Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    You've got stone IPA in the middle of the Indian ocean?!?
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres

I love this thread!

And I finally figured out where you are!
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

TGRGT

This is not my fish, Paul got this one a few days ago and just sent me the pic. He caught it on an 8wt Ross. It nearly pulled him in the water. He was up to his chest when I got to him. I helped him land it though. So felt I deserved the first pic with this fine little GT.

Yesterday the Fillippino contractors who do daywork here hooked a 8-10ft nurse shark. Didnt have time to get a pic but it was LARGE.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

I love this TR!! Keep up the solid work, so us land locked desk jockeys have some stoke to drool over!
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

Nice fish and I too am enjoying this thread A LOT!

Those fish are beasts. The closest i've come is hooking one of their cousins, a Jack Crevalle, in the Grenadines several years ago in the middle of the night. At first I thought I snagged a rock before it uncontrollably tore line of the reel. It took several runs like that before it wrapped the line under the dock and was gone...
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

what day is it now???

Very windy but we were brave and set out across the flats in search of bones. As we crossed the reefs we woud cast for trevally. Had a few hits but no big fish today.
    artsy pic

turtle head:

we made our way into the lee and tried a new area outside the lagoon. I landed baby jack and saw perhaps 10 turtles. ^^^^^ one kept following me. He was rolling over and shit so I snapped a few pics and he seemed happy.
    this week is evening fishing at the O club. I have the day watch all week.
    thanks for the positive feedback fellas.

Man 0 Man, do I love fishing in the keys!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

You can find me at the club, bottle full o' bub

Saturday night at the O' Club.
    shitty wind all week and it finally let up to 20kts

less than 2 weeks before the Brits deport me.

disclosed location

I will be on the mid watch all week, 00-08, Lots of time to hit the flats/reefs for fishing. Tides and forecast both look good. I am trying to setup a boat trip for this weekend to try our luck on the offshore reefs. Normally for boat trips you either troll for tuna, wahoo, cuda ect; bottom fish for grouper snapper and sweetlips or a combo of the two. Hopefully the boat guys will be able to set up up on one of the 31 ocean-masters they have. I would guess they have never done any fly fishing from one before. I am in Diego Garcia for those of you who haven't figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd mate View Post
    on one of the 31 ocean-masters they have.
    DROOL.

Those are some beautiful machines.

Very cool, or should I say HOT.

You've got a whole different world down there, I love the stoke.

Day something

Day something. Rode bike to the usual spot I am now calling Bike Rack Reef. Tide was low so I went to work on the bones.
    saw a neat looking crab just on the edge of the beach. He was crabby so he did the crab dance

looking out the reef at low tide. Bones on first 2 casts.

So I figure I can take some pics later after I get a real nice one.....much later I settled for a pic of the only other fish I would get that day.

this red coral breaks up and makes some of the most amazing sand I have ever seen

went out to the ocean side and snapped a quickie of some surf

a fun day with one real nice bone early in the day. Not much after hose early ones though. We are planning a trip to the far side of the atoll where rumors of 20 lb bone fish float.

Plantation trip

blah blah blah there used to be a coconut plantation here before the US and Brits kicked them off in 1971 to build an airstrip. I forget how long it operated for but it was at least 100 years or something.
    Paul was able to grab a van and we headed off. It is 17 miles there. Most of it is paved like this.

About half way there you come to Turtle Cove, the southern tip of the island/lagoon. NO FUCKING FISHING!

There is an outflow that lots of turtles hang out at. I have heard of many large bones here as well when the tide is high.

I would give my left nut to fish here in this little estuary.

there probably aren't any bones here anyway

not here either

Then it was back in the car to legit fishing grounds. This is the plantation house. usually the big attraction down here for non fishing types

at new "undisclosed spot" with many birds watching over us

after the birds attacked Paul he was a bit nervous

and i saw a seriously huge bonefish. It swam between us at a range of 6-8 feet and was a least 15-20 lbs. NO BULLSHIT. At first we thought it was a tarpon except there are no tarpon here. It was a solid 36" just freaking massive. I have seen many other types of fish this size as well. What sucked is no good bones. saw tons that were big say 10lbs but no luck with large or small clousers(asst colors) crabs or shrimp. They would follow the fly for a bit, 3 or 4 of them, then tail off as the leader was almost to my rod. I was using 20 lb flouro and a light blue fly line with a shooting head. They were all around us????? I have no idea what the fuck they eat. I really think hey looked at us like aliens. Very few if any people fish where we were. Later inspection reveals we were in fact in a legit area. I leave in 4 days so I will be back there with more info and ammo in NOV.
    Last edited by 2nd mate; 08-01-2010 at 06:56 AM.

Fuck you you piece of fucking shit. JEALOUS.

As for the picky fish, I'm no bonefish expert, but did yo try using smaller flies? And 20lb tippet seems a little much.

Good luck with 'em. Looking forward to more shots of places I will never get to go.

bye bye

to be continued in November.........

can't wait till november. this is my favorite thread on tgr

Sucks you're leaving, but aren't you headed back to the Northeast? If so, your timing is pretty good...almost like it was on purpose.

I have truly enjoyed this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by mushmouth View Post
    Sucks you're leaving, but aren't you headed back to the Northeast? If so, your timing is pretty good...almost like it was on purpose.
    I didnt plan it but with a proper outlook things seem to come together

3 keepers in Salem Sound yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd mate View Post
    3 keepers in Salem Sound yesterday
    Nice! Salem Harbor was silly this evening with hundreds of terns and cormorants chasing the bait the schoolies were balling up. We managed LOTS of mid 20's fish and one 30" (my largest on the fly yet).
    on the send bus to gnar town

*update*

I left but Paul says the fish have not! A nice bluefin trevally off the O-Club

a bit sandy maybe

Update #2

Super low tide today.....I was able to walk past the o club on the reef by the break all the way to where the water got deeper going into the lagoon and bird island. I caught a decent bluefin and about 10 minutes after that saw this guy chillin behind a big stingray only about 15 feet in front of me. Cast my fly out, he chased it and 20 minutes later I had him in my hand. I couldnt believe I landed him. It was by far the strongest fish i have ever played with.

to top it off, later I waded out from the o club onto the reef about 200 yards off the beach. I look to my left and theres a gt maybe twice as big as the one in the pic swimming away from me. I cast out past it and started retrieving, and he turns, chases and I feel him hit my fly but dont get a hookset. That was probably a good thing considering the one I caught earlier took 3/4 of my backing off my reel. So I guess im glad I still have a line to fish with.

Hope the stripers are still biting.

-paul

prepare for update.....currently waiting transport to DG from the Kingdom of Bahrain. Actually just got an email from Paul today asking when I am coming back. I should have 4 months for fishing/work ahead of me. Paul says the winds are starting to die down a bit which means no more casting in 20kts of wind everyday.

It has returned

so far .75 bonefish/day. Not quite the results I am looking for so far. I swear someone figured out where I was fishing and sent the philippinos there to catch and kill all the bones. I dont have many days yet as we(the ship) left for a couple days and just got back. Yesterday I passed my small boating class and I am checked out on the 19ft Makos they have here. Now I need to find someone who has time off midweek to fish with me. We are also planning a offshore trip aboard one of the 31ft whalers for sometime next week. maybe some tuna out there for us? I will get some pics up soon.