Hatch Reels - Review

Continuing on the theme of gear reviews...

I've been a big fan of this company from their start. As some of you may know, they make putters, (for golf), also. Their putters have become one of the most sought after clubs in the game. Granted they don't do shit for me but I am a terrible putter. But, just by looking at one of these putters you can tell they are machined well. The reels...the same. Don't quote me but I think Hatch is around 4 years old, maybe 5??? As it goes with many companies, it took them a couple tries to iron out the kinks. Well...they got it!

These reels are simply the best shit going! The drag system is the best I've seen and fished. They are in the range of Hardy as far as the price goes but honestly, I think they are far better. I love Hardy reels...Abel as well for the Salt, large warm water and salmon/stealhead. Hatch has now, IMHO, exceeded both and not just beat 'em by a run but killed them. These things are simply sexy tools in all aspects a reel can be sexy. They are NOT line holders. So, if that's what you're after don't bother playing with one. The line wts run from about 4-12 with 5 reels, (I think), to choose from. Mid arbor and large arbor are available in at least 4 of the 5...maybe all???

I fished the "5". 6wt floating line on it. As mant trout guys do, I use my fingers as the main drag a lot of the time but this reel changed that. It is that smooth! You want every fish on it. Unfortunately, we shouldn't be playing trout like that much but if one deserves to be on the reel, this is the one I would want.

They are pricey! I wouldn't bother with the smallest. The drag is still revolutionary but rarely do you need it on a mall reel. There are other reels of decent quality with conical, cork drags which do the trick for much less. the 5-12 = $$$! I will be fishing the "7" and the "9" soon and will report back.

If you have the cash and need to sport for one of these, (especially if you fish the salt a lot), do it! I haven't checked but I think they retail fo a little less than top Hardy's and seem better. Getting into the pluses of the frag would take too long. Just go see them. You will not be disappointed.

I met these guys at the fly fishing show in Somerset, NJ earlier this year and even snagged one of these from their booth:

I was very impressed with the reels. I believe the drag is sealed and comprised of stacked Rulon discs, which is a plastic with impressive heat resistance charactersitics and self lubricating...however that happens. I've heard of Rulon being used in one other reel, made by Colton, at a much cheaper price range, but also much heavier.

The one I fondled at the show was the 7+ and I really thought at the time, when I had the money, that it would be my next full-time saltwater reel.

However, I ended up going with a Daniellson 6Nine and so far I loooove it.
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Daniellson makes a great reel!

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Daniellson makes a great reel!
    Yes, they're fantastic at ripping off Loop.
    вы все все равно скоро сдохнете

Quote Originally Posted by likwid View Post
    Yes, they're fantastic at ripping off Loop.
    Is that a joke? Danielsson was the inventor, designor, and producer. Loop just distributed the reels.

Is that a joke? Danielsson was the inventor, designor, and producer. Loop just distributed the reels.
    ^^^This
    Is Jim Larson still distributing Danielsson in the states? Good guy albeit a bit old and slow.