Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    hooked not landed. I have been busy here not catching shit. Leaving in less than a week too. I will be back around May 1.

I did have a pretty epic adventure last weekend. Paul and I rode the bus to the plantation 17 miles. We then rode our bikes as far as we could before the road ended, 8 miles. We walked 2 more miles on the ocean side trying to get to Barton Pt. which is approx 27 miles from downtown. It took us more than 3 hours to get there. As we finally make our way to what is the most remote part of the island, Paul says " I expected to see some GT's right away." I said nothing as there was a monster 10 feet in front of us right where the reef and the Point create a small cove. I cast past him with Paul now yelling at me that he saw him first. Second cast I threw a Mush, not the NY Mush, probably 50 feet past him and stripped fast. I never saw him hit it but within seconds I was into my backing, deep into it. I had been so excited to get my fly wet I forgot I still had straight 20lb for a leader...........and you can guess what a 40lb GT did to that tippet. By far the hardest I have ever had anything hit my 10wt. It has been a week and I am still thinking about that fish. That Mushmouth looked freaking awesome in the water too. Stayed long enough for Paul to have one hit his fly. It had a mouth like a dinner plate. Probably 50+ lbs they way it hit. No big fish landed. we only stayed about an hour and a half. which turned out to be about and hour too long.
    SO Now were were to begin our trek back to where we abandoned our bikes. At this stage we were pretty sure we would be missing the last bus back downtown which would add 17 miles to our day. maybe 20 miles of our day were off-road biking. A nice person drove by in a truck shortly after we both ran out of water and rove us back the remaining 14 miles.
    The chart of the best fishing grounds I have ever seen.

Looking north towards Barton Point. You can see the outer reef and the cove area we fished.

Looking south towards Observatory Point.

One of Paul. About 100 feet after this we see about a 12 foot shark sunning himself in the flats and Paul turns on hid Go-Pro for some footage. I was standing by with a nice rock to scare off the shark. Paul got within 5 feet of the big fella before he stirred from his slumber. Footage came out crappy.

A few from Saturday morning:
    Looking East towards Cannon Point during low water from the outer reef.

We would find a big hunk of brain coral and just climb on top. About this time as I take a random picture 2 GT's swim past him as he is fucking with his reel.

I was only able to land a small Trevalley. Back at it in the morning for what might be my last day before I am paroled on Thursday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paul.JPG 
Views:	829 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	93433   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toward obs pt.JPG 
Views:	863 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	93434   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eclipse reef.JPG 
Views:	834 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	93435   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chart.JPG 
Views:	847 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	93436   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shaaaak.JPG 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	93437  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Looking north.jpg 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	93438  
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

I now run either 2-3 ft of 33lb or 20lb to 6-8 ft of straight 80lb. 50lb Gel spun will be installed when I get home so I can run the 33 without fear of loosing my entire fly line when my backing lets go.

Headed home for ski season.

Left the island 2 weeks ago. My buddy Paul left for good but not before we had a few good days. Forgot my camera the day I landed a real nice bluefin on the outer reef off of Eclipse pt. Another guy flew in the day my flight was delayed so we got a chance to fish for a few hours the next day before I left. Since we saw a 60lb GT that day inside the lagoon he has seen it a few times but he has been rigged for bones. The fish scared the shit out of me as he came up behind me. He showed twice in about an hour and both times got to 10 ft from me. Water was almost knee deep and his dorsal fin was above the surface. Massive fish I am sure Eric will be able to chase down before I get back in May.
    If someone can tell me what these are I will send you a new DG t-shirt.

On the far left of this one we were casting for bones when the monster GT swam by twice.

A nice view of Eclipse pt on the bottom of the pic. With west island, middle island, east island and Barton pt from bottom to top. Barton is where I hooked into the big Gt after an epic travel day on foot and bike. The area on the bottom is the outer reef we fish at low tide when there is not a big swell from the NW.

parting shot until I return in May.

