Whistler Bike Park update

Things are shaping up nicely for the summer season at the WBP. XC riding in the valley is awesome right now, and the snow is melting fast on the mountain. Squamish and Pemby riding is in full effect (and has been for some time).

Opening day (May 15) should have a good selection of trails off of the Fitz chair, including A line, B line, Crank it Up, and most of the double black single track. Still a fair bit of snow over towards EZ Does it and Dirt Merchant, probably nothing opening over there for opening day.

There is still a shitload of snow above the top of Fitz (still well over 3 metres of settled base mid mountain), so who knows when Garbo will go.

John Cowan is in town and has already started shaping the slopestyle and dual course with a D7 and a bobcat. Marty and Jay and the trail crew have been out buffing trails for a while already!

I'll try and get some pics next week while we are setting up.
    If you are pedalling or pushing up to ride, use extreme caution as trail work could be in progress, and some trails have downed trees/snow patches/rickety wood work. Please be very aware of the trail crew guys.

Ride on!

saweet!

Im stoked.
    Popping my WBP cherry the weekend of the 22nd.
    Any thoughts as to how much will be open in 2 weeks?
    Live

hell yeah....Whis is ready for summer fun already!

nice.

Damn, I wish alpine access was running so we could still be riding the bowls while the bike park is prepped..!

Damn recession. Blackcomb in spring is just NOT the same. ;p
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Quote Originally Posted by skiingsamurai View Post
    saweet!

Im stoked.
    Popping my WBP cherry the weekend of the 22nd.
    Any thoughts as to how much will be open in 2 weeks?
    I'm guessing, but by then probably most of the lower mountain (Fitz Chair) zone should be open, but nothing above (no Garbo or village Gondi).

That weekend is the Crud to Mud race, so if you are interested in racing, bring your skis/board and your bike. It's one of the most fun races of the season and you can take it as seriously (or not) as you like. Check the WB website, but I believe there will be a manditory racers meeting the night before at the GLC. Expect closures on a couple of bike trails on race day, probably for at least half the day.

See ya then

MTB park opens in a week? OMG I want to move to Whistler, is there a better quality of life any where?
    Hello darkness my old friend

thanks for the updates clownshoe, keep them coming.

looking forward to the fluidride race coming up in two weeks.

Alright, here's a bit more info.

The trails are in great shape, and the weather looks sweet for the weekend. A line, B line, Crank it Up have all been buffed and are looking great. Most of the singletrack including Crack Addict is good to go.

A few of your favorites are going to be closed this weekend. Sadly, Dirt Merchant is still snowy and muddy. Probably next weekend. Angry Pirate, Upper Downhill, part of Clownshoes, and part of the Canadian Open are also closed.

For all you diehards who can't help but go ride the closed stuff, please STAY OFF OF DIRT MERCHANT. It's really muddy, and you'll just fuck it up.

Did I mention trail crew? There's no shittier feeling for these guys than working like a dog to fix a berm or a landing and having some yahoo come flying at you out of nowhere. Similarly, there will be no shittier feeling for you than launching a jump on a closed trail and seeing an excavator in the landing. You have been warned!

Game on!

Bike Patrol emergency phone number: (604) 938 7720.

PS Big party at GLC Saturday after riding. A replay of Anthilll's new flick, and a Metallica cover band!
    Last edited by Clownshoe; 05-13-2010 at 07:13 PM.

So Whistler opening day was fun but so packed! The lines kept getting longer and longer throughout the day, average waiting time was 45 minutes. ALine was buffed out and a few of the jumps seemed to be built up even bigger. Lower ALine has a new jump to wallride feature, so if you are bored just jumping, now you can jump and ride a vertical wall. The bone yard was smoothed out and they have already bringing in the crankworx hits. We also rode crank it up, crack addict, b line, karate monkey, schleyers, (tried to ride clown shoes), joyride and a few others. Fell off my second skinny this year, this time my full face caught me instead of my crotch.

My buddy Brad and I each won a $25 gift card and used it on nachos, fish tacos and beer at the GLC. We sat out on the deck watching riders huck the GLC cliff. About one out of a hundred riders crash and gets a obnoxious cheer from the deck.

A big topic for many mountain bikers this year is FASHION. Less is more. Skinny jeans (preferably ripped out in the butt), bright cotton t-shirts ( lot of v-necks), no chest protector and most importantly no gloves. So pretty much there are two groups of people riding, riders who work and riders who’s parents work.

Dirt Merchant is now open and riding great!

Angry Pirate should also be open before the weekend.

Midweek is (as always) really quiet, so come ride while its quiet and everything is nice and smooth!

ill be rolling into town thurs night with 7 coworkers. Well be riding fri-sunday

bring the pain
    Live

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    Bike Patrol emergency phone number: (604) 938 7720.
    Thanks for posting that. I won't be there for months, but I'll put it in my phone now. Would have been very, very helpful two summers ago when we were trying to call for help and finding that there were multiple numbers on signs and passes. The first one or two we tried where not correct

Everything off of Fitz chair is open now.

Also, here's what my sources tell me about the Crud to Mud route:

Ski route: Maybe starting on Upper Whiskey, maybe starting on Upper Dave Murray. Dave Murray, Weasel(!!), Expressway, top of Crabapple.
    Bike route: TBA, but I'm guessing B-Line, Ho Chi Min.