Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Life in Boulder?

I guess I'm going to find out soon enough.

Just accepted a great job in Boulder.
    Now I need to figure out the logistics of it all.

Anyone have leads on Apartments? Suggestions on where to live?

I'd really like to live somewhere close by thats bikable to work, but doesn't kill the rent money.

I may sublet through the summer so that I can check out places in person.

Looking forward to getting back west. 2 years on the east coast is 2 years too many.
    Last edited by XtrPickels; 03-07-2011 at 10:35 PM.

Id find a place as far away from the college as you can, since rent is determined by how much money these kids parents will pay to send them to that school, which is alot. i thouroghly enjoyed my week in boulder.

Watch out for the begging hippies at Pearl St Mall...

Oh yeah and i hope you like watching grass grow..and college kids thats basically boulder.

I'd suggest living as close to Pearl Street as possible, preferably on the north side so you're a little farther from the college. That way you're close to the bars and restaurants, can walk (or bike) to work, and the neighborhood is pretty sweet. Anything around Pine and 18th is great, but then there are also some great places closer to where you'll be working.

I lived on Pearl and 22nd for a year in a one-room apt that was about 700 sq ft and paid $800 (I think).... you can probably figure between that and $1,000 for a rule of thumb.

There is some cool stuff up near Ideal Market for rent usually... but I haven't been down there in almost a year.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

If i could live anywhere in boulder (again) it would be shananhan ridge--
    quiet, best access to trails around, everyone has a dog, and its boulder so the whole city is accessible by bike

North boulders a real pain in the ass if you want to ski-
    let your tracks be lost in the dark and snow

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'd suggest living as close to Pearl Street as possible, preferably on the north side so you're a little farther from the college. That way you're close to the bars and restaurants, can walk (or bike) to work, and the neighborhood is pretty sweet. Anything around Pine and 18th is great, but then there are also some great places closer to where you'll be working.

I lived on Pearl and 22nd for a year in a one-room apt that was about 700 sq ft and paid $800 (I think).... you can probably figure between that and $1,000 for a rule of thumb.
    I lived on Pine...cant remember the exact address but it was like exactly one block from the house they filmed for the outside of the house for "mork and mindy"

I've seen a few things on CL near "ideal market" but it didn't mean much to me. Thanks for the leads on avoiding campus. At first I thought that would be ok because its close to work.

Keep 'em coming

Boulder's pretty nice. Congratulations on the job. Is that through CU? That's a good department; I've had positive experiences.

It's not usually hard to find an apartment in Boulder, though leases tend to start in August. There are plenty of summer subleases. Living on University Hill is actually okay in the summer, when it's not overrun by drunken frat boys. One-bedroom apartments start at around $750 just about anywhere in town. It turns out there are a lot of cheap places near campus (by local standards -- less than Manhattan, more than Manhattan, KS), but they are hellholes.

You can bike from almost anywhere in city limits within half an hour, but I'd ideally look for something near Broadway, regardless of distance, because the Skip bus is convenient for those afternoons it's hailing or when the wind is blowing at 70 mph; bus service on the east side of town is comparatively lousy, especially to the area where you'll be working. Also, it's nice to be able to hike in the foothills from your front door.

For what it's worth, getting from north Boulder to Table Mesa and Broadway adds about ten or fifteen annoying minutes to your ski commute, mostly spent waiting at stoplights.

p.s. Ideal Market would be walking distance to work.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    There is some cool stuff up near Ideal Market for rent usually... but I haven't been down there in almost a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by gorms View Post
    If i could live anywhere in boulder (again) it would be shananhan ridge--
    quiet, best access to trails around, everyone has a dog, and its boulder so the whole city is accessible by bike

North boulders a real pain in the ass if you want to ski-
    You won't be able to ride your bike to work if you live up Shanahan Ridge and driving through Boulder to go ski may be considered "a real pain in the ass" it's probably only going to add 10 minutes either way. You will however be able to pose with Danno at the Southern Sun, bring your Patagucci and make sure to take up tele skiing.

I lived where grskier is talking about for 2 years and I loved it. You can walk to Pearl St. but it's removed from the CU students. It provides easy access to your job and Mt. Sanitas where I have seen more hot women hiking than I care to comment on. There are a couple places to eat and Ideal Market for grocery shopping.

Southern Sun rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    I've seen a few things on CL near "ideal market" but it didn't mean much to me. Thanks for the leads on avoiding campus. At first I thought that would be ok because its close to work.

Keep 'em coming
    West side of Broadway would be my preference in the "Ideal Market" area. Avoid Grape Ave. unless you want high tension power lines outside your window. From about Pearl St. to about Iris.

Ideal Market and Vics are great......