Name:	leaving3.JPG 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	94768Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leaving4.JPG 
Views:	829 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	94769Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leaving2.JPG 
Views:	842 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	94770Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leaving1.JPG 
Views:	838 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	94771

If someone can tell me what these are I will send you a new DG t-shirt.
    B-2 aircraft shelters.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

EFASS=Expeditionary Forces Aircraft Shelter System

as to what's inside?

or

Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    B-2 aircraft shelters.
    my guess as well. Last week i wouldnt have had a clue, but after reading about the special care they need and the hangers built in the UK and DG it only makes sense.

plugboots and mcroon likely winners?
    During the War in Iraq, B-2s operated from Diego Garcia and an undisclosed "forward operating location". Other sorties in Iraq have launched from Whiteman AFB.[5] This resulted in missions lasting over 30 hours and one mission of over 50 hours. The designated "forward operating locations" have been previously designated as Guam and RAF Fairford, where new climate controlled hangars have been constructed. B-2s have conducted 27 sorties from Whiteman AFB and 22 sorties from a forward operating location, releasing more than 1.5 million pounds of munitions,[5] including 583 JDAM "smart bombs" in 2003.[53]
    In March 2011, B-2s were the first US aircraft into action in Operation Odyssey Dawn, the UN mandated enforcement of the Libyan no-fly zone. Three B-2s dropped 40 bombs on a Libyan airfield in support of the UN no-fly zone.[
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

B-2 aircraft shelters.
    chicken dinner. pm sent

Yay.

65lb backing has been wound on the riptide and T-10. When I arrive back on the island in about 2 weeks I will have 2 months to catch a GT.

Jebus, it had been a while since I looked through this thread. Great stuff!

I'd love to hear a review on the backing once you work it a bit.

awaiting departure of a AMC flight to "the island." My new fishing buddy Eric who is stationed on "the island" has a car. The monsoon is done and the SE trades are blowing. It is almost time to inspect the new backing. Eric has been catching pompano too.

Back at work

Made it back to work sans power cord for computer. Managed to beg/borrow/steal one from the LAN/system admin.
    I will be working from 0000-0800 for the next two months. My goal is to fish at least 2 days during the week and then both weekend days with Eric. Eric is my new navy fishing buddy who is on fucking incredible fishermen. There is much I can learn in the next couple months.......like how to cast at GT's and not in.....trees.
    Eric and I made it out together on Sunday morning May 1??? WE have taken to carrying a 8wt and strapping a heavier setup to the backpack. For and hour we worked north just after low tide and didn't see anything. We then hit the beach to walk back and have a quick break. I am yapping away at how excited I am to be back and Eric is nice enough to point out the 2 large bonefish working towards us. so I cast, no hit form #1, cast #2 fish on! After the nice fella shows me my backing I am able to run him up on the shore and Eric grabs him.

My biggest so far. Immediately a makeup for only 2 ski days last season.

slightly out of focus head on shot.

I fished Monday but the tides were not in my favor as by the time I got ashore after a few hours of overtime there was a small window before the high water closed out most of my fishing spots. So I decided to just walk south form Cannon point. I did throw a mush at a bluefin trevalley I see playing about 50 feet out into the reef. He nearly came out of the water chasing my fly, but was soon gone. I walked about a half mile and turned around to head back to the north. Then I see IT/THEM. A HUGE shark about 20 feet off the beach and he had one fucking insane entourage. 3 massive GT's all over 70lbs and 1 black GT, pretty rare I guess. I drop the 8 and grab the 10. Throw once about 10 ft in front of the group, no dice, haul back and sprint down the beach to get past the fish so I can cast in front of them and strip....... back cast in a tree. I was working with maybe 15 ft of beach.
    Tuesday: Ride the bike back the scene of the bonefish encounter. Saw a few bones but nothing big and as the wind started pick up figured I would head for thunder cove and the semi lee created by Point Marianne. I come out onto the reef that separates sand flat sections. I see mucho bones just sitting in the sand where the flats meet the reef. Head casually back to shore and drop my 10. Throw a blue and white clauser on the 8wt and cast....onto the reef as I now spot a couple golden trevs darting around the reef.
    Fish on!.

Fish landed and released. He swam away strong after about 10 seconds of being caressed.

so far so good. Also had a big bone rip deep into my backing and then spit out the minnow. so sorry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5010133.JPG 
Views:	571 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	97008   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	close golden.JPG 
Views:	573 
Size:	293.2 KB 
ID:	97009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big boner.JPG 
Views:	582 
Size:	301.3 KB 
ID:	97010   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eric with bone.JPG 
Views:	590 
Size:	264.0 KB 
ID:	97011   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	golden.jpg 
Views:	582 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	97012  

Nice. About a week or so until we get stripers around here. I'll try an save some for you.

