when asking for sub floor sleeping arrangement ideas for my truck but I figured this could use its own thread.

I've been using 4" of memory foam bed topper ("mattress pad") from the Wal that I picked up for about 100 bucks. I thought it was the shit at the time but now I think its just plain shit (ha). Basically, it feels comfortable when laying on it but it's either too firm or the wrong kind of foam because I wake up feeling like I need to go visit a chiropractor right away...anybody else who has slept on it echos similar thoughts. Here is what I have now. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensat...Topper/4569413

I've been looking at futon mattresses but can't decide what to go with. I don't mind spending a bit on this (200-250) being I sleep on it a fair amount and could always transition this into a piece of living room furniture if need be (a futon!).

So, I'd like to find the slimmest most comfortable futon mattress I can buy. I realize how much subjectivity is built into this question...

EDIT: AIR IS NOT AN OPTION.

tempur pedic camping mattress: Mattress overlay
    pricey but i bet it would work.

another option is to put some regular egg crate foam under your existing memory foam, maybe it will keep you from bottoming out...
    Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on epicski or Paula's Ski Lovers, AltaNancy.

What size are you looking for?
    The Sheriff is near!

Two Paco pads. Durable, comfortable, usable for anywhere, roll up small relative to their comfort. Waterproof, too. Lots of lengths, widths, and thicknesses. This one--http://www.coloradokayak.com/Jacks-Plastic-Grande-Paco-Pad is probably thee thickest and softest. I've been sleeping on the far more modest 1.5" thick pad for many years, and wouldn't like to sleep on anything else.

Looking for a "full" size. I will most likely need to trim 1 1/2 inches off the length to fit perfect depending on the mattress.

EDIT: I've already put one egg carton on the top of the 4" memory foam thing and it didn't really seem to help. Like I said, I'm not sure exactly what the problem is but it just doesn't cut it.

Thinking of throwing my thermarest on there too and seeing how that works...

I have a buddy who had an Isuzu Trooper or similar rig and he wanted to be able to fold down the back seat and sleep in it on the road. He got an air mattress with a cig plug adapter for the air pump and say it's the shit.

The whole air mattress thing I've tried and hated. Just not my deal...too many sharp objects sit on this thing day to day and I hate temp effecting how firm the mattress is.

I'm going foam of some sort. Makes the most sense.

For truck camping I've been happy with a latex topper.

http://www.foamsource.com/shop/famil..._latex_toppers

I hate air pads!

I use a serta mattress topper in my volvo, which is about 3'' of regular low density foam and 1'' of high density (memory) foam... seems to provide the right amount of cushion/support, rather than straight memory foam.

If you're in Littleton, I'm not too far from you...I have a futon that I'll probably be tossing soon since I'm moving. It's a little lumpy, but probably just needs to be laid flat for a bit. It might be the shit w/a new cover and your existing pads. You're welcome to try it to see if you even like the whole concept.

Let me know...I can meet you somewhere w/it.

Edit to say that I *think* it's a full.

Futons get better (more comfortable & more long-lasting) with a thicker foam core inside; the cheapest ones have very little or no foam, just batting.

In a truck bed shell camper setup, I would be concerned about the futon getting wet (snow runoff from skis thrown in on top, blowing snow, wet gear, etc.) -- it'll take awhile to dry, and in the winter, that could be a long while.

I've never tried those Paco pads that people keep recommending, but if they're coated/sealed like a gym exercise pad, that might be a good way to go.

Memory foam gets very stiff in cold weather. I think it needs body heat to soften and mold, and in winter, that isn't going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Do you have an Ikea? Check out their futon mattresses
    Click. Point. Chute.

Memory foam is awesome in the summer but tends to stiffen up and become useless in the cold.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Just remember that futons are cotton and are really suspectible for rotting. You will need a spacing below it (10-15cm) and generally take care of them.
    Unless you want your own personal mushroom field in your bed,that is...

Also,futons in general (7-9 ply) are quite hard,or some might say,very hard and weird to sleep on. So they may not suit you in the first place.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by dynodonkeyaltabird View Post
    tempur pedic camping mattress: Mattress overlay
    pricey but i bet it would work.
    holy crap is that expensive!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Why not just get a sleeping pad that you can use for tent camping and back packing as well? I have always used a thin inflatable foam pad, but switched this year to a Exped insulated mattress. It is like and air mattress, but much thinner and more compact and the insulation, in this case down, but they also make synthetic, keeps you warm as opposed to an air mattress which can be cold. They are fairly thin but comfortable and you can use it for hut or tent trips, summer or winter and they pack up small and are fairly light. They make a variety of sizes and insulation levels.

I use a high end futon mattress in my taco for winter camping, I think it has springs in it. It's heavy as hell and awkward to move in and out but holy crap, talk about living it up. It's hard to go back to the thermarest. It has gotten wet more than a few times but no problems, dries out pretty quick.

I used to use just a therma rest when I was younger, even for weeks on end. Then I had a futon in the back of a couple of trucks for a while, it was lumpy and generally hard but it was a lower end one.

I finally stepped it up to a 4" walmart memory foam mattress. Don't know if it's the same one you tried but mine has 2" of memory foam laminated to 2" of regular open cell foam on the bottom. Sweet setup, works great in cold weather and we don't bottom out.

A higher end futon would prolly be good but they get expensive and they don't breath on the bottom. Moisture will condense on top of your deck under the mattress from the temperature gradient from your body heat. You could end up with mold if you don't take it out regularly and dry it. This has happened to me before with a futon in this application.

Air mattresses are amateur hour (sorry Splat).
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Might want to check these folks out:

http://solacejh.com/

The most popular brand for truck mattress is AirBedz Lite, Fb-Sport and Rightline Gear but I will like to go with AirBedz Lite for the quality and good prices it offers.

I second paco pads, easy to roll up, and store. Plus water proof, if get wet gear, or You can also drag it out on to the ground and sleep under the stars. If you want to style it out add a camping pad, or a layer of egg carton.

If you really want comfort you should look at building your bed platform using Ikea Bed Slats. They will have some flex making the pad you choose a lot more comfortable.

Name:  bed.png
Views: 5496
Size:  438.7 KB

Fucking m-series jongs.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

This is some broken English jong, what country is this salon in?

Quote Originally Posted by Arina View Post
    I have been using this mattress for 2 years, I am very pleased. The main thing in health is a healthy and sound sleep, so you need to choose a mattress for comfort for yourself, having come to the salon and lie on each mattress bestfutonmattress.net/best-futon-mattresses/ and which will be convenient and you need to take it. The cost is probably a little expensive, but to be honest, I don’t feel sorry for sleep. This mattress is just awesome, the whole family likes it.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime