Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I had a pair of 192 BD Zealots (the old beige colored ones with no rocker), they were easily the stiffest ski I've been on. You could only really use them for huge high speed GS turns in powder - not the type of turns you make in Vermont. Not the kind of ski you can relax on. I sold them after a season and got the Solly Rocker 2's - a much more fun ski.
    I'm no expert on the history of stiffest skis ever, but I have some 2007-08 Zealots (ugly brown color) and agree with 2013HankScorpio: they are STIFF and BURLY.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

I'm a Volkl Katana fanboy... They're stiff, fast, but somehow still versatile and nimble when they need to be (provided you know how to tell a stiff ski what to do).

Quote Originally Posted by ClayCole View Post
    I'm a Volkl Katana fanboy... They're stiff, fast, but somehow still versatile and nimble when they need to be (provided you know how to tell a stiff ski what to do).
    Sit down and shut up JONG. Do you weigh 120 lbs soaking wet? This is for stiff, burly skis. Katana's are medium daily drivers for this crowd.

That said, I could never get a pair of 193 No Ka Oi's to flex (the AK vintage), and I'm 240 and skied them much harder back in my 20's. Mother fucking hawaiian rocket sleds, those things. They did what they wanted and you were along for the ride.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

What is the stiffest, burliest, baddest ski ever?

Quote Originally Posted by aevergreene View Post
    191 Head Monsters are ridiculously fast. No speed limit, at least not for mortals.
    My Parlor Cardinal 100 stiff layup maple/..aspen? full camber (rocker is for wimps) is as stiff as the monsters in the tail and underfoot but a little more forgiving in the tip/shovel, reminds me of the flex pattern of hologram top Stockli SS pro of the late 2000s. Probably for the best that it softens a little. Basically thought of those in my quiver as a replacement for the DP pro +

The monsters are maybe the chargiest looking ski I've ever seen because apparently they aren't very hard to turn. The parlors don't turn off piste until you hit 35-40+.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 07-29-2017 at 05:58 PM.

The Monster 108s (110mm underfoot on the 191) are surprisingly easy to ski. They do want more input than katanas, however not much more. The camber makes them quite lively at speed, and they do what you want in tight stuff, when its firm. They have the opposite camber profile to the Katanas, but they perform quite similarly in bumps. The turn radius feels shorter on the monsters, and the edges hook up much easier/better. The monster can charge harder than the katana, its not nearly as washy. The HEADs are also more carvey, less slarvey, but they are good at quick speed checks as needed.

They are great skis.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Sit down and shut up JONG. Do you weigh 120 lbs soaking wet? This is for stiff, burly skis. Katana's are medium daily drivers for this crowd.

That said, I could never get a pair of 193 No Ka Oi's to flex (the AK vintage), and I'm 240 and skied them much harder back in my 20's. Mother fucking hawaiian rocket sleds, those things. They did what they wanted and you were along for the ride.
    I'm 6'5" 195 lb ex ski racer, so not a light weight but not a Clydesdale either.

Are you thinking of the V works katana? Because I've had the 2008-2010 metal versions and they were all comparable in stiffness to GS race skis. I've never wished they were stiffer, and I've watched others on the hill not be able to bend them. I know there are stiffer planks available though, sorry for polluting your stiffy fest with my favorite titanium noodles.

Damn... total beanpole. How the hell are you that tall but weigh so little?

I spent the second half of last season on get 194cm Kastle MX 98. Two full sheets of metal, look and ski like a fat GS ski. I don't think they qualify as the burliest, stiffest ever, but they are up there. Don't let the skis take control or you'll go for a ride really fast. There are days I miss my 187 Bonafides for how easy they were to ski, but the feeling of controlling the Kastles, and crushing everything in sight, is amazing. I struggled controlling them in 6in of medium to heavy new snow, but I think that's more my lack of technique, and instead of forcing myself to learn how to ski the Kastles in that stuff, I grab my 203 Shiros instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Damn... total beanpole. How the hell are you that tall but weigh so little?
    Lol. 195 aint too bad, I feel like thats skinny but not overtly so. Borderline

I used to know a guy 6'6" 175. He was pretty strong actually, but he was deep in beanpole territory

I need to get down to 195 for this season

I had a pair of VO Slaloms back in the day. Pretty fucking stiff.

Also pretty damn stiff are the 190 OG Exploders I still have.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

since we're not talking about the stiffest, burliest ski ever anymore, and just throwing stiff ski observations around: The old brown Armada Ants were a ski that needed some driving. Also, back in the late 90s I had a pair of 200cm Hart Outbacks that were a real handful. If I'm not mistaken both of those skis were metal on wood from the Atomic factory in Altenmarkt.

The whole bar on what makes a stiff ski has shifted so far though. The race era after boots got very rigid and before technique became more two-footed and driven by sidecut had some seriously stiff fucking skis. And good skiers skied those all over the hill...moguls, trees, all of it. Hell, RD made a ski for Alaska, the "Valdez Extreme" and you could get it in a 220 . I saw a pair of K2 Extremes once that were clearly a raceroom thing, with the Extreme graphic/topsheet on top of a DH board.

Blizzard Titan Zeus sounds pretty stiff. Can be had for cheap here (assuming it's still available and the seller isn't a flake):

https://www.geartrade.com/item/50723...itan-zeus-185#

titanium.
    Despite what Volkl says in their literature or what Blizzard prints on their topsheets, there is zero titanium in skis.
    Its titanal.

Which is aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Which is aluminum
    I feel lied to. Noted.

Also after reading this thread I am hunting for some head monster 98s in 184 or 191 to replace my Katanas as daily drivers. I bought some Cochise 193s for that purpose and I don't love them.

I feel lied to. Noted.

Also after reading this thread I am hunting for some head monster 98s in 184 or 191 to replace my Katanas as daily drivers. I bought some Cochise 193s for that purpose and I don't love them.
    We all were, myh friend, we all were!
    Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Which is aluminum
    and zinc, and magnesium and copper and zirconium

I'd throw 1st gen Whitedot Ragnaroks into the round. One of the last big mountain chargers which were stiff like fuck and impossible to bend for mere mortals.

The 191 Monsters are pretty hard to find. No real deals to be had, only retail.. and still hard to find

I feel lied to. Noted.

Found some 184's: https://www.dawgcatching.com/product...ant=7082478913
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by aevergreene View Post
    The 191 Monsters are pretty hard to find. No real deals to be had, only retail.. and still hard to find
    Did you try out the 184 before you bought the 191?

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post

laughing. i tried to ski and still have iggy fff's in a softer flex. and for purely bc stuff, yeah, after a few too many laps,

they started skiing me.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    since we're not talking about the stiffest, burliest ski ever anymore, and just throwing stiff ski observations around: The old brown Armada Ants were a ski that needed some driving.
    second this. from the blue gen on they were mid-range, but that earlier gen really needed to be worked, at least in the 191.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    I'm so keen to try the 108 Monster - for sh!t f@q conditions at my local. At 6'1 x 170-175 I'm guessing 184?

This is a pretty useless comment but I bought those moment skis last season, very little tip rocker, almost no tail rocker. These fuckers are stiff. I forgot what they're called, but the tallacs are the thin version.

I feel like they plow through anything. But let your guard off and you'll eat shit. Love em, sorta...Actually not really

^^^ Governors? I had the 196 a few years back, I thought they were significantly easier to ski than the Monster 108. Good skis though, still rage-able, but more playful and slarvy. The govs will carve much cleaner than (191)Billy Goats, but the speed limits are similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    I went right to the 191, I wasnt aiming for a daily driver.. I was surprised by how easy they were to ski, in the right conditions. Absolute missile when you want though

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    I'm so keen to try the 108 Monster - for sh!t f@q conditions at my local. At 6'1 x 170-175 I'm guessing 184?
    I'm 6'2", 210lbs on the 191. I have no doubt that I would get along with the 184, and actually, I want that size too..Dont be afraid to size down with this ski, it's the real deal.