Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    only reason i check the fishing forum...

Quote Originally Posted by nateski View Post
    only reason i check the fishing forum...
    Yep. The fishing forum totally sucks.

This thread is just what I need to get me through the winter!

well, not the only reason. but the main reason.

Sailing.......takes me away.......

With the not so great fishing of the last couple days I figured it was time for a bit of something else. I spend so much time fishing here its easy to ignore some of the other cool stuff that there is to do. Sunday was the big DG regatta. The course turned out to be 8 miles. We made it in just over an hour. Wind was light out of the SSW.
    Looking out on the 31 Whalers and marina from the DGYC. Note wasted jib(needs to be higher too) on our chariot. Our competition was there way before us to grab the good sails.

Leg 1, beer 1. To the right of the beer can is Eclipse point. It is the spot behind the Officers club where I have done quite a bit of fishing.

Jamie, where is the rest of the field? By leg 3, our early starboard tack from leg 2 had our navigator/fisherman in good with the captain and he had earned himself another beer.

Here we are catching up with the MPS-2 staff/AMSEA offerinig. Colgate 26 I thiink. The skipper(and I hate using that term) is from Marblehead so I guess they are fast. Still no match for our hobie 16 today.

Looking east form the DGYC.

and something for you fisherman........
    flats south

flats north

worlds largest clouser
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Plantation trip #2

Finally go the old man on board for using the ships rescue boat a bit more. We are only 3 miles from the R&R center which is a plantation style? house with open windows that has a nice deck and BBQ you can use too. Not many people got there as its 20 miles from downtown and only open on weekends to non-boat having folks. Be forewarned I was trying a new setting for rapid exposures on my camera and the pic quality is a bit fucked. sorry.
    Just another sunrise

manta ray through the big eye binoculars, off the port side.

At the R&R center. There is a mooring you can grab that is 50 feet off the beach. The R&R house is just in the clearing there. Got the 8wt out for the bones

fished my way about a mile to the south towards eastern pt.

right near the pt. I come up on what must have been 20-30 bonefish all hanging out where the water got a bit shallower. As I was checking my rod one just snatched my fly as it was floating 10 feet from me, fish on!

After a short stay its back to work.

I wish I could have spent more time there. I may try to have them just drop me off there next time. I made one more discovery too.
    NOT TARPON!!!!!!!! milkfish. sorry.
    NO idea how to catch them yet but I will find out. Saw probably 20 fish all between 2-3 ft. They were not interested in anything I was throwing. More on these fish after I get one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Just got my MWR ticket for use of the 19ft Makos they have. Baby bluefin.

More on this later too. Again I am sorry for the shitty pics. I almost didn't want to post any but figured I have not really been contributing anything lately so I better get something up.
    Last edited by 2nd mate; 12-20-2010 at 06:54 AM.

Today we are doing our ISE(independent steaming exercise) for 3 days. Ship leaves lagoon and runs the main engine looks out the window makes water and so forth. We got permission to check out an island from the Brit Rep. Right now there are 2 planned jaunts ashore for crew. 1 recon trip as soon as we get there later today, its about 100 miles north, and 1 tomorrow for maybe a BBQ with the crew. I am going fishing though. It is very likely that nobody has ever thrown a fly here before. A TR to follow.

edit: crappy weather, rain and poor visibility was enough reason to cancel our planned excursion. We will try again in January.
    Last edited by 2nd mate; 12-14-2010 at 08:18 PM.

Okay so I have deduced, and been made aware, that there are in fact no tarpon here. There are mikfish though. This explains the massive 3 1/2 footer I saw a few months ago.

soooooo has anyone fished for milkfish before? I have been doing research teh last couple days and they seem very unlikley to bite. Some folks on teh fly talk forum have had some luck though. I am about to order some poppers ans want to throw in for whatever the milkfish might go after. any advice on flies? I figure to run 50# mono for a shock then 20# back up to 50# with biminis and surgeons for making up the leader. I really need to find out what the breaking strain is on my backing. Need to call email shop today.

must be possible:

came up in a google image search for milkfish. Freakin cool...
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

From what I've read, milkfish eat algae and possibly other fish eggs. Maybe one of those pink ones you folks snag salmon with would work, in green/chartreuse?

who knows...but good luck!
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by khakis View Post
    must be possible:

came up in a google image search for milkfish. Freakin cool...
    That looks like a giant Ladyfish, which is the poor man's tarpon, which would make this a giant mini tarpon. What kind of f'd up backwards place are you in?

the milkfish is in its own Family. Not species or subspecies or genus, but freakin Family! It's like The Land Before Time or something!
    He put his boots on.

^^^^I was on that seychelles website you got that pic from, 7k for a trip seems pricey without booze. Trying to get some stuff from my local shop shipped out here so I can fish these things. In the meantime poppers for trevally and GT's this week.

what kind of f'd up place am I in: maybe these fish are zombies from all the nuke testing they did here back in the 40's

I would guess crab patterns, maybe crazy charlies? Seem like their preferred forage dictates more time looking down than up, and what fish wouldn't go for a mega-shot of protein?

Slightly off topic, any of you guys furl leaders? Seems like a really cool idea, and the folks who use furled leaders swear by them
    http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/g...edleaders.aspx
    http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/g...ed_leader.aspx
    http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/may2006/185
    He put his boots on.

