Fishpond tech-packs ??

Anyone experienced Fishpond tech-packs
    "Wasatch" "Wildhorse" "Gore-Range" "Open-Range"
    how do they work? Anyone selling? I WTB maybe? Please share stories.....
    I don't know anyone who has used these packs
    "Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is" -Charles DeMar
    Never argue with an idiot..They always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

the shooting star, high country and double haul look really nice depending on how much and what type of stuff you are carrying. They make pretty good stuff. I am not a big fan of vest, which is why I am steering more toward the back pack style stuff.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I had a Wasatch, but I went back to my old vest. I like having more stuff in front (and lower) than in back. The net would hang up on the backpack occasionally as well. The stuff is well made, but not for me.

I've had the Wildhorse for just over a year now, and LOVE IT. The only problem is that it has so much room I find myself taking more gear then I need for most days. Other than that it fits great once you get it adjusted, easy to organize everything, and built like a tank. Two of my buddies have the same pack, and have had no issues either. And no we don't all have the same color.
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

I've been using the Waterdance Guide pack this year. It's just a lumbar pack, but carries everything I need, couple flyboxes, tippet spools & whatnot, plus room for lunch & a beer, camera, light rain jacket. Well made, comfy...would give it two thumbs up.

Jer, is the Wasatch in your gear closet still?
    Never argue with an idiot..They always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I absolutely love my Double Haul; enough room for tackle for good days outing, some food, maybe a rain jacket, and a bladder of water. And it's not so bulky like alot of fishing packs I've seen. Infact, over the weekend I spotted a guy that looked like he had a tackle box strapped to his chest. WTF? Beer unfortunately would not stay cold in the Double Haul.

I am most definately not a vest guy. Makes think of Walter Sobchak goes fishing.

Fishpond has excellent customer service as well; I just warrantied a five year old pack due to a busted zipper (my fault and told em so) and they still sent me a brand new one.

honestly they are nice but way overdone and "Vajazzled" for my likes

they also are pretty heavy empty, and, for me, more pockets means I'll bring more crap I probably don't need

-I don't like having much gear in front (so no vests). I just use the pockets in my waders and a little Salomon daypack filled with beers+ (Kodiak has a perfect ambient beer drinking air temperature)

I'm currently using a William Joseph Equinox sling pack and I like it so far - I just bought it over the winter.

"Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty View Post
    I'm currently using a William Joseph Equinox sling pack and I like it so far - I just bought it over the winter.

where do you put your beer?

Quote Originally Posted by yonskion View Post
    Jer, is the Wasatch in your gear closet still?
    Why yes I do.

Quote Originally Posted by yonskion View Post
    where do you put your beer?
    I make my caddy carry it.
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

I had a Fishpond day pack, (small backpack - chest pack), for a couple seasons a handful of years ago and didn't like it. It sure did look purdy but that was about it. I don;t remember the name but the backpack part was standard and was adequate. The chest pack was overdone. Too much shit going on. Not enough of what i needed. I did, however, love that the back was detachable.

The double haul is real nice. I couldn't get over the annoyance of a chest-pack though.

I also spent some time with the Open Range. The fit felt real good, but I didn't like the use of space. I also thought it felt a lot like a chest-pack with the hard pockets sticking out in front.

If you think a chest-pack would work for you, I'd spend some time with the double-haul.

The fishpond stuff wasn't for me, but it was nice enough that it took me a few hours to figure that out. I ended up with a Patagonia Hip/Chest pack, which I'm loving for its simplicity. I do miss having a camelback on the water, however.

Also, Fishpond if you're listening, loose the fold down fly benches.
    BEWARE OF FEMALE SPIES

Jeremy check your PM's

I used to own the Fishpond Shooting Star.

It was way too big in front. It stuck out too far and was quite clumsy. It was heavy and over-engineered.

There are much better designs out there I think. My current favorites are the Patagonia vest pack, and the LLB Rapid River vest pack.

Just picked up the WJ Confluence pack. I haven't had it on the river yet, but I like how high it sits, and it can cinch down for a snug fit. It doesn't hold as much stuff as the standard chest/backpack combos, but I think that will be a good thing, as I always drag way more than I need around with me.

I've never used a chest pack, but am looking at a cheap White River one from Bass Pro to try. I see many of you don't like the chest pack. It seems like it'd be handy. What are the drawbacks? Just that it gets in the way?

I've been looking at the double haul as a backcountry day hiking pack. Does the front come off and attach to the back so you don't sweat your tits off while hiking?

Not sure if it attaches to the back or not, but I am sure you could rig something up. It does come off for sure.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    I've never used a chest pack, but am looking at a cheap White River one from Bass Pro to try. I see many of you don't like the chest pack. It seems like it'd be handy. What are the drawbacks? Just that it gets in the way?
    I picked up a cloudveil hip/shoulder pack from Levelnine a couple weeks ago and like it so far...you might check out their chest pack. the price is definitely right
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

Quote Originally Posted by khakis View Post
    I picked up a cloudveil hip/shoulder pack from Levelnine a couple weeks ago and like it so far...you might check out their chest pack. the price is definitely right
    I didn't see the hip shoulder pack on Level Nine. Must be sold out.

For the chest pack, think I'll check out this one. $7 cheaper than Bass Pro.

EDIT:
    Oh, wait. Found it. Hmmmm.... hip/shoulder (w/ beer holder) vs. chest. Hmmm....
    Last edited by GiBo; 08-18-2010 at 02:43 PM.

Got the chest pack above and used it for the first time yesterday- loved it. For me it did not get in the way at all. Being able to open the pack and have a work surface with all my tools and flies right there was awesome.

Sure is starting to feel like fall up there...