Paging Neckdeep, Schwerty... Teton Valley, ID fishing

We are bringing some friends up to Driggs in a couple weeks (June 7 -12) and I want to take my friend out fishing one of the days. The rest is going to be family stuff, Yellowstone, etc.

Anyway, I don't know if we will have a full day or a half day to go out, but what would be some good options on the ID side?

I was thinking of going to my regular haunts on the upper Teton in the valley, but also wondering about the Warm, Henry's or South Fork? We will be wading, and I offered my fly gear to my friend but he may want to use his spinning rod.

Any suggestions? How is runoff right now?

I heard they are starting to see the big bugs hatching on the Henry's.
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Oh, and our other option would be to come over to the J-Hole side.
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

I'm no Neckdeep or Schwerty, but the Snake was fishing well last Sunday but blown out by Tuesday.

But I'm sure there's a few places to fish right now...

and the Links golf course opened up after a year off, a mile or two from the stoplight...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Your best bet would be to give me, (or ND ) a holla a few days ahead.

Forget the S.F. The flows will likely be scaled back to summer flows but even at summer flows it is not a wading river. The Henry's Fork should be fishing well and has plenty of wading options which either one of us can point you to on a map.

We are having a late runoff....The Teton will likely be a mess??? The Snake and the tribs over here = same thing. The stretch of the Snake below Jackson Lake dam might be worth a float. I'll take you out if you'd like...there or the Hank.

The opener in YNP will be a bit messy on m,ost streams. The Firehole is usually the first to come around. Tough to say but I'd think it would be worth a shot. PLan a "family picnic" or hike around it and take your rod. It will be messy on the banks higher up but you should be able to get away with bank fishing w/out waders on the lower river. ***If you do not wear waders, it looks as if you didn't plan on making the lunch/hike into a fishing outting!***

Lakes will be good all over the region. Best to have a boat of some sort or float tube. If you get a full day away, I can take you out on a lake on either side...it will be a drive for you either way.

Another option for a full day excursion that you might be able to pull off some family time and bust away for a half day of fishing would be to take the whole crew to the West Jellystone area for the day. If you had 2 cars and can pull it off, drive to the tailwater section of the Maddy between the lakes. Should be good. Meet the crew after in West. You could drive through the Park or up through Island Park. Either way there are angling opportunities along the way.

Bottom line:
    The Henry's Fork will likely be fishing the best within reasonable driving distance. Take the family on the drive to see Mesa Falls. Fish in the canyon.

Feel free to get in touch.

I'd expect the Teton river to be very high or blown out that week and the Henry's to be relatively high (good fishing but difficult to wade far out from the bank) and a little off color. Runoff isn't a big factor on the Warm. Very little runoff has occurred thus far and the mountains are receiving snow today. I wouldn't expect the Teton valley to be very productive and wade access in the canyon will probably be limited to Spring Hollow. Not too much fishable water in there for a group during runoff, just a few off-current spots for highstick nymphing in 1ft vis.

I'd say the best option, provided you had a boat or tubes, would be Henry's Lake. Other good options will be the HF (RR ranch will be closed till 6/15) or the Warm River. Expect company on the HF anywhere the access is easy and you will see loads of boats on the floatable sections. You can find elbow room if you hike into the Cardiac Canyon above Mesa Falls. Lots of 8-16 inch bows in that section and good stonefly and caddis hatches but the wading is a bit rough during high water and some good zones are overgrown with brush and trees making it tough for a beginning caster. The Warm will be fishable and easy wading but it gets worked hard during the first two weeks of the season. Robinson Creek may be fishable by then but tough wading. Anyhow, all the areas are within 15 minutes of one another so you'll have options. The mosquitos are horrible up there in June (its swampy) so don't let your friends wear short sleeves or shorts.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 05-22-2010 at 12:51 PM.

Hijack warning!! I am heading to Idaho Falls tomorrow for work and am thinking of dragging the boat along for an afternoon and possibly an early Thursday morning float. Any thoughts on if its worth it (in my mind a float on a rivver is always worth it even if I get skunked) Where I should hit? Whats hitting? Etc...
    Thanks!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Hijack warning!! I am heading to Idaho Falls tomorrow for work and am thinking of dragging the boat along for an afternoon and possibly an early Thursday morning float. Any thoughts on if its worth it (in my mind a float on a rivver is always worth it even if I get skunked) Where I should hit? Whats hitting? Etc...
    Thanks!
    Are you coming with the crew or solo? The South Fork is apparently fishing again but the flows are high. Too high to float and stop to Wade if you are solo. Fishing has been underneath the surface. There are other options around the IF area...most are better wading. You might want to bag the boat and hit the the spring creeks on the res. Lake fishing is good.

Are you coming with the crew or solo?
    Sounds like I will be rolling with a mini crew, me and one more person... Was thinking maybe the Henrys?
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I'm really stoked for this trip. I'll give you a call closer to our arrival, Schwerty. Hopefully we can figure out some sort of action plan, and mass quantities of beer will be provided by me.

Above the Fall river you should be good. I was figuring you didn't wanna drive too far from IF. The Box canyon opens this weekend. Short float but you can lap it or make it longer by walking the boat through runs. You will not be alone but it's a pretty stretch of river. Mostly a nymphing game.

I am actually going to cheat and stay in Saint Anthony tomorrow night...

72, sorry for the hijack!

I am actually going to cheat and stay in Saint Anthony tomorrow night...
    That's not cheating.

72, sorry for the hijack!
    Damn you Leee! This thread is all about ME!!!

Have fun up there, mang.

Are there any particular flies I should start thinking about? Maybe tying a few up? I know that we are not sure yet where we will be fishing, but I was thinking it wouldn't hurt to stock up on some SJW's, woolly buggers/leaches, nymphs... anything else?

As a plan B - what about some still water? Henry's Lake or Pallisades, fishing from shore? Other tanks to consider?

OR... what about something like String Lake or Jenny Lake?

72- Ill post about flies etc when i get time. Jenny should be excellent!

Hmm.... I'm kinda thinking of hitting Jenny or String now (after reading reports about the water conditions int he area)...

Henry's has been fishing well but it is getting colored up from rain/runoff; both the Fall and Robinson creek are high and dirty so one can expect off-color water below those confluences. Big bugs are up to the Box canyon but the cold rains have kept the hatch minimal at best. Eats on big dries are few but nymphing has been productive and brought up some real pigs. Had friends catch a 5lb and a 9-10lb brown below Ashton over the last few days. Henry's lake has been HOT! on dark overcast days. The gloom has encouraged the hogs to root around in the shallows for leeches and scuds and bank anglers are doing very well. The one sunny day resulted in slow fishing but sunshine has been a rare sight of late. The Warm is fishing very well and the horrible weather has kept it from getting its usual opening week pounding. Multiple bear sightings along upper Henry's, Warm and Robinson, including a 500 lb grizzly boar on the west side of Harriman st park. Carry spray!

Morels are out in the Swan Valley.

Update from the Jellystone region ----- a muddy fucking mess.

HF is clearing below Warm. Warm river is good to go. It ran muddy for 48 hours and cleared. Robinson creek blew out and mudded the HF but is slowly reducing the amount of color it is pumping into the HF. HF never got too muddy to fish in the Box but the fishing went into the crapper there and at the lakes because the rain dropped water temps. Hatches resuming but water is still high and fishing so-so.