Slightly off topic, any of you guys furl leaders? Seems like a really cool idea, and the folks who use furled leaders swear by them
    Each to his own, but I don't like them, except maybe for nymphing.

1. They absorb water, then when you cast, the absorbed water sprays all over the place. Not good in tricky dry fly situations.

2. They always seemed clunky to me, short and fat. Hard to get a nice delicate laydown. Maybe if I tried a longer, thinner I might feel differently.

So maybe if you are deep nymphing and throwing a tuck cast, they might be good. And they are kind of fun to make. But hey, it's just fishing. Do what you want.

interesting, I've never used one, and never considered them as an option in freshwater, but it's pretty cool to see that back in the day they were made of silk and horsehair! Just seems like they would make sense when shock absorption is an issue.
    He put his boots on.

Just seems like they would make sense when shock absorption is an issue.
    That's what the tip of your rod and soft hands are for, or in 2nd Mate's case, a smooth drag.

Good luck and happy eating. Apparently milkfish is a key food fish for asian cuisine.

http://www.fintalk.com/moxie/1/1_1/milkfish-fly.shtml

I.......don't really eat seafood. Maybe crab rangoon, or freshly caught tuna from time to time.

^ Weird, I am the same way. but you can add a plate of essex fried clams to the list

When I was little we used to do freshly picked quahogs, right out of Marion harbor, with ketchup.

coral flats

Yesterday, Dec 29th, was good day. Grabbed the 8wt. Got ashore on the 1100 launch and after figuring out where I had left my bike from the Christmas eve party..........I was on my way. 10 mile ride south on the island. Somewhere between downtown and his outer reef area I will call exit ramp(near runway) I lost my gatorade. It must have popped out of my camelbak. Luckily I still had a water bottle. But I digress....
    looking back north. runway is behind these trees. Coral flats that were dredged by navy in 1973 or so. Outer reef facing SE.

First cast was a small bonefish on a tiny clouser. Second was a blackfin trevalley.

he was small but fun to catch.

I brought a bunch of crabs back...not the kind sailors bring home from the P.I. So I figured this looks like crab country here and I threw one on.

One of maybe 10-15 bonefish.

So these fish look like coke bottles when you spot them. So I spotted what looked like a freaking 2 liter coke BOTTLE! There was probably 3-4 big fish in this group. So I dropped the fly about 10 feet in front of where they were headed and began stripping. One monster attacked the crab and after what I thought was a good strip set......BANG! He starts running back teh way he came with my crap. The line was stripping so fast I was actually thinking this bonefish is going to spool me????? Probably not but he was gone. Then he was really gone as I realized I could have probably set the hook better. No worries though I will get him today or tomorrow.

8wt for trevelley? Yep....... and other stuff too.

Decided to say fuck the OT and made my way ashore at 0900. The plan was to check the backside of the runway, which is the ocean side with coral flats. Got there at 1000 and it was dry. So I figured I could kill some time and head over towards the graveyard and throw for some bones.

It gets pretty freaky making my way through 75 yards of jungle to a graveyard.

One pretty cool/scary tree. Seems like a logical place for a graveyard 100 years ago.

landed a nice little bone as I threw towards a big ass pompano. Unfortunately he died. Swallowed the shit out of the fly and by the time I got it out and was never able to recover. After about 5-7 minutes of trying to bring him back I started to worry about sharks and let him go. RIP. First one I have killed that I am aware of.

Now it was time for the outer reef. About a hour and a half after low tide. Just starting to be fishable here. Had 2 fair sized bones on, they were schooling, and landed 1 smallish bluefin trev.

bluefin shot with a camera that has a replacement on order.

Saturday we have a morning trip in the lagoon planned. Paul has a nice camera so I will get some nice shots.

Plain cool.

I love these adventures you're on (I guess it's your life...cool life)

Thanks for showing the other side of the world

Ile du Coin, boat trip

Sorry this has(temporarily) turned into a travel report and not a fishing report. I have been working a bit and the NW monsoon has made the big ones hard to find. I am forever optimistic though about future fishing here.
    My ship got underway from our anchorage(undisclosed location) and headed north of the Great Chagos Bank.
    We launched our rescue boat just to the south of this atoll.

we would be headed for Ile du Coin and its deserted plantation in the sw area of this atoll.

we arrived and anchored in a small cove in the lee of the NW monsoon.

As the others pressed into the jungle I headed about 200 yards to the north to fish a spot between two islands where the reef ran into the lagoon.

one of these on every cast. A few larger ones too but no bigs I was hoping for. I did see a few but no cheese.

after 45 minutes the others found me and snapped a few pics.

funny crab the commodore took a pic of

My boss was seriously unhappy at my reluctance to leave after only 1 hour. Not nearly as unhappy as I though.

after a 7 mile run in the boat we were back home.

I am back on the 00-08 watch next week and will put some miles on my bike in search of some nice fish.
    I need tips on how to take good pictures when you are by yourself.
    Last edited by 2nd mate; 02-04-2011 at 01:54 AM.

Hey- no pics of the 40 pound GT you mentioned in the Lara whatever thread?