Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Liking this thread. Cheers!!

Quote Originally Posted by khakis View Post
    sick!!! So did your hand get cut up or what?
    Not too bad, just bad enough for me to let go of Eric's fish of a lifetime. But he still failed to get a picture when he had my camera attached for easy pickings.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Procrastinate

I love to procrastinate, This was my last weekend fishing before I leave for home.
    The worst weather I have ever fished in, except for when I got engaged to my wife. If I had not had my drag cranked I would have been fucked. he still took me to my backing 3 times. Visibility was as bad as I have seen. I was simply casting into an area I figured would be good for bones...it was.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monster bone.JPG 
Views:	837 
Size:	485.9 KB 
ID:	98108

I forgot to mention how the day got started,
    12 miles down the road there is a gate that keeps the donkeys away from the inhabited parts of the island. The donkeys are left over from when there was a plantation on the island back before WW2. They just roam all over. So we park in the area where the animals roam free, and I break out my rod and put it together and lean it up against the van. Then as I am rigging the 14wt a donkey walks up and starts sniffing my reel. They are pretty big too. So out of my mouth comes the quote of the day..."DONKEY, STOP LICKING MY 10WT!" he did and moved on to Eric's 12wt. it turns out though a donkey licking you rod is good luck. Who knew?
    Last edited by 2nd mate; 06-26-2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: donkey

That is a nice fish!
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

hmmm...now where's me a donkey...

great fish! How big is that? 10lb?
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

30=31 inches can be 10-12lbs. This one was unusually chubby for DGAR bones, so I would guestimate on the high side. We were in an area with a different bottom than where we previously fished. Nearly all the bones we have landed have been of a pretty slender build. The shallow coral flats we fish have constant moving water with little or no pools of slack water and we suspect this contributes to the build of the fish. I would have to ask my wife or Hop though for a professional opinion......?

...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by mushmouth View Post
    negative, but my buddy is trying to get Christmas Island as his next duty station. I am going through boner withdrawal.

Fuck You Ben

the latest and so far greatest FUCK YOU form my fishing buddies back in DG. 12wt sage rod/Galvan T-14 reel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ericmonster.JPG 
Views:	677 
Size:	547.2 KB 
ID:	104604
    I think I am going to throw up now

Hugh Conway Guest
    damn. that's a fish from the flats

I'm not sure what's more impressive, the size of the fish or that a Galvan actually stood up to that.

Jesus, another non-native released...was that into Moosehead? 2nd_mate....
    Nice

Whats up Ben....this is Paul. I was bored yesterday and decided to make a movie using the unfortunately small number of clips I had accumulated throughout the second half of my tour on DG. Lately I have been reminiscing about warm water and big fish, which was my inspiration. While I was waiting for some clips for the movie to upload, I remembered you mentioning this forum which I actually bookmarked some time ago, but had since forgotten about. Figuring that you would have posted something in reference to Diego I searched and found this thread. Wow....I could not believe that majority of the last year on the island was documented within a thread on a forum. Seeing that huge GT reminds me of all the ones that got away, the missed opportunities, the line snapping corral, and broken knots.

I dont think I ever showed you the shark video. Well its in there albeit separated into two pieces. The latter showing the shark coming at me. Have to watch closely but you'll see it. Hope all is well.

I thought I would add my 2 cents.

Paul,

Thanks for the GO-PRO vid. I am going to pick one up if I am headed back. I was going to forward you the GT pic but I am sure that would only make you mad. Let me know if you still want it. I should also find out if I go back to DG in a few days......it would be a job for FIVE YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More envious than mad I guess. Maybe its the fact that the next time I will have a shot at one of those is when I drop 5k on a trip. I might have to look into your line of work once this whole navy thing is done. My time out there definitely made signing that enlistment document worth my while.

just let me know when and I will get you going. G.I. bill will be huge too.

I just found a great site with good info on targeting DG fish. http://www.flycastaway.com/index.php...ad-parrotfish/

To be continued. I really need a 12 wt.

Woo hoo! One of my favorite continuing sagas. I'm still bummed we didn't get to get out last summer. Can't wait to hear what you have cooking.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

YEAH!! Very psyched to see this thread return!

This just came in today.

"We would like to offer you an assignment aboard the USNS @&%#*!, located in Diego Garcia, starting OOA August 23."

Now I need to figure out a way to get a bomber 12wt setup without the wife finding out I just spent a butt load of money???

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd mate View Post
    This just came in today.

"We would like to offer you an assignment aboard the USNS @&%#*!, located in Diego Garcia, starting OOA August 23."

Now I need to figure out a way to get a bomber 12wt setup without the wife finding out I just spent a butt load of money???
    Congrats! I'll loan you my rarely (really, never) used Winston BiiX 12wt for a bottle of bourbon and a shitload of pictures!

^^That would be amazing. Just tell me what type of Berb you desire. I was just in the shop jerking off a hatch nine plus and was trying to figure a way around a new rod AND reel .

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd mate View Post
    ^^That would be amazing. Just tell me what type of Berb you desire. I was just in the shop jerking off a hatch nine plus and was trying to figure a way around a new rod AND reel .
    Something fun to read your reports with!!

PM your addy and I'll get it out..

I for one am pretty stoked for the pictures that are sure to come. Safe travels and post often.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?