Moving to SLC - Any rentals open?

As the title states, my girlfriend and I are picking up our belongings and heading to SLC in early August. The two of us have been applying all over the place and still have not found jobs. We plan on applying at a retail store or one of the resorts while continuing to pursue professional career opportunities.

We have been exploring the midvale / cottonwood / sandy area. Neither of us are of the Mormon faith, nor do we plan on joining (hopefully not stepping on anyone's toes). We are mainly wanting to move to the area because she is originally from Oregon and I have been wanting to move out West since I first visited Utah 15 years ago. We figure the skiing is 20-30 minute drive up LCC or BCC and the all of the people we have met on past trips are solid. Why not give it a shot? We'll most likely get passes to the bird if we can figure it in as affordable. We are looking for a 1 bedroom (will obviously take a 2 bedroom if someone is trying to rent one at a 1 bedroom rate). She will have her 60 pounds 4 year old black lab with her. He's house trained, etc. We don't need something spectacular. Decent kitchen, stellar insulation to keep the gas bill down, and possibly covered parking (crossing fingers).

If no one has anything they are looking to rent, are there any current renters that have places that they recommend over others? We are heading to Vegas July 4th weekend and plan on renting a car and heading up to SLC for the week following. This way we can take a look at a few different rental properties and see what's available. The internet search/preview sites only provide so much.

While we are on the topic of SLC, any thoughts on public transportation? I'm thinking a decent road bike would be an idea for late spring into summer. Just wondering about the TRAXX system and the public buses for transportation to/from SLC and to/from LCC/BCC. I'm not a tree hugger by any means. I'm just thinking that any sort of money saved on a bus ride, etc. will help us with our low budget lifestyle.

My last box of Ramen noodles expired on my college graduation day. I said to myself, "man it'll be nice not to live on this stuff anymore." Here I am a year later and it looks like I'm heading right back to eating it on a daily basis.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    check out the "hook up" section of the forum. tons of stuff for SLC

I've got a place for your girlfriend at my house, rent-free depending on how things work out.

No room for you, maybe the lab though.

Bad Parvo, bad!

Throw you a bone: Utah Transit Authority

are you into slacklining? If so I know the perfect place.

I know a guy with a couple rentals in Cottonwood, roommate type situations, houses are chill, close to skiing, PM if you'd like me to inquire.

You can ride the bus easily from basically anywhere in the millcreek, cottonwood, or sandy areas. Not so much from downtown, the Avenues, Sugarhouse/hood.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    BAHAHAHA!!!
    "I just looked down to see if I was wearing my seatbelt, and I'm sitting at my desk in my room."
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/owencaprell/

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    I've got a place for your girlfriend at my house, rent-free depending on how things work out.

No room for you, maybe the lab though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Bad Parvo, bad!

Throw you a bone: Utah Transit Authority
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    I should've known I would get some goofy response. I've got to admit it all made me laugh. Buzzworthy, I have looked around on there and things seems like they could run smoothly. I was just looking for personal experience I guess. I'll continue looking around and see what the "hook up" thread has to offer. If anyone is local (SLC) and free the week after july 4th, let me know and maybe a few of us can meet up and grab a beer or 6 or a 12 pack.

I forgot the obscene charges for rental cars for people under the age of 25. We happen to be 24. Does anyone happen to have an extra car laying around that we could borrow for a few days? We would've obviously pay some sort of daily rate.

I have a car your girlfriend can borrow.
    And by "car", I mean "penis".
    Any by "borrow", I mean "blow".

You will, of course, still be charged a daily rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    I have a car your girlfriend can borrow.
    And by "car", I mean "penis".
    Any by "borrow", I mean "blow".

You will, of course, still be charged a daily rate.
    how much did you end up getting? I'm not interested in "borrowing" your "car" but rather am trying to figure how much to charge someone to "borrow my car"

Ended up finding a place tucked back in Cottonwood Heights. About 5 minutes form the mouth of LCC. Making the move 8/1. Should be a solid time... hopefully we can find jobs.