Although I think I'd rather be where you are. Keep up the reports..
    on the send bus to gnar town

...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Bonefish

We had a few days of crappy weather and crappy tides. It's finally nice again.

Headed 9 miles away from downtown with a few other guys to throw flies. It seems the farther away from downtown you go the bigger and dumber the fish get. we all landed many bones today. They were all over in schools, singles, doubles you name it. And they were big too. It isn't even worth posting pics from any of the 6-7lb fish
    Biggest bone any of us have ever caught.

He isn't really holding it that far away from his body. It's a pretty big one, and thick

hi there fella. go get bigger.

This fella was in a group of 5. The rest were slightly smaller.

Name:	Jakes.JPG 
Views:	564 
Size:	298.5 KB 
ID:	97481Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eric huge bone 5.JPG 
Views:	574 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	97482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eric huge bone 2.JPG 
Views:	562 
Size:	302.5 KB 
ID:	97483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eric huge bone.JPG 
Views:	620 
Size:	280.3 KB 
ID:	97484

Right on!

Nice.....

Sunday near the donkey gate

Three of us made out way south towards the donkey gate. There are wild donkeys on the atoll and there is a gate about 12 miles form downtown that keeps them from roaming the whole island. SO we park and start walking south on the flats. It was about 3 hours before low tide and there was not quite enough sun at 0800 for real fishing. I just started walking in the direction of where the big bonefish were found the day before. As soon as I was able to see well enough to start looking for fish.
    Soon we were into the best bonefishing I have ever seen. There were so many schools we just walked right through them if there were no big ones to throw flies at.
    My first of the day.

A nice head on view of one a bit later in the morning.

Before Eric started to head back for his car do do his noon rounds, we were all catching steady fish in the 5-7 lb area. we were not even casting at anything smaller than that.
    A bit later Eric returns from his rounds and before he works his way to me he starts screaming to me from about 75 feet. His 10wt is bent over like Mushmouth's rod that broke off on that bug blue. Backing is fucking tearing off his reel like I have never seen. He is yelling about something. I turn to reel in, away from the school I am casting near, and as I turn back he has his head down and is sulking reeling his line back in. I walk over and talk to him and he tells me about the bone fish he hooked. He swears it was 40 inches. The way it was tearing line off that gulfstream I believe him. The fish took off right for the reef and simply broke off his 20lb flouro. We are going to try and run 33lb next time out.

After a while we figured we would keep on looking for new areas and continued south once more towards where the cars were not parked. A few small bones and one nice blue and it was time for me to head back to work.
    Fresh off his stint with SEAL team 6.

Name:	bone head.JPG 
Views:	489 
Size:	275.4 KB 
ID:	97614Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eric Blue.JPG 
Views:	480 
Size:	286.2 KB 
ID:	97615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ben bone.JPG 
Views:	482 
Size:	267.1 KB 
ID:	97616
    Last edited by 2nd mate; 05-29-2011 at 12:58 AM.

With those big bones that aren't leader shy go heavy, and use a loop knot, (if you aren't already), to save some fly action. I lost a whole fly line once because a big one took me out, made a right turn and cut the backing on coral.
    So you're working there, right?
    Fresh off his stint with SEAL team 6.
    huh.

With those big bones that aren't leader shy go heavy, and use a loop knot, (if you aren't already), to save some fly action. I lost a whole fly line once because a big one took me out, made a right turn and cut the backing on coral.
    So you're working there, right?

huh.
    pics are not uploading right now so that was an incomplete post. The picture would better explain my SEAL comments.

I have been using non-slip loops for everything. I am going to try 50 as well as 30 and see if that helps. SO far that huge bone is the only fish we have seen that made a b-line for the reef drop off. All the rest have been taking off up or down the flats. It is kinda funny to think I very well may be fishing for bones with a 8 wt rod, a riptide with 9wt line and 50 lb flouro. Eric has been using a 10 wt rod a Gulfstream and he will be on heavy ass leader too. Our other weapons are a t-10 and 10 wt rod for GT's and Ric has been taking a 12 wt rod and T-14.

A guide told me that if they get to the drop off, to back the drag way off and then walk it out to the edge, as far as you can, then try and get tight to them from there.

I know, but it sounded good.

My 9wt with 10 line is my Hawaii bonefish rod. In Ascension Bay I liked to use a 6.

