"Err 01" Message

So I've had a Tamron 17-50 on my Canon 40D for about 6 weeks now, and everything has been great. Starting last week, I've been getting an "err 01: Contacts between lens and Camera faulty. Clean lens contacts" message.

I've tried cleaning them, but I'm still getting the same message. My other lenses work fine with the camera, so I'm pretty sure it has to do with the Tamron lens. I've already contacted Tamron, who said I can send the lens back for repair. I'd rather not, since I've got a couple trips coming up in a few weeks that I'd like to have the lens for.

Any ideas?
    My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We're bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We're coming in from the north, below their radar.

Take a finest grit emery board to the contacts on the lens, just lightly scuff them (could be oxidation) to get some fresh metal contact. If that doesn't help then the problem lies after the contacts inside the lens (wire could have broken loose) and you'll need to send it in for repair anyway.