Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

New Montana ski resort?

Found this on the Missoulian. Sounds like a stretch, but we'll see.......

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2...cal/news02.txt

Tom Maclay wants to turn his Lolo Peak property, and national forest land above it, into a large-scale ski resort
    By COLIN McDONALD of the Missoulian

Tom Maclay, right, and Jim Gill pause Friday near the top of Maclay's forested ranch property south of Lolo where he has already cleared ski runs and hopes to one day build a ski resort on Lolo Peak. Gill has been hired by Maclay as chief manager of the project, which would need a lease on the national forest land above for more ski runs.
    Photo by TOM BAUER/Missoulian

LOLO - When Tom Maclay stands on his property overlooking the Bitterroot Valley and the city of Missoula, he can envision a ski resort on the scale of Big Sky or Big Mountain.

From his perch above the haze and roar of Highway 93, he knows where the main lodge and warming huts would be. He has already carved the first runs into the forested slopes of his 3,000-acre ranch.

What he is looking for now is a lease on the national forest land above his property and the support of those who would be affected by the resort.

"It's a question of if the community wants to embrace it," Maclay said. "Do we want to be a recreation-based community?"

The idea of a ski resort on Lolo Peak has been around for decades, but because of lack of snow and access the plan has always been shelved.

Dick King, head of the Missoula Area Economic Development Corp., said the economics of developing a ski area in Missoula would work only if the resort was of a large enough scale to attract out-of-state visitors. This type of a development would require private land surrounding the base of the resort to be available for further development of condominiums and golf courses.

"What Tom brings to the party is the bordering private land next to the property," King said. "Ski runs are not going to make you a lot of money. Š What you need to do is attract people to a resort. They come to golf or ski and while there, they spend a lot of money and some people say, 'Hey, I want to live close to this.' "

Along with the property for the development, Maclay said he also has enough water rights to make snow for the lower slopes. It's one of the perks that come with owning a ranch that has been in operation since 1883.

But Maclay's property does not rise above 6,000 feet. To support a ski area, he needs to be able to lease land in the Lolo and Bitterroot national forests on Carlton Ridge above his property. The ridge rises to more than 7,000 feet and gets enough snow most years to support ski runs without the aid of snow machines.

However, a ski resort is not in the plans of the national forests.

"At this time, it does not fit with either of our forests' plans," said Lolo National Forest spokesperson Sharon Sweeney. "But we are in plan revision."

This spring, the Lolo forest will publish a draft of its new forest management plan which will be open to public comment. The final plan will be revised and published sometime in 2007, Sweeny said.

Maclay's ranch has always depended on diversifying its operation to stay in the black. From running apple orchards to leasing additional lands, the ranch's operation was constantly in flux. Turning the ranch into a resort is just the progression of that diversification, Maclay said.

"The margins just got too thin in an already thin-margin business," he said.

The margins, however, on the business of resort development have attracted the attention of Jim Gill, who was the executive vice president-general manager of Jackson Hole Ski Corp. and most recently a developer of golf courses in the Teton Valley.

Gill said he was hired by Maclay to be the chief manager of the resort and has been helping develop the ski runs on his property. Until Thursday, Gill was commuting from his home in Jackson Hole, Wyo., but has now moved onto the ranch.

Maclay said he would launch a public relations campaign this winter to share more about his vision of what his ranch and surrounding Forest Service lands may become.

While excited about the prospects and challenges of building a destination ski resort in his backyard, Maclay said moving away from the business his family has known for more than a century is sad.

"That's a hard dream to let go of," Maclay said.

That's a far less worse plan than others I've heard lately, namely Mt. Adams "ski resort". Of course, it'd destroy the sanctity of the whole Lolo Pass area, and probably bring in tons of paddlers and people to the Lochsa area, but whatever. Missoula could definitely use the boost, and there certainly is a lack of a destination resort in that area -- Big Mountain is further north, Big Sky is a waaaays away, and there's nothing in Idaho really I guess... Plus the easy access from I-90 would be a benefit, and it could put Missoula not quite on par, but somewhat close to Bozeman, in having a locals area and a "destination" area nearby.

IMO, it probably wouldn't hurt Montana more than they would benefit from it, but that's just my opinion from the surface view.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

From what i hear, the skiing in the area is so-so. Snowbowl is only so big, Lookout Pass and Silver are a loooong ways away (in Idaho actually), and are pretty flat from what I understand.

You've got Big Mtn, what, 3 hours to the north? Bozeman and its hills 3-4 hours away, at least? Disco is, what, 2-3 hours? What's the one down south, straddles Lolo pass at the Idaho/MT border...

anyway BB is right, the area is really short on really good skiing. Plus Missoula's already enough of a nuthouse as it is, I don't think a new resort would really affect the town in a negative way.

New Montana Ski Resort

Most of the traffic would proberbly come from the Montana side, because I don't think there is going to many people that will want to drive the 100 mile section of road from the Idaho side. That 100 mile drive during the winter is terrible.

What's its' viability as a destination resort? Nearest major airport is Missoula, correct?
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

so, it looks like people have been wondering how it would affect the town... I'm really more curious on what impact it would have on the land in an around the area where Mr. Maclay is interesting in building a ski area.

Impact on the land around the resort????

Same as the impact on the rest of the Earth. The undisputed and, unaddressed, cause of which, simply put, is overpopulation. Rampant development will continue until depletion is complete. Borg economics.

Evidently, some real Einstein economists must have figured that as long as the population increases, economies will thrive. That is, until there are no resources to support said populations. So, does it really make a difference in what order lands get developed along the way?

Quote Originally Posted by splat
    So, does it really make a difference in what order lands get developed along the way?

Nope, but fuck, I'm sure gonna get mine before it all goes to shit. Ski it if you got it.

Quote Originally Posted by splat
    Impact on the land around the resort????

Same as the impact on the rest of the Earth. The undisputed and, unaddressed, cause of which, simply put, is overpopulation. Rampant development will continue until depletion is complete. Borg economics.

Evidently, some real Einstein economists must have figured that as long as the population increases, economies will thrive. That is, until there are no resources to support said populations. So, does it really make a difference in what order lands get developed along the way?
    Read Malthus: according to him half of us should have starved to death by now. There are a ton of good reasons to save our natural resources, but concern over long-term population growth isn't one of my big concerns...

So is there going to be strippers on the plaza?

Check this out!

This dude is really starting to roll on this plan for the Bitterroot Resort. I am all for it! Fuck the hippies!

NEW WEBSITE >>> http://www.skibitterrootresort.com/ <<<

And yes, MT, there will be another Moulan Rouge based at the bottom of the mountain, complete with a bucking bronco with a strap on dildo for the wild ladies.
    Last edited by FreakofSnow; 02-01-2005 at 11:20 PM.

That's a hosehead proposal. Wow. more gaper intermediate and beginner skiers. Well. Looks like another mountain is going to get clear cut. It's all about the bottom line. Skiing for the masses.

Booo!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 13
    What's its' viability as a destination resort? Nearest major airport is Missoula, correct?
    Uh...wouldn't the resort basically be IN Missoula?
    I went out there in search of experience. To taste, and to touch, and to feel as much as a man can, before he repents.

depends on where it is. If it's right outside of town, then yes. But if it's further down the valley, either in Hamilton or Stevensville, then it could be a 30min-1 hr drive.

Its actually just past Lolo, so the drive would only be 20 minutes from downtown Missoula.

Pic of the runs that are already cut:

Lolo Peak is the tallest bald peak in the back of the pic.

Realistically, I think they are going to have a very very hard time getting the resort all the way up to Lolo Peak. There will be tons of redtape and many liberal, environmentalists to battle.

Although I highly doubt this resort will open within the 10 years, it would be sweet if it did. If completed to specs, the Bitterroot Resort would have the most VF drop in the lower 48. IMO the best part would be the backcountry access into the Bitterroots from the top. Too bad every person that lives in the Bitterroot Valley is opposed to the ski hill.

Quote Originally Posted by extreeski
    That's a hosehead proposal. Wow. more gaper intermediate and beginner skiers. Well. Looks like another mountain is going to get clear cut. It's all about the bottom line. Skiing for the masses.
    kinda like Tamarack. Not much challenging, just a bunch of intermediate and beginner slopes that could be accessed just as easily by a short hike or a skin.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakofSnow
    There will be tons of redtape and many liberal, environmentalists to battle.
    and a bunch of conservative environmentalists that think it's a bad idea, too

My Montana has an East Infection

Recent article - http://www.newwest.net/index.php/cit...permits/C8/L8/

Bitterroot Resort Applies For Drilling and Wastewater Permits

By Greg Lemon, 1-15-07

The Bitterroot Resort has yet to submit their subdivision application to the Missoula County Office of Planning and Grants, but the size and scope of the expected application is already creating some waves.

County officials don’t know when the developers will have an application ready for submission, said Bill Carey, Missoula County commissioner. “There’s really nothing to begin work on yet,” Carey said.

However, he’s sure that the application will be enormous and will require not only county agencies, but also state agencies to work together on processing all the aspect of the applications.

“I think (agency cooperation) is going to be very important because the magnitude of this thing is going to be huge,” he said. “I think we’ll be breaking new ground with whatever we do.”

The Bitterroot Resort’s subdivision application, just like any other, will go through a myriad of agencies, which will recommend changes and sign-off on mitigation proposals.

Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks will look at the impacts to wildlife and habitat. Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation will look at water rights and possibly dangers from wildfire. The local fire departments, school district, and sheriff offices will all get input.

The county planning board will review the subdivision based on recommendations by the planning department. The board will consider impacts, hold public meeting and eventually send up a recommendation to the Missoula County Board of Commissioners, who have the final say on approval.

Currently the Bitterroot Resort has applied for two applications with the Montana Department of Environmental Quality. One is for drilling test wells and another is for discharging 400,000 gallons of wastewater a day, said DEQ subdivision review director, Steve Kilbreath.

Kilbreath admits the amount of wastewater is enormous, but it’s also on par with a 2,000-unit development, which is about the size officials expect in the Bitterroot Resort application. As a rule of thumb the average dwelling discharges about 200 gallons of wastewater per day.

As a number, 400,000 gallons a day is hard to understand. It’s enough wastewater to cover more than an acre of ground a foot deep. A 2,000-unit development would be bigger than Darby and Stevensville combined.

Tom Maclay, developer of the Bitterroot Resort, has long stated that the wastewater treatment facilities at the resort will be “state of the art.” He has also said he intends to use treated wastewater to irrigate the planned 18-hole golf course.

As far as transportation goes, Maclay has also expressed interest in a mass transit system to service the resort, which could include both busses and trains.

But as of yet, none of these ideas have been clearly outlined for Missoula County to consider and likely won’t be until a subdivision application is submitted.

As Mea Andrews of the Missoulian reported last week transportation to the development, which could generate enough traffic on Highway 93 to require freeway-style road access, is already a big concern for the Montana Department of Transportation.

The DEQ hasn’t seen a full application yet and won’t unless the subdivision is approved. At that point all the drinking water, storm water and wastewater issues will be reviewed, he said.

“Approval is not a foregone conclusion you have to demonstrate to us that you can do what it is you’re asking to do and meet all our standards,” Kilbreath said.

Typically, bigger subdivisions applications go through three to five iterations before they’re approved, he said. Basically if the water isn’t there in the aquifer or can’t be discharged adequately, then something must be done for the DEQ to sign off. That could mean decreasing the size of the development.

Maclay isn’t sure when a subdivision application will be submitted to the Missoula County Office of Planning and Grants.

His team of experts working on the application includes WGM consulting in Missoula. The application is in a refining process, Maclay said.

“There’s no reason to hold ourselves to a timeline,’ he said. “It’s a matter of working through the best process.”

BTW - I'll be catskiing for free w/ these guys next week

Quote Originally Posted by FreakofSnow View Post
    he intends to use treated wastewater to irrigate the planned 18-hole golf course.
    so the golf heads will be literally slogging through shit

i hope it goes through and then a forest fire burns it all down and insurance doesnt cover it! that would be cool!

that'd be a burn to ski from Lolo peak on down...

I love skiing like the next guy, but can't we leave some shit alone? Would be much better IMO without a golf course, a resort, and all the fucking sprawl that comes with all that shit. All in the name of the almighty $$$$$. Leave our shit alone IMO!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL