Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    I'll throw my hat in the ring, I tried to ski some 1950 Head Standards 220cm. I mounted them with some demo bindings and took them out on the hill. I knew they were were going to be rough so I got up some speed and really laid into a big sweeping turn and nothing, just fell on my side and slid to a stop. The weird thing was after some research these things were considered cheater skis in their day, because they were so easy to flex? I can't even imagine what logs the purists were riding.

Quote Originally Posted by ExoticSkis View Post
    For maximum "freight train" effect with minimal $$$...I would pick:

217 Atomic DH "race stock" with plates....only $149 plus shipping. Brand New. (only 9 years old)

http://cgi.ebay.com/02-Atomic-Race-D...item45f2b97bf7

Or Tyrone's 240 Speed Skis:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...=152765&page=2

http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/...d-skiing-skis:

Speedy's has:

07/08 Race Stock DH 215s with bindings for $499..Free Shipping
    http://skatewerks.com/07atrsdhskiw.html

08 Head DH "Race Stock" 216s with plate and ff17 binders for $499. Free Shipping
    http://skatewerks.com/herdgswocupr.html

08/08 Atomic DH "Race Stock" 215s (45m radius) w/plate (no binding) for $429. Free Shipping
    http://skatewerks.com/new06atgsras.html

2nded. If there is a debate that the raceroom red sled is the stiffest, burliest, most badass ski of all time, the argument would be for some other similar raceroom world cup DH board.

A ski specifically designed for 200+ lb Austrian World Cup athletes laying into it at 60+ mph on blue ice is going to be a tad more than your standard B-squad or m103....as burly as those skis are.

Quote Originally Posted by Doyle Hargrave View Post
    I'll throw my hat in the ring, I tried to ski some 1950 Head Standards 220cm. I mounted them with some demo bindings and took them out on the hill. I knew they were were going to be rough so I got up some speed and really laid into a big sweeping turn and nothing, just fell on my side and slid to a stop. The weird thing was after some research these things were considered cheater skis in their day, because they were so easy to flex? I can't even imagine what logs the purists were riding.
    That was what I skied back in the day, only I was one of the rebels and skied a "short" 195. They were an easy turning ski - but you have to know how to turn an old school ski. Found another pair in a dumpster, almost mint condition, still got them.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    2nded. If there is a debate that the raceroom red sled is the stiffest, burliest, most badass ski of all time, the argument would be for some other similar raceroom world cup DH board.

A ski specifically designed for 200+ lb Austrian World Cup athletes laying into it at 60+ mph on blue ice is going to be a tad more than your standard B-squad or m103....as burly as those skis are.
    Indeed. I've been on a variety of race stock skis and had my ass spanked every time.

DH boards however have an interesting flex; the tip is generally fairly soft, to allow the ski to follow the snow, then the flex stiffens to a reconkalous level. GS skis in a 188 are more consistently stiff and in some ways harder to ski because of it. The tip can throw you back hard.
    Living vicariously through myself.

haven't looked at pages 2-3, but... Garbones anyone?

K2 made a ski called the EIS "extreme ice ski" that thing was a beast in a 204cm. Late 80's maybe?

195 Lab Swallowtail
    186 Moment Donner Party
    182 Moment Reno Freebird
    180 Moment Tahoe

I'm gonna live forever if the good die young

Life is a suicide mission

I bought a pair of the original Line Prophet 130 protos from Arkin Banks on this board and they have Line's macro-block maple wood core with the metal matrix that is in the mothership now-a-days. They weight close to 85lbs for the set mounted with s916s. They feel incredibly stable at high speeds, but th turning radius must be close to 45 meters. I'm not sure if I have really ever put them on a true edge to carve - rather I have always just slarved my turns. I thought they were fun when I was in better shape, but now that I am "weak-er", I can't use them anymore. Now they hang on my wall as a tribute to the first real fat-fat ski.

Quote Originally Posted by vtdownhiller View Post
    K2 made a ski called the EIS "extreme ice ski" that thing was a beast in a 204cm. Late 80's maybe?
    I recently had a pair. They were VO's with yellow/green graphics to match the KVC/TRC/ELC motief. Like the VO's they came in race flex numbers from the factory. These ranged from 20.0-25.0, the 22 flexed EIS's were significantly different than the 24.8 flexed VO's I have. FWIW, I read the Mahres skied 26.5 flexed VO's.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Ive heard good things about faction 13, any insight?

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    That was what I skied back in the day, only I was one of the rebels and skied a "short" 195. They were an easy turning ski - but you have to know how to turn an old school ski. Found another pair in a dumpster, almost mint condition, still got them.
    You are a great and powerful man.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    I have a pair of VIRGIN Race stock 204 VO's R serial number 24.8 rave flex. One of the skis is still in the factory plastic and hasn't been touched by hands out of the K2 factory since 1985. I have its brother too, a matching pair of GS Electra's in a 207.

Bindings are on, just for show.

I also had a pair of EIS's that were eventually passed along to another collector.
    Wow that pic brings back some memories...I had the 710's, and 810's back in the day--always wanted a 2teen length 910 but couldn't afford it. All mine had those same Marker bindings. I loved those skis. K2 made some great skis back then. Never got a chance to ski VO's though...
    Last edited by Kim Jong-un; 11-02-2010 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Jong-un View Post
    Wow that pic brings back some memories...I had the 710's, and 810's back in the day--always wanted a 2teen length 910 but couldn't afford it. All mine had those same Marker bindings. I loved those skis. K2 made some great skis back then. Never got a chance to ski VO's though...
    I am looking for some 610's and 810's to complete the set.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Not race skis, but Stockli Asteroids circa 2001 were freakin freight trains. I'm lovin the vintage DH boards! My dad has some 210 atomics that I might have to take out this year.

not sure why any one would want a sik THAT stiff!?? but if your looking for a charger that'll bust through a brick wall? squads are a good option. or if your looking for something newer, go with say a moment 190 ruby. i ride these and love em for a day after a storm. or xxl's rock to.

from my personal experience:

-xxls- def fit the criteria. charge anything. not the stiffest ever created.

-bsquad- haven't skied em yet (still nip sitting in my corner), but they're stiffer than the xxls. slightly skinnier.

-210-220ish Rossi Excess- So stable straightlining the mountain top to bottom was nothing. probably could've been reading the paper and drinking my coffee.

-never touched or seen in person, but the rc112's that keep popping up on sac look siiiicccckk!!

I have 201 asteroids, 210 atomic women's DH (current FIS spec), and 218 Volkl DH (a few years old). All are great on groomers, and "interesting" anywhere else....................lol.

Iggy snowdoobies. but I like the ON3P Cease and Desist, never seen such bomber edges/bases combo ever.

Rob in ARG had a pair of Volkl race WC DH 220 something .. ridiculous flexing i could get it to deflect with my full weight ultra low profile tip.

and one guy a few years back pulled a pair of 210 ( i think) volkl helipro from a skip..weird thing .. never seen one since

basicly a xxl with a P9 glued on top. he needed a drink after trying those out

As a kid I skied on 207 Dynamic VR17's. Stiff as hell, but I didn't really know it at the time. Moved on to some 209 raceroom K2 910 Comps that I got used from a UNM racer. I loved those skis... I've spent quite a few years recently on the original Rossi xxx (Hugo's?) in a 198. The serial # is 58!!! It's the stiffest and heaviest ski I've ever skied. I love'em and always regret it when I try something else instead.
    Don't ask.... Don't tele

Quote Originally Posted by 5B View Post
    I bought a pair of Bro Blems from Splat, 188 stiffs. I could do nothing with them. I sold them here then observed that same pair sell 3 more times. I think they were really XXX-stiff FrankenBros or something.

Me too!

30+ meter TR, Kicked my lily white, and I am 6'2" 210, but then I don't ski AK spines

....But I am training to!

3 years and back from the dead on this one eh?

195 Motherships
    No, the real point is, I don't give a damn
    - Carl

In high school I had a pair of 215cm Kneissl Riesenslalom's (race GS skis). I weighted 135#. Perfect ski for southern Michigan. Supposedly had release bindings--Geze toes, some kind of turntable heel--but they never released for me so I don't really know if they did.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    In high school I had a pair of 215cm Kneissl Riesenslalom's (race GS skis). I weighted 135#. Perfect ski for southern Michigan. Supposedly had release bindings--Geze toes, some kind of turntable heel--but they never released for me so I don't really know if they did.
    haha you already posted the same shit in this thread in 2010

this might be the sickest picture ever posted on TGR
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by Two06 View Post
    haha you already posted the same shit in this thread in 2010
    I've been known to post the same shit I posted yesterday--2 years is nothing.