RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi

Canyoneering-specific gear VS. using climbing gear for canyoneering?

So, I spent last weekend in Zions with some really competent blokes, and had a blast exploring some canyons. I'm not unfamiliar with canyoneering, but I was surprised out how much of a gear-whoring people the canyoneering geeks are. We were behind the nerdiest group of punters, for SEVERAL rappels, and they were totally decked out in their canyoneering accoutrements.

To get straight to the point, my question: Is the gear from Imlay and what-not that helpful in getting down canyons, or is it simply a super-niche market that tries to appeal to those that would do anything to "look the part?"

Examples and thoughts from those who have more experience than I?
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

Canyoneering ropes are usually static instead of dynamic since you are just rappelling. They are also dual sheath and have more dry treatment.

Shoes and harnesses are also different but approach shoes work great as do a climbing harness as long as you aren't doing tight spaces. Alpine bod by BD is a great option and cheap.

I got so much silt in my approach shoes from canyoneering they were pretty much too nasty to use for anything else. YMMV.

Hugh Conway Guest
    canyoneering gear is built for more abuse - and a number of things, like floating rope bags, aren't much use climbing. Imlay, last I checked, doesn't make much nerdy fashion apparel, it's mostly useful shit, and the man behind Imlay once worked for BD if that matters.

I tired a dry suit for the first time last week in Zion, and have decided it's not a good idea, for me at least. I've already returned the top and bottom since the top had a hole in it after 1 day in Pine Creek.

I'd go for a wetsuit to be honest.

I use water shoes with more ankle support and neoprene socks rather than canyoneering boots/shoes. I wouldn't go with solly water shoes thought as their ankle retention sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermittent
    And furthermore. What is up with turkey bacon? Healthy bacon? Unpossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite
    That is like masturbation. People resort to it when they can't have the real thing!

On the many trips I have done, climbing gear worked fine. I would like a more dedicated rappel device, and maybe a stainless carabiner if I use a tube type belay device. The sand covered wet ropes nearly sawed through one of my aluminum lockers. If you have a lot of climbing gear I would use it, but if you are buying only for canyoneering the specialty gear might be worth it.

Keep in mind that canyoneering, while a lot of fun, is not very demanding compared to rock climbing. People tend to be gear whores to stand out. A good climber lets their ability speak for itself.

canyoneering will wreck your footwear. sandstone is much more abrasive than many think.

i've always thought of canyoneering to be analogous to alpine climbing, trying to minimize the amount of gear for weight savings and using specialized gear, when available, to save weight. the specialized gear can also simplify some of the problem solving common in canyons. you can get away w/ using the gear that you have, but the gear sold by companies like imlay are all good ideas and attempts to improve what was previously available. tom jones and his friends all started out using climbing gear.

just like climbing, canyoneering can be demanding, it just depends on what you descend (and the gear that you take with you). there are several upper end canyoneers that are exceptional rock climbers that are whoring the canyon gear because the gear is more useful to them then climbing-specific gear. nat smale is an example of somebody who comes to mind that fits in this category.