Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11

The Undisclosed location fishing log

Figures it would be called Cannon Point now. Thanks for keeping this thread going, always fun to see your updates.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

We re under lockdown on the ship with all that going on with COVID. One way to still get a little taste is to launch the vessels Rescue Boat and head out to make some casts with a 11wt intermediate. The 12 is just a stick and the 11wt T&T casts like a dream. we drifted along the edge of the reef and landed a few snappers but as we were dealing with this fella they managed so sneak out the scuppers. Bilge was dry but the self bailing scuppers can allow water into the deck from time to time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GT1.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	966.6 KB 
ID:	326341

Name:	GT2.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	862.0 KB 
ID:	326342

Name:	GT3.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	840.5 KB 
ID:	326343
    The grey GT's take on this amazing color when they are just below the surface(check out the forward part of the fish) Not quite as hypnotic as the bluefin trevally.........but GT's are 6-10x larger

Name:	GT4.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	804.2 KB 
ID:	326353
    The Captain was nice enough to drive me around so I let him take a picture with my fish.

Name:	GT5.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	882.3 KB 
ID:	326348
    I was taking a quick break from casting, dragging the 7/0 black GT Semper about 10 feet off the boat as we slowly moved along the edge of the reef. I glanced back and I see 2 large white objects, I immediately pulled the fly as I though they were sharks...then I realized they were 2 big GT's!!!! After a quick 20ft cast back at them, the big one ate in about 10ft below the surface.
    Last edited by 2nd mate; 04-24-2020 at 05:59 PM.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Fuck!
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Amazing

you fellas have any reccommendations on a shop to do annual bearing maintenance on my drift trailer in SLC?

Quote Originally Posted by BLOWhERPOW View Post
    you fellas have any reccommendations on a shop to do annual bearing maintenance on my drift trailer in SLC?
    The nearest trailer maintenance station is in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Holy shit bro you have no idea how happy this makes me. For a number of years I was the USG lead for DG and visited it many times over the years.

What especially makes me happy is seeing you guys crushing the recreational fishing. About 10 years ago the British Embassy informed us they planned to make DG a marine protected area. Long story short, they wanted to ban all fishing, to include recreational fishing by those stationed on island. As a lifelong fisherman and someone that had some of the best tuna fishing of my life around DG on an MWR boat, I literally fought harder to keep recreational fishing open than any other issue I dealt with in my 15+ years as a diplomat. We were lucky the Brits were begging us for help on a separate issue and we were able to leverage that support to keep recreational fishing for you guys.

I have had more than one drunk night with you MSC Mariners eating sashimi and telling lies.

Finding this thread is probably the highlight of my Covid quarantine! Keep crushing it brother!
    Last edited by cspringsposer; 05-11-2020 at 11:23 AM.

Cspringsposer,

Thanks for your efforts over the years to keep us fishing here, I cant even imagine this place without rec fishing. If you are looking for more pictures check out the facebook page we have: https://www.facebook.com/undisclosedlodge/ Funny hearing from you because I was pretty close to pursuing a career with the State Dept. a few years back as my wife is from Bethesda and has many close family friends that are career diplomats and a few that work for other agencies

Name:	petting zoo.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	328290
    One of the protected places on the island is Turtle Cove. The bonefish seem to understand that there is a hefty fine for fishing in this area. Turtle Cove is the southernmost part of the lagoon and this picture is looking south where there is a narrow canal that allows water to fill a number of tidal estuaries. There are a couple viewing stands to observe turtles and other things as they flow past. The immediate area to the north of this has what I feel is some of the best bonefishing flats on the planet. The flat here covers an immense area with enough tidal flow to create small variations in the depth but at the same time prevent silt from forming mud flats that suck for fish and wading. Maybe someday before I finally leave I will say the hell with it and head out there, it might only cost me 5K pounds.

Since we are restricted to the ship, unless conducting official business ashore, I figured a couple of Intro To Fly Fishing classes on board would be something different to do for the crew. I have been teaching this class since 2015 or 16 and have had quite a few students over the years...maybe 200ish??? I try to offer a class once a month when I am at work and have been somewhat successful in keeping the MWR class going when I am home on vacation with the help of other son the island....although I have not had a class ashore in 6 months. All of my trained instructors and guides have moved on and I have not had time to train any new people yet. USN is usually only here a year.

Name:	classroom.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	328291
    The class of vessel I have been on since 2014 all have a conference room that's perfect for an 8-10 student class.

Name:	IMG_5132.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1,003.6 KB 
ID:	328281
    Here we are casting on the helo deck. I begin class with some basic info about fly fishing and the equipment. We have 12 rods and reels for instruction. after about a half hour in the classroom and supper, we head out for some casting instruction.

Name:	IMG_5135.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	328283
    some students required a little more instruction than others

Name:	IMG_5163.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	627.3 KB 
ID:	328284
    I was able to get ashore on official business for a couple hours, imagine my surprise to find the tide at an all time low allowing me access to an area I can finally fish after 10 years of looking at this location. I usually say that trying to spot fish before 0900 is a waste of time....I had my first bonefish on at 0803....maybe not such a waste?

Name:	IMG_5182.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	328287
    Here is a shot looking towards the POL Pier from the adjacent cove to the immediate south. The inside of the cove is mud with little water movement, the outside areas where I am taking this shot from are perfect for bonefish and permit flowing in or out with the tide. I will try and put together some short video to post either in a couple days or when I return home in July.
    Last edited by 2nd mate; 05-12-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Have you had a chance to check out the outer islands? Im sure you sail by them during your monthly opa checks, but if you haven't had a chance to disembark you should definitely do it. I went out there a few years ago on the Brits old patrol vessel the Pacific Marlin. I know they sometimes take passengers with them if you can make it happen.

Are you guys supporting the MPA patrols? That's something we worked out a few years ago. You guys need to do sail and they need support protecting the MPA from Sri Lankan commercial fishermen.

Stay safe brother!

I have fished Ille du Coin(Perhos Banos) and the Egmont islands. Way back in this thread, where the pics disappeared, there were a few shots from the 2010 trip to Ille du Coin. Here are a few of them below.

Name:	trcoin1.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	329249
    Name:  trcoin3.JPG
Views: 1124
Size:  124.8 KB

Name:	trcoin8.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	329251
    For the trip to Ille du Coin in 2010 or 2011 we took out own RHIB in with the MPS2 Commodore and his MATO. My ship had a great relationship with the Brit Xo and he encouraged us to go in and check out the island. I fished for about 2 hours and the rest of the group walked around. I never left the beach/flat.

There was a lapse back a few years ago when the Pacific Marlin contract expired and there was not a patrol vessel. That was when CAMDA (Chagos Archipelago Maritime Domain Awareness) started and the Royal marines began embarking their pac 24's(RHIBS) aboard the ships and launching off the islands. If that 240lbs Royal Marine corporal had not tried to tackle that 100lb GT I would have had a good fish on with nothing but sand for 500 yards in every direction......fuck that guy. Now there is the Grampian Frontier that patrols all the time and there are not as many CAMDA heavy ops. The ships still submit daily reports when they are underway or more frequently is something is spotted.
    Here are a few from the strip ashore with the brits. My pal at the time was the contracted fisheries officer, an Auzzie, and he was kind of my chaperone.
    one is looking east along the south coast of western island, the other is me and a bone looking the other direction. I only had a few minutes to fish this time but could have fished there for a few days. I have looked into putting together a trip that would leave from the Maldives, but the permitting of anything other than transients to the Northern Chagos is an issue. I have spoken with a few Seychelles guides and a few others so there would be no trouble putting a crew together, just the darn Brits...... maybe when my time here comes to a close I will explore the environmental science angle for permitting. Maybe someday.
    Name:  egmont1.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  69.4 KB
    Name:  egmont2.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  29.3 KB
    Last edited by 2nd mate; 05-21-2020 at 05:49 PM.

this thread delivers and when you didnt think it could get any better an old salt finds it and brings it full circle. cheers!
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

We were finally set free from the captivity of this 950ft steel warehouse. Here is a shot of one of the last "Rescue Boat training sessions" before they allowed us ashore.

Name:	plant.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1,014.6 KB 
ID:	331877

The first weekend out I had 2 new guys cancel last minute and boy did they miss it. The old guard was on hand to get after it though, his lucky ass just got back. Looking SE here back towards Thunder Cove where we made entry.

Name:	Ean.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	743.4 KB 
ID:	331878

Tide was crazy low and allowed access to an area that is newly discovered. Nice bonefish all over the place. We also saw Milkys, Permit, Triggers, Golden Trevalley and 2 large sharks. No big GT's, just babies up to about 10 lbs?

Name:	POL.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	331880

Name:	release.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	823.4 KB 
ID:	331881

Looking out towards the haze grey jail.

Name:	ship.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	331882

Time for some (anti) social drinking

Name:	distance.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	908.1 KB 
ID:	331883

distancing not an issue

Name:	social.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	331884

14 Day quarantine in a hotel in Baltimore prior to travel+ 1 day travel+ 14 Day quarantine on the ship after arrival(required by USN)= worth it

day 1 of gangway down

Name:	IMG_5565.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	351517
    Last edited by 2nd mate; 12-07-2020 at 11:28 AM.

Straight up one of the best threads on the entire board!
    I really appreciate you sharing these adventures with us normies.

I am always happy to share the adventures here, especially since there is a possibility this will be my last trip. My class of vessels is up for bid and the NAVY should be awarding the next 5 year operating contract soon. This next few months has some real potential. The Senior officer on the island is a brand ambassador for TFO and just as crazy about fishing here as I am. In our first 2 days together we got him into a nice cuda and I he was able to drop a fly onto the head of a GT that I spotted during a rain shower. I will keep the pics coming.
    Last edited by 2nd mate; 12-09-2020 at 01:36 PM.

Thanks for keeping it going!

Seriously this is my favorite part of the internet! Other than the occasional moment of blinding jealousy
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

GT on the fly sounds unreal.

Here are two sails from last season in Costa Rica.

Name:	IMG-0018.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	352092Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-0022.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	352093
    swing your fucking sword.

Time to go after some of these:

Name:	bonetgr.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	377.6 KB 
ID:	365259

Lower the old girl off the ship after replacing her chain, 10sp cassette, and brake pads. She needs some new bearings but Amazon is taking over a month and I am due off around then. She is on her 3rd set of tires and really has been great getting me to and from the flats.

Name:	oldgirltgr.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	671.0 KB 
ID:	365260

While we wait for the sun rise high enough to reduce the surface glare, we walk the shoreline looking for tailing bones and golden trevally.

Name:	joel2tgr.jpg 
Size:	900.2 KB 
ID:	365262

Sun is now high enough for us to get out on the flat.

Name:	joeltgr.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	421.3 KB 
ID:	365263

We spotted this bird sitting low in a tree, unfortunately he looked like hi wing was broken or something. If we would have been caught putting this bird out of its misery there would have been a fine in the realm on 5k pounds sterling...I don't want any part of that.

Name:	birdtgr.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	704.9 KB 
ID:	365265

Time to get back to the ship and push through a couple hours of OT.

Name:	boattgr.jpg 
Size:	531.4 KB 
ID:	365267

I think these kids have been at the sauce, when the tide/weather sucks and the fishing isn't happening its fun to join the other 2nd Mate's from time to time. They reciprocate too

Name:	kidstgr.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	536.6 KB 
ID:	365268

Next time will be fish pics only...100% bonefish.

Holy Shit........ just got word my contract has been awarded for 5 more years

Awesome news as we won’t have to have withdrawal from this thread.

Congrats and look forward to reading and seeing more of your adventures ,,
    always forward but never straight

After the lowest low hit us, we found this sitting on the flat

Name:	Image1652485164.354928.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	984.1 KB 
ID:	416281

Finally developing some photo skills after getting my paws on a 70-200F4L🤷🏻♂️

Name:	Image1652485260.367944.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	603.7 KB 
ID:	416282

My latest protoge. Her first fish on her own

Name:	Image1652485349.776923.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	461.4 KB 
ID:	416283

Me with a nice one.

Name:	Image1652485425.918905.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	261.2 KB 
ID:	416284

Perhaps the finest angler I have had the pleasure of fishing with. We spent dozens of days together. Look him up under “ a fly rod n my sea bag”. He has a pretty cool story. It’s not often that you really connect with another angler immediately, from minute 1, on day 1, at mile 10………we were on the same page. It probably helped too that I put him into a 50lb barracuda that day🤙

Name:	Image1652485468.624125.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	809.5 KB 
ID:	416285

Quote Originally Posted by Tonic View Post
    My world record weight GT (released) on 12 lb tippet....guess where
    This must be over 100.
    Last edited by 2nd mate; 05-13-2022 at 07:20 PM.

Ive been off the island about a year. I was hoping to be back this fall but there have been some delays with the cargo we will eventually load. Lots of variables now as I decided to advance my license to Chief Mate and could end up in Korea, Guam Saipan, or DG depending on timing of open jobs. Here is one pic a friend sent me from last fall. We decided to fish rain or shine because I only had about a month to get after it.

Name:	Image1660927633.686470.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	698.7 KB 
ID:	424166

Here is a good look at a bluefin trevalley on a Sunny day

Name:	Image1660927704.998413.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	910.6 KB 
ID:	424167