We spent a bit of time last night talking about leader size and such and pretty much came to the conclusion that as the big fish haul ass for the reef, slack the line, and they should stop. Then reel and walk towards the fish and try to turn him in and away from the outer reef. I have a couple of spare fly lines so lets find out if I need them. So far teh 65 lb backing has been great. I just wish it were a diff color so it was easier to see. It is a really dark green.

It's been a while

So now there are 4 of us flyfishers here. Mostly due to Eric and his abundance of gear and his abililty to outfit multiple people. He has chose quite smartly who to outfit as our new fishing buddies are the key(literally) to fishing in the off limits area we now call "Land of the Big's"

So after a few weeks of getting to know the crew we, Eric and I, convince the fellas we need to head out, way the fuck out, to Barton Point to chase the biggest and baddest fish I have ever seen. They were after bones and Eric and I were carrying 14wt reels searching for GT's.
    Morning launch boat ride to the island

As we park the van and unload the bikes for the 20 plus mile hike and bike we see the uncertainty in the eyes of the 2 new to flyfishing fishermen. They are close, but not quite yet at the stage where they will go to all ends in search of big fish. Eric decides to now tell them now that we dont exactly have permission to go where we are planning on going..........? So we take off and 7 miles later dump the bikes and hit the jungle.

After a few minutes dodging coconut crabs(1000pound fine for killing them) we hit the outer reef at low tide. You know we have it pretty good when we are just kicking aside schools of4-7lb bones during the fist mile of our trek to the end of the island. Eric and I have come for BIG fish and we are not stopping for any bone under double digits. I did take a pop at one of these

but he was not having any of it so we pressed on. I still have not landed one

After about 2 miles of walking we were both getting really excited to see what a low tide at Barton point would bring. Just around the corner....

Finally there. we fished for about an hour before the other 2 guys showed up. we thought they might have turned around but they were just slamming the bones.
    Looking at the outer reef from Barton Point

looking a bit to the left and here is the area where I last had a GT take a fly and GO like hell only to break me off.

Eric snagged a nice snapper, watch those fingers.

Incredibly there would be no Gt's at Barton point today.
    then we left Barton Point. About a half mike back eric and I are chatting trying not to get poked in the eyes by all the birds doing fly bye's and here he comes. we spot the 40#+++ GT cruising towards us. we were expecting/hoping for a few bones on the way back and we were holding our 10wt rods rigged with crabs. we both make a quick swap but Eric is the inside man and he is just a hair quicker with the cast and as soon as his fly hits the water the GT GOES LIKE A FUCKING TORPEDO AND WHAM!! eats the fly. I was really amazed how well the Galvan T-14 was able to muscle a 40# fish. I drop all my gear to help and of course we are pretty far out on the flat as Eric fights this fish. My gloves are not 50 yards away and this is not going to be pretty as I try and tail this monster. I snap my camera to Eris chest and go for the fishes tail. first try I grab him and he kicks away STRONGLY. 2nd attempt I have him but he kicks again and I feel something slice into my hand. I am not watching eric, I am hoping he is getting a pic. he doesnt and teh leader parts and his prize swims away..... my bad. he hasn't emailed me in a week.
    I was able to get out the next day and landed a snapper of my own. he went pretty deep into the 65#backing on my 10wt but I landed him and released him. He was every bit as big as the one Eric landed at Barton.

the nice bone I caught later in the day

Now I have 3 weeks before I leave. Maybe I will get into a permit and maybe even a GT before I leave forever.???

Name:	barton trip 2-5.JPG 
Views:	469 
Size:	252.6 KB 
ID:	97864Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barton trip 2-7.JPG 
Views:	483 
Size:	306.2 KB 
ID:	97865Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barton trip 2-4.JPG 
Views:	468 
Size:	237.4 KB 
ID:	97866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	land of.JPG 
Views:	472 
Size:	289.5 KB 
ID:	97867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barton trip 2-3.JPG 
Views:	462 
Size:	251.5 KB 
ID:	97868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eric permit.JPG 
Views:	472 
Size:	243.5 KB 
ID:	97869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	land of 2.JPG 
Views:	457 
Size:	228.0 KB 
ID:	97870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snapper.JPG 
Views:	460 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	97871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barton trip 2-2.JPG 
Views:	479 
Size:	267.0 KB 
ID:	97872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barton trip 2-1.JPG 
Views:	475 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	97873
    Last edited by 2nd mate; 06-12-2011 at 04:42 PM.

sick!!! So did your hand get cut up or what?
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.