Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    I traded an espresso maker for a set of mid 80's 223 Fisher RC DH's in pretty good shape, they have the low rise tips with the big hole VERY stiff & heavy ... at 155lb I am just along for the ride

I am gona try and get out on them once a week and definatley do the shussboomer fun DH race

I tried them out after moving the toe pieces, I haven't skied this type of ski in a lot of years ... you sure can't fake it

I found a pair of 212 Spalding GS Squadra Course's from the late 70's (?) leaning against a dumpster in Denver. They are RE..TARD...ED. Just need to make sure no one is within 100yds of you and you should be good to go. Would love to take them on a closed course.

198 Rossi team issue race room B-squads. Completely different dimensions and layup than the normal b squad which was already a notoriously stiff ski. These things only know how to go fast and have the most ridiculously stiff tails I have ever seen, straight up scary fun ski that makes any "modern" stiff ski like an XXL or an el dictator feel like a noodle

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I traded an espresso maker for a set of mid 80's 223 Fisher RC DH's in pretty good shape, they have the low rise tips with the big hole VERY stiff & heavy ... at 155lb I am just along for the ride

I am gona try and get out on them once a week and definatley do the shussboomer fun DH race

I tried them out after moving the toe pieces, I haven't skied this type of ski in a lot of years ... you sure can't fake it
    I used to have some 218 Fishers of the same era: cream colored with some orange stripes. One time a little death cookie came through one of those stupid tips when I was in a tuck at like 70 mph and hit me in the mouth. Good times.

Not sure how old this thread is, but a couple newer indie Skis come to mind.

Burly and Bad ass but still managable,

ON3P Wrengade
    Moment Garbones The older ones, STIFF as Shit in the 191'
    Made my 194 Legend Pros feel like a play thing
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Stockli Stormrider Dominique Perret Pro model. Among other things, Mr. Perret used them in 1998 to set the World vertical record of 120,000 meters skied non-stop in 14 hours 30 minutes. That's just a little over 390,700 feet! He was also wearing them in the extended Stockli promo video where the Alaskan ski plane comes in for a landing with him sitting on the pontoon and he steps off and skis away as soon as it touches down. Does the same in reverse to end the movie. Balls as big as grapefruits!

Coincidentally, I just happened to take my pair out for a spin last week to do some groomer zooming. They are 204 cm with a 74 mm waist (which was a powder ski back then, hence the "stormrider" name) and a triple layer of titanal (the sub-198 cm length only had two layers). Perret was also an extreme engineer and designed them himself.

I am getting too old and timid to come remotely close to getting them up to their speed limit, so if anyone is interested in taking them off my hands send me a PM. I love'm, but I hate to see them not reach their performance potential. Kinda of a waste to keep a Maserati in the garage.
    Gravity Junkie

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    Stockli Stormrider Dominique Perret Pro model. Among other things, Mr. Perret used them in 1998 to set the World vertical record of 120,000 meters skied non-stop in 14 hours 30 minutes. That's just a little over 390,700 feet! He was also wearing them in the extended Stockli promo video where the Alaskan ski plane comes in for a landing with him sitting on the pontoon and he steps off and skis away as soon as it touches down. Does the same in reverse to end the movie. Balls as big as grapefruits!
    Cool story bro, but what about this makes these skis stiff? If anything, you would want a softer ski for attempting to ski a huge amount of vert in a single day just so your quads wouldn't twist into an irreparable mess.

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    Cool story bro, but what about this makes these skis stiff? If anything, you would want a softer ski for attempting to ski a huge amount of vert in a single day just so your quads wouldn't twist into an irreparable mess.
    From what I can tell the original Stormrider Pros were designed to ski really fast in any condition, which is what Perret was doing when he set the world vert record, as well as every other time I have seen him ski in videos. At the time they came out they were considered a wide ski, but certainly not a powder ski by today's standards. As the thread title asks, they fit into the stiff, burly and badass classification.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by soups818 View Post
    I found a pair of 212 Spalding GS Squadra Course's from the late 70's (?) leaning against a dumpster in Denver. They are RE..TARD...ED. Just need to make sure no one is within 100yds of you and you should be good to go. Would love to take them on a closed course.
    This for me too- the original Squad aka the Black Death because they killed everything. I also had the 215 SG and 223 DH Squads, which made the GS boards seem easy to ski in comparison.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

I had a pair of 192 BD Zealots (the old beige colored ones with no rocker), they were easily the stiffest ski I've been on. You could only really use them for huge high speed GS turns in powder - not the type of turns you make in Vermont. Not the kind of ski you can relax on. I sold them after a season and got the Solly Rocker 2's - a much more fun ski.

^This
    Dynastar Big Dump and Bluehouse Shoots also come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobig21 View Post
    198 Rossi team issue race room B-squads. Completely different dimensions and layup than the normal b squad which was already a notoriously stiff ski. These things only know how to go fast and have the most ridiculously stiff tails I have ever seen, straight up scary fun ski that makes any "modern" stiff ski like an XXL or an el dictator feel like a noodle
    Explain.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Can't chime in and should be bashed for my shameless spam but do have 194 el dictators I don't need. PM me if you are interested

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Stiffest ski out there is the K2 luv bug. As for baddest that depends who you ask.
    Acutally I agree with this - at least if length is taken into account! I was not pleased when I got these. My bad ass daughter doesn't seem to mind though.....
    (But she does not seem to like turing - wonder why....)

As far as the stiffest I've ever skied, that would be my 215cm Atomic DH from about 2006-8.

As far as the stiffest, burliest skies made now, I would look to Black Crows and the Sevun II. It only comes in the 191cm, it's in the 140's at the tip, 117mm underfoot, and in the 130's at the tail. They are rockered in the tip and cambered everywhere else. Torsionally they cannot be deflected and long-ways they are monsters. They eat big terrain like Scarface through a mountain of blow.

The Sevun II is the Big Blue one

I demoed those Sevuns in Tignes early this season and loved them so much I tracked down a pair as soon as I got home.

Hand flexed they are about 80%-90% as stiff as my M1's, but on snow they are just as unstoppable. I'd say they ski better than the M1 with the rocker and 5 dim shape. Doesn't feel like a plank until you point them and charge.

Black Crows also makes a ski called the Crovus which is noticeably stiffer than the Sevun and comes in a 196.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TGR Forums

The wrong side of the Atlantic, the wrong side of the Channel...
    ^^^^ Agree that the 196 Corvus looks like a brute of a ski. Haven't ridden it, but I handflexed it (or tried to) in a shop not so long ago. I also found a pair of 190-ish Rossi Squads (I think from around 2006) that were in the sale. Scary things.

Has anyone else skied the 2007-2009 (I think) Stockli Stormrider DP pro +? Metal topsheet, swirly graphic, 101 under foot. It skied more badass and somehow a little friendlier than the 188 Scott Schmidt with the black/yellow graphic. I would occasionally hook those tips trying to get my 155lb frame to push those around. Anyways SR DP pro + baddest not race, not 'vintage' ski I've ever tried out

^^^ Stiffest ski I've been on was the old 195 Stockli Stormrider XL.
    78mm waist (?); blue topsheet with red and white accents, square tail.
    2.5 layers of titanal (one on top, one below, + a 1/2 sheet on top that was centered underfoot) .
    Waaaay to much ski for my 150# frame, but they turned me into a man.

And way to bump a 4 year old thread Jup.
    JONG!!!
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    ^^^ Stiffest ski I've been on was the old 195 Stockli Stormrider XL.
    78mm waist (?); blue topsheet with red and white accents, square tail.
    2.5 layers of titanal (one on top, one below, + a 1/2 sheet on top that was centered underfoot) .
    Waaaay to much ski for my 150# frame, but they turned me into a man.

And way to bump a 4 year old thread Jup.
    JONG!!!
    Sick ski, IIRC it was 194cm and 75mm underfoot, pretty much a wide cheater GS ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Has anyone else skied the 2007-2009 (I think) Stockli Stormrider DP pro +? Metal topsheet, swirly graphic, 101 under foot. It skied more badass and somehow a little friendlier than the 188 Scott Schmidt with the black/yellow graphic. I would occasionally hook those tips trying to get my 155lb frame to push those around. Anyways SR DP pro + baddest not race, not 'vintage' ski I've ever tried out
    They made those around 2010 or newer, prior to that they were 94mm underfoot. They made them in the he-man size 201cm. I've never seen the 101mm in person, but hand flexing the 201cm 94mm they were much softer than my 201cm Asteroids. Still a handful though because of the damp feel and weight.

http://www.skipass.com/guide-matos/s...er-dp-pro.html

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    They made those around 2010 or newer, prior to that they were 94mm underfoot. They made them in the he-man size 201cm. I've never seen the 101mm in person, but hand flexing the 201cm 94mm they were much softer than my 201cm Asteroids. Still a handful though because of the damp feel and weight.

http://www.skipass.com/guide-matos/s...er-dp-pro.html
    Those are the ones, Damian. I own a pair of DP pro + in the 176, but I blew up the sidewall in a few different spots a few years ago, they're destroyed.

I have a set of 193 ( I think) Mantras. Those are the stiffest ski I have ever used. Beat the piss out of my blown out knees and Leg with the Plate.

i'm stoked on skiing fast, love this thread.

What is the stiffest, burliest, baddest ski ever?

191 Head Monsters are ridiculously fast. No speed limit, at least not for mortals.