Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Iggy MFFL Joe Flame in a 300 flex.
    I have hand "flexed" these ^ and they are the first ones they came to mind. ABSURDly stiff.

I concur on the first gen M103s. the 198 XXXX Hugos belong in this group too. Couldn't turn either of those.

Stockli Scot Schmidt's in 188. Can't speak to a lot of the others mentioned here, but the longer SS was a serious ski: Three layers of metal, very heavy, and utterly unforgiving; big lines at big speeds, or go the hell home. I own the 178's, and they're the closest rec ski to a FIS spec GS that I know of.

jerr is offline Underwater trapeze artist
    ^^^I don't know how these compare to the above but Bliz Titan Pros are very nasty skis - stupid stiff. The mountain got really small when I clicked into that program.
    Nine out of ten Jeremy's prefer a warm jacket to a warm day

the 195 phantom sc108's were super stiff, never skied em but from a handflex they felt pretty damn planky. have a feeling they don't compare to some of the iggys and stuff though.

I own the Rossignol sc 108 in a 185, the 191 Blizzard Kreitler Pros and have skied the 194 Dynastar XXLs. Here's my opinion of the order of stiffness:

1. Kreitlers - things are really difficult to manipulate (i.e. get into user defined carve) on hard groomed. Not sure there is that much difference hand flexing them between the other two. I at least need to be at significant speed to turn em, but I like that and I like the skis.
    2. Rossignol sc 108s
    3. Dynastar XXL - stiff, but easy to ski...good skis

I like stiffer skis and am liking the early rise more an more on my ON3P wrens, so a combo of the two is the best. Given the early rise, my ideal ski is 194-198 super stiff with early rise and around a 30 radius.

The "effectively*" stiffest feeling ski I tried was some team version of the Head 103. Mega stiff up front and super damped. In a way it made them easy to ski though, because once at speed, the just went like trains. But at the same time I think they were the least fun ski I've been on (on par with some first gen big daddys which sucked big time, but they were not badass, just bad).

*ie stiffest feeling but still skiable: I also have some old DH and even older (60s) GS skis which make the Heads and anything contemporary feel like noodles.

corky, the owner of green mountain sports has a pair of protoype jean claude killy's skis (made from fiberglass and carbon in the mid 60's) that are without question the stiffest skis i have ever seen. they dominate any claim of a modern ski (ie the monster, squad stuff. those are NOT stiff compared to old skis), and would be i dunno... a 340 on the igneous scale or something ridiculous....
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    (ie the monster, squad stuff. those are NOT stiff compared to old skis)
    Truth here. May have to reposition earlier SS vote. Forgot. I owned a pair of Dynamic VR17's from 70's and never did flex them. Just torsion box woodies, but seemed about 4 inches thick. Brutal to ski on.

My *cough* lightly used 192 BRO Blem stiffs are pretty planky. Slush bumps just disintegrate. Would have been nice to ski them when new. Kniessl Red Star 210 SL's were decently stiff, they made a nice ring tone when slapped thru icy bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by dingjong View Post
    rugbydave how do the 189 compare to the 194s and the ones you are currently skiing on?

El Chupacabra
    what are the dimensions on the FFF's? Are thet still produced?
    The 189s skied stiffer than the 194s on account that they were built the same but were a shorter lever. I'm currently skiing the 198 RC112s and I'd say the flex is comparable to the Squads although the combo of the added length and the rocker make them more versatile and easier to ski. They just ski plain diferently too, much damper than the Squads, which I'd attribute to their wood core vs the Squad's foam. My 2 cents
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Powder

i haven't skiied 'em yet but i have a pair of undrilled 180 lacroix powder IX.
    it almost hurts the arms to give 'em a good hand flex. mega camber to boot.
    the only skis in the house that are stiffer is an ancient pair of wooden boards with segmented edges and ebonite bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    Truth here. May have to reposition earlier SS vote. Forgot. I owned a pair of Dynamic VR17's from 70's and never did flex them. Just torsion box woodies, but seemed about 4 inches thick. Brutal to ski on.
    I used to ski on some 225 VR`s from the late 80`s. They were stiff indeed, an ok dh board but not fun to free ski on.

Bluehouse Shoots? They make my XXL's feel like bump skis.

The VR17s had flex numbers pressed into the p-tex at the tip of the ski.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Can't believe the Moment M1 and Garbone haven't been mentioned. Definitely stiff skis.

Splat has definitely produced a few one-off scary stiff Bros too.

The Head 220 DH boards on the far left still beat the crap out of me...but not in the same league as Tyrone's 240s or the lightningboards...
    Mass-Produced Skiers Use Mass-Produced Skis
    Rip it up with something different.
    Support small and independent ski builders
    http://www.ExoticSkis.com

Quote Originally Posted by dingjong View Post
    What is the stiffest, burliest, baddest ski ever?
    1983 Chevy El Camino metal bumpers mounted and skied by Shane. Stiffest and burliest for sure. But maybe not the baddest (not very long).

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Ask the Herminator:

some of our (WhiteDot) Ragnarokk's proto's were pretty damn stiff...but then they would be being the pro model of a guy who jumps 107m cliffs, thank god for tip rocker though!

2nd Igneous skis

Igneous 190 cm FFL Fall Line Fat. 265 flex
    absolute leg breakers.

also 190 FFF 245 flex. Great soft snow ski. hard conditions "4 get about it"

Both ski longer and stiffer than anything I had tried before.

well there are fat stiff skis and then there are race skis. Some of the salomon and atomic WC downhill boards I've felt in a 220 felt way way stiffer than 194 big daddies, squads, shoots and anything else ive flexed.

Quote Originally Posted by samthaman View Post
    well there are fat stiff skis and then there are race skis. Some of the salomon and atomic WC downhill boards I've felt in a 220 felt way way stiffer than 194 big daddies, squads, shoots and anything else ive flexed.
    truth, that's really what this argument depends on. my old 210 yellow rossi SG's that i raced on back in high school were probably the stiffest thing i've been on.

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    Pocket Rockets. Uncontrollable!

Kniessl 224 White Star Team DH. They're about 2" thick and have NO flex. Can't believe to this day that Len Stock could "turn" these.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    corky, the owner of green mountain sports has a pair of protoype jean claude killy's skis (made from fiberglass and carbon in the mid 60's) that are without question the stiffest skis i have ever seen. they dominate any claim of a modern ski (ie the monster, squad stuff. those are NOT stiff compared to old skis), and would be i dunno... a 340 on the igneous scale or something ridiculous....
    Yea, but width makes a huge difference in how something skis.

My 200cm FFF's aren't anywhere near as stiff as my b squads, but they on a whole other level as far as stability and how much work it takes to drive them. After spending a day on the fff's, the squads feel downright playful.

I've skied stiff 200cm+ race skis, both new and old, and they all felt jittery compared to the iggies.
    Last edited by leroy jenkins; 05-17-2010 at 08:26 AM.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.