Poor-mans Lobster World Record

One of the Konrad brothers tagged another world record on Diefenbaker Lake. Fucking crazy. Imagine that guy wrapping around your arm (which they often do when you grab one).

Front Range Anglers write up on it.
    http://www.frontrangeanglers.info/ne...theburbot.html
    the kids are all wasted on pot listening to heavy metal

Holy fuck thats a burbot
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

That is one large, foul-assed, garbage fish right there..

Quote Originally Posted by stompinlines View Post
    That is one large, foul-assed, garbage fish right there..
    Au contraire, mon frere. That may look like a slimy ol' flathead catfish but the only freshwater species of cod, the burbot or, known in the midwest as eelpout, is a prize of a catch. It is very closely related to the common ling cod. They are so well regarded as a food fish that they got fished out of many midwestern lakes for the meat and a giant liver full of cod oil 3 to 4 times richer in vitamins than saltwater cods. The liver made burbot a commercial fishery target in the days before modern vitamins. Like monkfish, the meat is said to have a "lobster-like" flavor, hence the shared nickname. It is a slow reproducer, so over harvest will cause the population to crash and it takes decades to restore.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 05-15-2010 at 12:01 PM.

Yes.
    And next winter, when I'm icefishing on the Mississippi,
    I will still leave a half dozen of those bastard dogfish on the ice.

Wow. You actually admit to wastage of a game fish species?
    Last edited by neckdeep; 05-15-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stompinlines View Post
    Yes.
    And next winter, when I'm icefishing on the Mississippi,
    I will still leave a half dozen of those bastard dogfish on the ice.
    Good call Capt. Planet, they're such a nuisance, and you can help make room for the Asian carp.

Edit - Back to the point, that is one fucking huge burbot...

Sorry fellas.
    I confused the dog fish I caught with the burbot.

That's good to hear. My jaw kinda dropped when you wrote you liked to wastage a game fish that is a species of concern in many places. Especially a fish that is long lived and a slow reproducer.

Deadmonton raises a valid point. The dogfish or, properly called a bowfin, is a powerful predator and should be left in your waters. You will need them to control populations of rough fish and the asian carp is a good example. Because they can fight hard, I've read some anglers regard bowfin as a worthy sportfishing target (much like the big carp or gar species) even though unworthy as a food species. Killing off native predator species is a bad idea, in general, because they usually operate as a population check on something else. For example, for decades, east coasters have been killing sharks for fun and spite. Now that shark populations are declining, one of their favorite prey, the rays, are exploding in population and starting to overeat their favorite food, shellfish. This undercuts the forage base of bottom fish and its the same shellfish we need to feed ourselves and to put commercial fishermen to work.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 05-16-2010 at 02:25 PM.

I'm stoked even when I catch a whitefish.
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Quote Originally Posted by hartzejr View Post
    One of the Konrad brothers tagged another world record on Diefenbaker Lake. Fucking crazy. Imagine that guy wrapping around your arm (which they often do when you grab one).

Front Range Anglers write up on it.
    http://www.frontrangeanglers.info/ne...theburbot.html
    Glad that one of the Konrads has a LEGITE world record now. Their records to date have been for triploids that escaped from a cement pool. They then catch these oversized freaks that were just sitting in a cement pool all day on 4 pound test, because catching a planter on 2 or 4 pound test is so extreme.

They do kind of look like Dogfish. I caught a dogfish when I was real young in Minnesota off the dock at my grandparents place. I was slaying sunnies all day and got a good surprise when that dogfish nailed my lure! But Grandpa considered them trash fish as well and buried it in the garden.

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty View Post
    I'm stoked even when I catch a whitefish.
    Just wait..they'll be up in Pinedale 'afore long.
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations

bro ! very good job. you done the nice...
    DainikBhaskar.tv -Bhaskar TV and Bhaskar news source. Get Bhaskar news online with just visit here.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by hartzejr View Post
    They do kind of look like Dogfish. I caught a dogfish
    Really?

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Really.

Different "dogfish" - Bowfin

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDuperGaperWithaCherryOnTop View Post
    Their records to date have been for triploids that escaped from a cement pool. They then catch these oversized freaks that were just sitting in a cement pool all day on 4 pound test, because catching a planter on 2 or 4 pound test is so extreme.
    Huh? What's the controversy behind these guy's world-record fish? And what's so special about Lake Diefenbaker that they can three record-sized fish out in that short a time?

Sorry for my fishing jongishness, but I don't spend a lot of time on the fishing forum.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    Huh? What's the controversy behind these guy's world-record fish? And what's so special about Lake Diefenbaker that they can three record-sized fish out in that short a time?

Sorry for my fishing jongishness, but I don't spend a lot of time on the fishing forum.
    The controversy is that they are catching put fish, and the record for tippet strength is for put fish. So if someone catches a wild 40 pound steelhead on 4 pound tippet, it wont be a record because these guys caught a bigger fish that was raised in a swimming pool (and escaped), and is as big as it is because it is a triploid, meaning that all its nutrition goes to size and not reproduction.

I would really have no problem if the IGFA gave them a record for hatchery fish.

The lake is special because there was a fish farm right next to it with triploid trout, and they escaped into the lake. Triploids cant reproduce, so the nutrition that would go to reproduction goes to making them bigger. They are
    a) freak fish
    b) not raised in the wild, they just sat in a pond and were fed by humans.

Since they spent their life just sitting in a cement pond, their muscles are flab, as you probably know if you caught a trout that was just planted. These brothers profit from triploid fish being accidentally released into the lake.

Now the IGFA line classes will be shit because the brothers have records from fish that
    a) were raised just sitting in cement ponds getting fed by humans
    b) are not natural, are triploid which means than no energy goes to reproduction, everything goes to growth, which doesnt exist for "natural" fish.

That is one huge triploid.