........If you want to park your $3k road bike for a morning and sip a latte in your chamois. Dont forget a fresh shave on your legs though!
    let your tracks be lost in the dark and snow

Quote Originally Posted by gorms View Post
    Ideal Market and Vics are great......

........If you want to park your $3k road bike for a morning and sip a latte in your chamois. Dont forget a fresh shave on your legs though!
    This is Boulder what the fuck do you think we're all here for.

Nothing helpful to add about boulder but wanted to say congrats on the new job and locale change! You must be psyched to get out of placid! think- no more black flies :P

good on ya, R! cheers

All the advice here is good so far, but I wouldn't rule out the Hill if you are west of 9th st. I lived at 6th and University for a couple years, and the college influence is minimal if you are that far west. I would say north of pearl, south of Alpine, west of Folsom/28th to block off the ideal area to live. West Pearl neighborhood would be pretty sweet, but it's one of the more expensive places to rent.

edit to change east of Folsom to west of Folsom. whoops.
    Last edited by jon turner; 05-20-2010 at 12:23 PM.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

Thanks Court. As you know this has been a long time coming.

The position is through Boulder Community Hospital. The sports science department has been on my radar since I gave a presentation at the '06 Serotta cycling science symposium in denver. One of their guys came up and talked with me for a bit. I've been checking them out regularly and something popped up. Moved quickly. I'm excited.

The one thing that I worry about is my Border collie. He's used to coming to work with me everyday (at the hospital I currently work at) and I hope he makes the transition well. I'm anticipating that he's going to need to stay home and I hope he takes it okay mentally. Rescued Border Collies can become "attached" to say the least.

My road bike is well north of 3k, so I guess I'll fit in. I prefer arcteryx to patagucci though. Its funny, my possessions are all ski, bike, learning and cooking related. Looking around, I have no pictures, knicknacks or furniture that is "mine". Should make for an easy move.

It sounds like this Ideal market area is more and more ideal. I like the close to work and an easy walk to pearl street. I'll get a bus pass through the hospital. I really dislike needing to get in a car to go to work. I've avoided it for the past 6 years, so I'd like to continue that quality of life.

Thanks for the info. Obviously I'd like to meet up with whoever when I get there.

also- whats the deal with all craigslist ad's using the word "Chill"
    Is this like NewEngland's "Wicked" catch phrase? Code for something?

If you're more concerned about your dog, you should look closer to where you work so you can potentially go home at lunch for a few minutes.... pretty much the entire neighborhood near Boulder Community is nice so there's nothing to worry about when looking online (except the previous mention of Grape Ave).

Search the listings for Mapleton- although that's the street name, it's the name of the neighborhood in that area.... very nice stuff in there.

Oh, and if you decide to trade your road bike in for a mountain bike, give me a shout and I'll show you around the trails in the area.

"Chill" means "smokes pot."

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Watch out for the begging hippies at Pearl St Mall...

Oh yeah and i hope you like watching grass grow..and college kids thats basically boulder.
    Spoken like a empirically knowledgeable veteran. For decades the clouds of intoxicating patchouli have blocked any attempts to ski, hike, bike, kayak, climb, or accomplish any task other than marinade in one's self imposed antipathy & support various vegan & PETA causes .

Fortunately the tell all ABC afterschool special debuts next Tuesday.
    Calmer than you dude

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    If you're more concerned about your dog, you should look closer to where you work so you can potentially go home at lunch for a few minutes.... pretty much the entire neighborhood near Boulder Community is nice so there's nothing to worry about when looking online (except the previous mention of Grape Ave).

Search the listings for Mapleton- although that's the street name, it's the name of the neighborhood in that area.... very nice stuff in there.

Oh, and if you decide to trade your road bike in for a mountain bike, give me a shout and I'll show you around the trails in the area.
    excellent
    I let my mountain bike go last year for cheap to pay some bills. Now that I'll have a decent job and some perks I hope to get back on the trails sooner rather than later.

^^that was intense..

You're going to have no trouble at all staying out of the car during your commute.. Rent is quite a bit cheaper in North Boulder, like extreme north, where Broadway meets 36. It's a harmonious blend of upscale restaurants, medical marijuana dispensaries, storage facilities and strip clubs..and fairly nice new homes/apartments. There is also an exuberant amount of spandex in the area..but sometimes it's cool to see the top-brass spandex, like the Garmin-Slipstream riders. Amante is where they congregate.

Be sure to buy some body armor for your road riding... because bikers are apparently worth double points in Boulder.

there are some sweet apts at 2nd & pearl (E. of the watershed school that are reasonably priced and as close to the canyon up to the mountains as possible. plus its only like 10 blocks down to central Pearl street zone and 7 blocks to Mapleton Med Centre

And yeah, very college town, but that comes with its perks too, right?