Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 112
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,606







  2. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hugh's Mom's House
    Posts
    11,832
    FKNA. Congrats on the long awaited return trip west.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    5,247
    RS- Thanks- I'd prefer Montana and other out of the way locations. However, I'm pretty stoked on the job and the opportunities it'll present. I'll be the physiologist working with everyone from the Colorado Avalanche and the Garmin Cycling team to Norma the 92 year old heart patient. I'll get a chance to work on publishing my master's research on cycling and other research projects. More than anything I'll be able to pay my bills and won't be selling all my bikes and skis to afford rent. I think that'll feel nice too.

    JW- Thanks for the info. I figured chill = 420. Apparently I'm not a laid back guy by Boulder standards...

    Anyone have thoughts on the hassle of buying a trailer and selling when I get there vs. just going with a uhaul job?

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Upland, CA
    Posts
    5,400
    I believe I have a pair of Volkl Sanouks if you need an AT rig...no love in Hawai'i

    congrats buddy.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,624
    Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    I'll be the physiologist working with everyone from the Colorado Avalanche and the Garmin Cycling team to Norma the 92 year old heart patient. I'll get a chance to work on publishing my master's research on cycling and other research projects. More than anything I'll be able to pay my bills and won't be selling all my bikes and skis to afford rent. I think that'll feel nice too.
    That sounds awesome. congrats
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    FLX
    Posts
    1,621
    Quote Originally Posted by gorms View Post
    North boulders a real pain in the ass if you want to ski-
    quoted for truth

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The in-between
    Posts
    949
    I've had some dealings with Boulder Sports Med in the past and you are going to be working for a top notch organization. Their facility (last time I saw it) is on par with at least two of our Olympic Training Centers (SD & Lake Placid to be precise). Congrats and good luck. You can pretty much live almost anywhere in Boulder and be close to stuff. Table Mesa area isn't bad, Mapleton, even out towards Louisville can have some advantages. Stay away from the campus area and The Hill. During school it's a mess. Further up the hill towards Flagstaff gets quieter, but also expensive. Have fun. Boulder has a unique culture that many do not understand and therefore ridicule.

    If you see Dan Hawkins, tell him to get a fucking quarterback already.
    Shut your eyes and think of somewhere. Somewhere cold and caked with snow.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    889
    I live about 3 blocks from the Mapleton Center. It is a great place and I have really been helped by physical therapists there.

    I don't agree with people saying North Boulder is a pain for skiing. At the time in the morning when you leave to ski I-70 resorts, there is no traffic and it takes about 10 painless minutes to get across town. No big deal.
    I mostly ski either in the Indian Peaks, Rocky Mountain National Park, or at Eldora. For those nearby backcountry destinations North Boulder is actually closer, plus you can walk to the bus to Eldora, which can be a good starting point for sidecountry/backcountry days.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,681
    Albeit, I haven't lived in Boulder for close to 10 years, but living way up on the hill near Chautauqua was an amazing relief for me. I could ride and solo flatirons out of my backyard, be close enough to get anywhere, and there's that nice Victorian neighbor atmosphere. Something to think about.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    13,935
    How about you come rent my house (15 min east of Boulder) and I'll move into town? Sound good?

  11. #36
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,926
    Boulder Checklist:

    [ ] Labrador Retriever
    [ ] Subaru Outback or Forester
    [ ] $6000 Road bike
    [ ] Smokes pot

    If you do not meet the above requirements, we are sorry to say your application to live in Boulder, Colorado is declined.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,337
    Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    You won't be able to ride your bike to work if you live up Shanahan Ridge and driving through Boulder to go ski may be considered "a real pain in the ass" it's probably only going to add 10 minutes either way. You will however be able to pose with Danno at the Southern Sun, bring your Patagucci and make sure to take up tele skiing.
    damn, I made it into the thread without even being in the thread!

    Almost any place in Boulder is bikable to work for you. I work a 5-10 minute walk from your new gig, and live 3+ miles away in SE Boulder, and my commute is all bike path on my cruiser. So you should be good.

    But given the dog situation, sounds like you might like to be closer, so anything around Mapleton (closest) or downtown or Ideal Market area is best. I agree with the sentiment that not everything on the Hill is bad.

    FWIW, your job is basically at the trailhead for Mt Sanitas, a very popular hike, dogs everywhere on that one. I often run up it one or 2 days a week during work. The best hiking trails, however, are south of that, basically south of Baseline.

    Hard to type more specifics, but PM me if you have any questions. We'll teach you the secret handshake when you get here.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    On the back of the worm
    Posts
    592
    I live in South Boulder near the Southern Sun. It's actually a great location. Dog pond and 3 mile trail loop steps away. Right on Bus line. Bike paths leading into town. Closer to Marshall Mesa & Eldo Canyon, close to I-70 and 36. Bonus about South Boulder is proximixty to the Southern Sun and that you can leave town very quickly to Ski and avoid traffic (until you hit I-70 that is).

    It depends on what you want. My neighborhood is very quiet and It's nice being able to avoid the college shitshow that is 28th/broadway etc...

