Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can't access netflix from home

Well, it would appear that at&t is blocking netflix from my house. It appears that the netfilx domain si blocked, but the rest of the internet is fair game. This is annoying mainly since our service is too slow to watch anything over the internet and all we want to do is browse and change our queue.

Anyone have any ideas for work arounds? Bitch to AT&T? Net neutrality polyasshat forum, jong?
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Seeing that netflix doesn't charge extra for watching instantly, you're only way to take this is at at&t. Reaching out to netflix might get you some info on others that faced the same thing.
    Or you could just get another internet provider because your's obviously sucks balls.
    Ελευθερία ή θάνατος
    "Great moments are born from great opportunity."

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    it would appear that at&t is blocking netflix from my house. It appears that the netfilx domain si blocked,
    What specifically are you seeing to make you think it's actually blocked?

I just checked and can see netflix fine through an AT&T connection in Seattle.

The tubes in your area maybe blocked somehow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I can ping and tracert www.netflix.com just fine, but when I go to load the site, it never comes up. Tried this on a couple computers with different browsers. This leads me to believe that att is throttling back netflix data.

It is known that the data lines in my area are overloaded and are set to be upgraded in the next 6-12 months. Damn college kids and their torrents.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Sounds to me that it's more likely just your crappy dsl.

Fixing/changing that easier than proving conspiracy theory? Your ISP's terms of service probably "allow" them to do it anyway.

Have you called AT&T about this yet? If not, do so. Let them know what's up. They may not actively be blocking it. It could just be a glitch somewhere.

If it doesn't improve, and you determine that they are truly, actively blocking it then write the FCC. This is the reason we need net neutrality. Speaking of which, the FCC got some serious balls yesterday. They're going to classify ISPs as common carriers. This is hugely awesome news.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

One thing to test when a site won't work is to replace the www with m (for mobile). Also maybe try changing your network properties to use a different more public DNS server, though your ping test seems to indicate that probably isn't the problem.

Arty I was just reading spam email that FCC's Genachowski indicated yesterday he was moving toward fucking the big ISPs and promoting net neutrality.

Good news indeed.

Big governement saving us from the "free" market again.

Try a different DNS server. Also try going into command prompt and typing ipconfig/flushdns or something like that. First try using a different browser. Maybe you added it to a block list by accident.
    Are you going through a router? Try plugging directly into the modem. I don't there there is a bigger socioeconomic issue here.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

can you get to it by IP? http://208.75.76.17

did you already clear your history, cache and cookies on either machine? Reboot your both your modem and router?

Sounds like dns to me. But always try the normal stuff first if you didnt already. If you can get to it by ip, just had a host entry in your host file or use a different DNS server. I get to it fine on the dsl line here at work (att) that we use for testing.

If you have a wii you can get a netflix app for it and it might hide it from at&t. A friend uses this with comcast in SLC.

I doubt AT&T is the problem. I have U-Verse here in San Ramon, and I don't have any issues with Netflix at all. And that includes a decent amount of streaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Ahhhh...I forgot about DNS. AT&Ts DNS servers are notoriously flakey.

www.opendns.com is your friend.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Ok, so I'm back home and running down the list

Flush DNS, connect to main site: didn't load
    Connect to mobile site: didn't load
    Connect directly to ip: didn't load
    Reboot modem/router: didn't load
    Flushed history/cache etc.: didn't load

I don't have time to try out the opendns link, any other ideas? I'll probably call at&t soon, in the meantime, my wife can't pick the movies

No problem with connecting to netflix using ATT from here. I'm going to guess that it's the dns server that you're defaulting to with a fucked up routing table. You could flush the dns and it wouldn't make any difference until the routing table is rebuilt on the dns server's end. that normally happens incrementally, but if you get a hold of ATT you might be able to convince them to dump it and force a rebuild.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

try 8.8.8.8, that's Goggle's DNS.
    Did you try a different browser? any addons running that may conflict? Check the block list? Only other thing could be that there is a piece of malware specifically designed to interrupt netfilx service. Run spybot or something.
    No longer stuck.

I don't have time to try out the opendns link, any other ideas? I'll probably call at&t soon, in the meantime, my wife can't pick the movies
    You'll be done with OpenDNS by the time you get off hold with AT&T.

Well???????
    No longer stuck.

8.8.8.8 is no good.

If you can ping via the domain name and get a result then the DNS is probably not the issue. Can't comment on AT&T as they do not have much in the way of service around my area (wireless only) - Verizon for the major local phone. So it could be a blocking that they are doing if you could reach them with the tracert reaches the site. Same for the fact that you tried their IP address instead of the domain name.

Browser options have been tried - different ones and different computers, so sounds like that is off the list. I'd say it is time to bounce it off of AT&T to see what insight they can provide... same for Netflix - I'd make a call to them too.

If it is Net neutrality, then that sucks on their part, but others are reporting no issues too under AT&T connections.

I'm gonna go with some kind of malware.
    Run a full scan with spybot and avg.
    Then waste your time on the phone.
    No longer stuck.

8.8.8.8 is no good.
    Try 4.2.2.2 and put in 4.2.2.3 as an alternate.

I'm gonna go with some kind of malware.
    Run a full scan with spybot and avg.
    Then waste your time on the phone.
    You may be onto something. I hooked up my work laptop (clean system, runs norton daily, cc cleaner and spybot weekly) and was able to connect to netflix. Still unable to connect with my personal laptop, which is running avg on daily scans, but no spybot. Looks like I have some cleanup to do. Thanks guys.

You didn't get that from watching netflix....
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

No, the Mrs. most likely got it from facebook links. I never turn the computer on at home anymore.