school me: renting out my RV for Burning Man

I happened upon an idea: rent my RV to some nice, clean cut burners. The RV rental places are all sold out, so people are getting desperate.

My rig is old and not worth much, but it works and would be fine for the playa. It is a class A motorhome, not a trailer. Assuming i find people who want to rent it, what steps should i take to insulate/insure myself and it against damage, loss, liability, etc? This whole deal is going to be pretty much on the DL, and i'm comfortable with some risk. Obviously i won't be renting it to people that give me even the most remotely bad vibes, and i'll be asking for a substantial deposit.

TIA.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

well I usually wear a condom but then I thought "when am I going to be back to Haiti?"
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

You should go yourself.

Just realize that the ultra fine dust will cover EVERYTHING no matter how much they try to keep it clean and you can NEVER get it all out...just a heads up.

What's the worst that could happen?

Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    What's the worst that could happen?

Woah. I think I am wearing the exact same shirt at work right now.
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Helldawg Guest
    Dude, if you can get the entire value of the rig up front in the form of rent and deposit, I'd say go for it.

If not, I'd go even odds on the result being EPIC FAIL.

Even if you got the deposit - the damage they could do to your tranny, engine without you knowing about it until later down the line... not worth it.

Now, you could rent it - including you as the driver.

That's a story I could get behind.

I have some friends who were looking to rent an RV for burning man but couldn't find one for a reasonable price - I'll forward this to them.

[FYI, they're responsible folks and won't trash your RV]

ha--the RV in the background of the green shirt/gun guy actually looks a lot like mine. it's already a beater, so i'm not too worried about dust. how much worse than the Indian Creek/Castleton/Fruita/etc camping spots can it be? (famous last words?)

the plan would be for the people to pick the RV up in Reno, so there wouldn't be much driving at all. mostly they would be hanging out in it, listening to the stereo, and enjoying the shade/fridge/privacy/etc.

so, any real advice regarding insurance, etc? i intend to thoroughly interview any potential renters to weed out people like the guy in the photo above with the water ballons.... :P
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.