Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    The dictator is also too light for how stiff it is and gets pinged around. Don’t mistake unforgiving for being stable or badass. The only people who should be skiing it are those getting it for free because no one should pay to ride it. It’s just a bad ski...
    I'm glad you said this. I'm desperately looking for a new, but old-school-style charger, and those popped up.

I asked my local Dynastar shop, the good one, and they didn't even know about the 2020 Pro Rider F-Team. I hope I can get my hands on a pair. The shop buyer is going to look into it for me. Luckily I just bought some boots from them, so they should care.

Worst case scenario a Mantra 102 or Mindbenter 99/108 will still be good. Possibly great. I was reading your reviews Xavier, and you were saying there are less mediocre skis now. It seems like the era of ski experimentation is over (heavy taper and weird designs) and companies are figuring out what works, not producing any mediocre skis. Or at least less so than 2010-2016. I find some of the lighter (but not too light) skis actually getting more damp as technology improves too.

What is the stiffest, burliest, baddest ski ever?

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    The dictator is also too light for how stiff it is and gets pinged around. Don’t mistake unforgiving for being stable or badass. The only people who should be skiing it are those getting it for free because no one should pay to ride it. It’s just a bad ski...
    QFT.

I read reviews of this ski being too badass. I demoed the 3.0 in a 192 and it was not overly stiff or burly. It was way too light for charging in variable as mentioned above. It’d be an awesome ski if they added some heft to it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Skied my new to me first generation 194 Kastle MX98 squaretails on the WROD.
    I ain't skeered, even if I do only weigh a buck-fifty.

At first it kind of felt like I was along for the ride.
    But then I channeled the female-French-ski-racing-coach-of-some-other-forum-member-who-yelled:

"Harms up! Harms up!
    Knees forward!
    Pressure the shins!
    Drive the tips!!!"

Her strident admonitions combined with aggressive pole planting and dynamic weight transfers made them surprisingly easy to ski.
    Then about 75% down both quads went about 75% cramp.
    Skied through it, did a couple more runs on them and got "Whoops!!" of delight from some other WROD denizens as I mached by.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

That’s a great point about the dictators, I never really considered the lack of weight to be the issue at hand, I’ve skied and enjoyed skis that were equally as stiff as the dictator (og metal Katanas spring to mind) but you’re right that particular ski just didn’t hold a line well and got redirected off of every little bump in the snow. On the flip side the new VWerks Katana is nearly as light and (I may get flamed for saying this) I thought it skied pretty damn well not a ski I own but I demoed it with great skepticism and came away surprised by its performance.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Skied my new to me first generation 194 Kastle MX98 squaretails on the WROD....
    They are an incredibly rewarding ski when the right input is applied. As all skis should be.

I assume the 193 Blizzard Titan Pro has been mentioned by this point. Koa wood core made them light and pretty nimble, but they were stiffer than Squads and had a tail that demanded your full attention. Maybe not the baddest ever, but definitely a stiff, uncompromising ski.

Quote Originally Posted by mastergaper View Post
    That’s a great point about the dictators, I never really considered the lack of weight to be the issue at hand, I’ve skied and enjoyed skis that were equally as stiff as the dictator (og metal Katanas spring to mind) but you’re right that particular ski just didn’t hold a line well and got redirected off of every little bump in the snow. On the flip side the new VWerks Katana is nearly as light and (I may get flamed for saying this) I thought it skied pretty damn well not a ski I own but I demoed it with great skepticism and came away surprised by its performance.
    Granted, I never skied the metal katana, but own OG cochise and Bodacious. I think the vwerks katana is an awesome ski. Not the burliest baddest ski, but a very capable ski.

Yea I agree that it’s not the most burly or bad ass ski simply saying that it is possible to make a ski that performs that is lighter weight.

The pro rider isn’t that stiff, it’s actually fairly soft compared to other burly skis. But it’s stiff enough and more importantly it’s super damp with lots of metal

^^agreed^^ and the way they conform to terrain with their softish forebodies is amazing.

But then I channeled the female-French-ski-racing-coach-of-some-other-forum-member-who-yelled:

"Harms up! Harms up!
    Knees forward!
    Pressure the shins!
    Drive the tips!!!"

Her strident admonitions combined with aggressive pole planting and dynamic weight transfers made them surprisingly easy to ski.
    Then about 75% down both quads went about 75% cramp.
    Skied through it, did a couple more runs on them and got "Whoops!!" of delight from some other WROD denizens as I mached by.
    I believe somewhere on here when talking about the MX98 I said they force you to ski correctly or else they will ski you! Congrats on getting them out. Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Mind bender in a 186 is a ripper I bet the 193 length is burly

Yeah? Genuinely curious, as some buddies who love their Cochises and found LPs a handful find the 186 Mindbender a bit meh!

Well, the Whitedot Ragnaroks VII are stiffest ski I own and ride. Everytime I pick these killers I have to man up and get myself into the terminator-modus

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4250.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	300802

The Black Crows Sevun, the LP 105 and the Katana 198 are in comparison rather soft and easy to ski...

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Yeah? Genuinely curious, as some buddies who love their Cochises and found LPs a handful find the 186 Mindbender a bit meh!
    Try the pinnacle 118 in 191.the rest of the pinnacle line is ho hum but the 118 is big dick ski

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by east bear fr View Post
    Very nice pick. My daily driver. Awesome for what they are.
    A modern iteration of old im103, with way shorter radius. Much more manageable in any condition, way better carver.
    Offtopic, did you mount on the line? Going to mount mine this week.

Lähetetty minun FIG-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

What do you guys think would be stiffer/damper, and better on firm crud, Nordica Enforcer 110 or Mindbendter 108ti?

Enforcer is meh.

Damn they get a lot of great reviews, I thought I could save money and go with that REDDD top sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    Offtopic, did you mount on the line? Going to mount mine this week.

I've got two pairs monster 108s, the 191s and 177s. I would definitely recommend mounting on the line. The 191s I picked up from this board came with demos and I messed around with different positions. My inclination was to go forward since it's such a traditional mount but on the line the skis come alive, the control and response of the ski is very intuitive. It was a very noticeable difference even going .5cm back and forward of the line to confirm. You do have to get used to a lot of tip out in front of you but the monsters do not need to be driven as hard old school style like you would be prone to assume by their look and flex. Amazing skis that are, of course, not made anymore

To be more on topic, the 191s have absolutely no speed limit. One of the most damp and stable skis I have ever been on. The 194 4FRNT devastator made straightlining anything feel as mellow as descending an escalator, but again I wouldn't describe them as burly or bad since they can be pushed around backseat pooper style.

Bluehouse shoots were pretty rediculous, Scott made a 200cm ski with a boat hull tip that was quite retarded. Nordica w105s come to mind as well but the biggest burliest skis I've ever seen were some proto old school 200cm rossi bandit xxxx's that Brant Moles had, literally a 2×4 with a tip on one end.
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    I've got two pairs monster 108s, the 191s and 177s. I would definitely recommend mounting on the line. The 191s I picked up from this board came with demos and I messed around with different positions. My inclination was to go forward since it's such a traditional mount but on the line the skis come alive, the control and response of the ski is very intuitive. It was a very noticeable difference even going .5cm back and forward of the line to confirm. You do have to get used to a lot of tip out in front of you but the monsters do not need to be driven as hard old school style like you would be prone to assume by their look and flex. Amazing skis that are, of course, not made anymore

To be more on topic, the 191s have absolutely no speed limit. One of the most damp and stable skis I have ever been on. The 194 4FRNT devastator made straightlining anything feel as mellow as descending an escalator, but again I wouldn't describe them as burly or bad since they can be pushed around backseat pooper style.

Bluehouse shoots were pretty rediculous, Scott made a 200cm ski with a boat hull tip that was quite retarded. Nordica w105s come to mind as well but the biggest burliest skis I've ever seen were some proto old school 200cm rossi bandit xxxx's that Brant Moles had, literally a 2×4 with a tip on one end.
    Yeah, I thought on the line too. Thanks for info!

No worries man, enjoy em. I found myself overdriving the tips at first based on their reputation but they can be pushed into any turn shape so smoothly.. a technicians dream.
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Enforcer is meh.

Can you elaborate on this? I have a pair in plastic that I got a really good deal on that I still haven't committed to. I'm on the fence about them as an in-bounds powder ski in Colorado. Was thinking of flipping them and just getting the Woodsman.

Enforcer would be an everyday inbounds ski in CO. Shit, it would be here in Missoula. Are you old? Tiny? Old and tiny?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Enforcer would be an everyday inbounds ski in CO. Shit, it would be here in Missoula. Are you old? Tiny? Old and tiny?
    Nah I just ski a not-very-steep mountain that gets tracked out pretty quickly. I am light. Woodsman 116 @ 187 is what I should be on though...

Quote Originally Posted by TGRBadass View Post
    What do you guys think would be stiffer/damper, and better on firm crud, Nordica Enforcer 110 or Mindbendter 108ti?
    I've never skied either of those 2 skis. I don't think either fits the topic of this thread. But I read Blister's take on those 2 skis, and it sounds like they concluded that 186cm Mindbender 108ti is more stable in crud/variable, and is better on firm snow...than the 185cm Enforcer 110.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

I feel you pain. We were at A-Basin and wi was skiing with Griffin Post and he was on that ski. For some reason he asked me to switch, I was on a MX88 and I had to ski that MX98 194 down Pali with huge Spring bumps. It was just after lunch that was my last run of the day.
    Click. Point. Chute.