    PM if you want more info.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    5,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero View Post
    Boulder Checklist:

    [ ] Labrador Retriever
    [ ] Subaru Outback or Forester
    [ ] $6000 Road bike
    [ ] Smokes pot

    If you do not meet the above requirements, we are sorry to say your application to live in Boulder, Colorado is declined.
    SO close:
    Border Collie
    '97 Jeep grand cherokee
    $4000 road bike
    Don't smoke pot (or drink, but you can look in gimp central for info on that one)

    Danno- I'd hit up some runs with you over lunch. We'll see how much I'm dragging back at altitude.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,337
    I should qualify that "running" up Sanitas is probably a misnomer. It's mostly speed hiking up it and running down it. It's a 3+ miles RT, 1200' elevation gain stairmaster.

    For all of the cracks, Boulder is a pretty sweet place to live. Better from-town hiking than just about any town there is (and legal off-leash for the pooch in many spots!), awesome climbing and road biking (so they say, I don't do either), and while it isn't the best town for mt biking and skiing, it's still fairly good. And tons of great restaurants.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  16. #41
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Eagle County
    Posts
    12,261
    pffft...hippy
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

  17. #42
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Dramarado
    Posts
    1,732
    I would second the vote for finding something near Ideal Market, its a great neighborhood and walking distance to your work and Sanitas. Get an OSMP tag so your dog can run off leash in Open Space.

    Your future coworkers are great people, did my PT there after knee surgery twice.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Market St. Station
    Posts
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    SO close:
    Border Collie
    '97 Jeep grand cherokee
    $4000 road bike
    Don't smoke pot (or drink, but you can look in gimp central for info on that one)

    Danno- I'd hit up some runs with you over lunch. We'll see how much I'm dragging back at altitude.


    Louisville might fit you better then....
    let your tracks be lost in the dark and snow

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    408
    I think chill as slang has evolved. It use to mean relaxed or easy-going. Now, especially in the context of an ad, it means "When we do inconsiderate crap to you, you aren't allowed to complain. We warned you, now chill."

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Crested Butte, CO
    Posts
    739
    congrats on the job...

    Boulder is a great place to live, best place to live in the front range hands down.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    857
    boulders a good place, like it

    but as the Boulder High football coach said to us players this week "watch out for that hippy-dippy bullshit"

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Bavaria
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I should qualify that "running" up Sanitas is probably a misnomer. It's mostly speed hiking up it and running down it. It's a 3+ miles RT, 1200' elevation gain stairmaster.

    For all of the cracks, Boulder is a pretty sweet place to live. Better from-town hiking than just about any town there is (and legal off-leash for the pooch in many spots!), awesome climbing and road biking (so they say, I don't do either), and while it isn't the best town for mt biking and skiing, it's still fairly good. And tons of great restaurants.
    yeah and as expensive as hell too, so hopefully your new job makes you a boatload - I thought Cali was expensive...

    Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    I would second the vote for finding something near Ideal Market, its a great neighborhood and walking distance to your work and Sanitas. Get an OSMP tag so your dog can run off leash in Open Space.

    Your future coworkers are great people, did my PT there after knee surgery twice.
    just don't become another "leave the dog shit on the side of the trail" type - really annoying seeing all the bags of poop while everyone praises recycle/keep it clean/we are so good...
    anyways enjoy it Boulder does have a lot to offer I find it has way too much traffic for my taste but if you can commute by bike absolutely do so
    chill
    that's not bad...
    www.nosiesta.com
    IFMGA Ski & Mountain Guide

  23. #48
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Dramarado
    Posts
    1,732
    Quote Originally Posted by blondin View Post
    just don't become another "leave the dog shit on the side of the trail" type - really annoying seeing all the bags of poop while everyone praises recycle/keep it clean/we are so good...
    Quoted for truth, lol.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Republic of Boulder
    Posts
    57
    [QUOTE=gorms;2870476]If i could live anywhere in boulder (again) it would be shananhan ridge--

    i second that, having lived there for over 10 years, great views, being south gets you a bit closer to the mtns. decent trail access, plenty of MTB access. I sure do miss it.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,337
    Quote Originally Posted by blondin View Post
    yeah and as expensive as hell too, so hopefully your new job makes you a boatload - I thought Cali was expensive...


    just don't become another "leave the dog shit on the side of the trail" type - really annoying seeing all the bags of poop while everyone praises recycle/keep it clean/we are so good...
    anyways enjoy it Boulder does have a lot to offer I find it has way too much traffic for my taste but if you can commute by bike absolutely do so
    chill
    Everything is relative. I don't find Boulder THAT expensive, it's more than some and less than others. And traffic is also relative, it bugs me sometimes, but it's not as bad as some places.

    As for dog poop, I hear you. I admit that I am one who leaves it on the side (usually try to somewhat hide it), but ALWAYS pick it up on my way down, and often do "poop penance" and pick up other bags. Because I have often passed way more bags on my way up than there are dogs coming down. I wonder if some people think there's a dog poop clean up service?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •